Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex-Slow link response

bajandy

I live in Chula Vista which has slow (3M) internet speed.  Lately I have noticed that clicking on a link is slow to respond.  At times the attempted connection times out.  I have a netspeed monitor that at times goes to zero down and drops out for several minutes.

I have had my TelMex modem for several years.  I have heard that TelMex has changed their Internet protocol and given new modems to some people.  Does anyone have an educated guess whether my problem is the modem or just plain poor service in Chula Vista?

I have a similar problem with my Telecable internet which does not surprise me.  I have assumed that TelMex altho slow speed should be more consistent.

Before I dive into my setup I would welcome some informed opinions.

A few things to try, based on our experiences and Telmex's explanation of the procedures to follow: Phone the service number on your bill and tell the rep your problem. You will get a service number, which you should record and telmex will set up a service call. (For some odd reason, phoning in a service problem gives the request a higher priority than going to the Telmex office.) If the issue is the exterior line, they'll address it; if it is an interior issue, they will let you know also.

Then take your current modem to Telmex and they will replace it for you. According to them, you'll need to wait up to 72 hours for the full connection to be made. (It should be a minimal wait, but this is their instruction.) You'll need to reset your network ID and password for the new modem as well as any peripherals (printer, cell phones, ipad); there are clear instructions in the modem box for then personalizing your password.

We had slooooow service for about 6 weeks; replaced the modem, had the tech come out (first time checked outside, "nothing wrong"; second time checked inside phone wiring "nothing wrong", but no change, no answers. Telmex followed up by phone three times and we kept telling them we had no improvement. The rep said he'd elevate our service order. Suddenly, after the third call, all went back to Mexico normal.

If you are getting 3Mbps, there is nothing wrong with your modem. If it has slowed down recently, there are other reasons (maybe the browser, maybe the OS). However, those living in the lower two blocks of Chula Vista get 5 or better, while almost everyone above that line gets 3 or less, and that is due to existing infrastructure. There is a petition circulating in Chula Vista for TelMex to make changes, although in my experience, that's a losing proposition unless CASH is involved.

Archived