Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. or Canadian plated cars and valet parking

Mainecoons

I think I know the answer to this but I want to confirm it.

Isn't it true that if a Mexican valet parker takes your non Mexican plated car and has an accident involving property or personal injury or both, you have a big problem?

You can't claim the car is stolen and if I understand previous discussions on this topic you are the ultimate responsible party and can have your car confiscated and maybe a lot worse?

I see these places that offer valet parking and wonder about this.  What's the latest?

It is the same as a PR or a Mexican national driving a foreign plated vehicle without owner in car. I have at times seen expats allowing gardiners, maids, mechanics driving a foreign plated vehicle with no one else in vehicle and I think... what are you doing. There would be no insurance coverage in event of an accident.

Tratándose de extranjeros

Por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean residentes extranjeros, por un extranjero con condición de estancia de residente temporal, residente temporal estudiante o visitantes, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.

From my web site: 

• Who Can Drive Your Foreign Plated Car in Mexico? Vehicles with Temporary Import Permits can be driven in Mexico by the importer, their spouse, their parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters, children, grandchildren even though they are not foreigners or by a foreigner who is a Tourist or Temporary Resident without the permit holder in the vehicle. Or, by a Mexican National when, whichever of the prior persons authorized to drive are in the vehicle. This means if car permit is in the name of a Temporary Resident, that person's spouse even if a Permanent Resident or a Mexican national can drive the foreign plated vehicle without the person in whose name is the car permit being in the vehicle. It also mean a Mexican national such as a maid, gardener, mechanic, bellhop, etc can not drive your vehicle without the TIP holder in the car. In the case, if caught cars have been confiscated plus fines. 

Is valet parking a big deal around here? I've never had the need or even seen valet parking available around here. I can see the need if a person has mobility issues and is in Mexico with an imported car. It would be wise to make another arrangement. If you are here permanently it seems to be another argument for just having a Mexican plated car. Alan

I have researched and covered this before. The Valet must carry driver license insurance, paid for by the hotel, restaurant or evento. This covers liability only, and the Valet can drive any vehicle in Mexico. It is not his problem whether the vehicle has legal status. If police say they are going to confiscate the vehicle (stolen or wonky plates for example), he would just say, fine, it is not my vehicle, but I am sure the owner will be asking for your name and police number though. If he is driving a multiple passenger vehicle, he is required to have a "Chofer" endorsement on his Mexican driver's license. No big deal at all. Individual auto insurance, which most people carry, is a whole different thing, and a very mixed bag in this country. Auto mechanics should also be using this driver's insurance. I got mine from GNP, and it is about 4,000 pesos per year, but the limit is way more than the legal minimum. If the Valet damages a vehicle or it is stolen, the owner of that vehicle would have to pursue the Valet on a personal basis. The business would then have to pay up, get the vehicle fixed to the owner's satisfaction, fire the Valet, or all the above. Maybe the business carries another insurance in case of this situation, I don't know. You may be able to add on additional drivers to this policy for increased premium - again, don't know, didn't ask

It is not about licenses or insurance. It is about who can legally drive a foreign car without the owner/importer in the car. A Mexican or a Residente Permanente cannot, unless an immediate family member.

Really - the OP wrote exactly that. I doubt very much that local Vial wouldn't even worry or even know about that, getting my Mexican driver's license last week, we were surprised how many Mexicans  40 to 60 years were finally getting new licenses. They had never seen the need before. This was for new license only, no renewals. I asked, once again, what was the fine for carrying an expired license - 200 pesos I was told. Having no license at all is a lot more serious trouble.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:48 PM, Mainecoons said:

Isn't it true that if a Mexican valet parker takes your non Mexican plated car and has an accident involving property or personal injury or both, you have a big problem?

I use valet frequently and reading the fine print they will only pay the lesser of $30,000 pesos or 10% of your deductible.  Still better to have someone liable for something and not have to walk a block or two and risk getting mugged to save 30 pesos.  Foreign plated cars are becoming more problematic and with the great exchange rate actually cost more.

On 12/13/2016 at 4:24 PM, RVGRINGO said:

It is not about licenses or insurance. It is about who can legally drive a foreign car without the owner/importer in the car. A Mexican or a Residente Permanente cannot, unless an immediate family member.

That was the crux of my question.  RV has been out of the country a while, is this still correct?

If so, it would appear to me that expats with U.S. plated cars using valet parking are taking a significant risk.  I'd be willing to bet their insurance policies have specific clauses denying coverage if the car is in an accident while being driven by a valet.

Archived