Chapala.com Webboard

driving to Laredo during December. Best time

pdqpc

Hi, I need to return to the US this month from lakeside. What part of Dec. is the best time to drive? Or should I wait until the first week or so in Jan? Also is there a good time of the day or night to cross in Laredo? Thanks, Wayne

Cross at Columbia Bridge. There are previous threads that one of the bridges in Laredo is closed for the next year or so. No traffic to speak of at Columbia. There are signs on the highway as you approach Nuevo Laredo.

Christmas can be an ugly time to get across the bridge in Laredo into the US. You never really know until you're queued up and at that time it's too late to switch to Columbia.

If you have a cell phone with data you can check the wait time website at https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html?com=1&pas=1&ped=1&plist=2304

If Bridge 2 is backed up over an hour then it would be worthwhile driving 30 minutes out to Columbia and then 30 minutes to get back to Laredo, should that be your final destination.If you're continuing north on I-35 after crossing then the decision becomes a little easier as the toll bypass is available.

Bridge 1 is down so all Nuevo Laredo traffic must cross at Bridge 2.

"Bridge 1 is down so all Nuevo Laredo traffic must cross at Bridge 2".

Thanks everyone for the good information. I think I may be better off waiting until the 5th or so of Jan. to cross. One more question, is bridge #1 the main crossing that goes directly north to San Antonio?
Thanks John, I will check the link you sent

Bridge 1 is the downtown location. Bridge 2 connects directly to IH35 in Laredo.

At noon today the backup on Bridge 2 is over an hour. Columbia has no wait.

I have some friends who left Ajijic this morning at 6:30am hoping to cross this evening. I'm sure they'll report their wait time,

Pharr shows no wait time also however one must be careful with that crossing. If trucks back up both lanes they block the left exit for autos. No one is waiting in line because they can't get to the bridge. The trucks are supposed to stay in the right lane for the commercial crossing but of course they don't.

several years ago i crossed at the colombia bridge northbound. it was december 8, i waited 3:45 hours at COLOMBIA to cross. nice cars from all over mexico were there heading to the outlet malls. what a mess. i guess everyone had their aguinaldo. i never cross at laredo northbound anymore. 

37 minutes ago, pdqpc said:

"Bridge 1 is down so all Nuevo Laredo traffic must cross at Bridge 2".

Thanks everyone for the good information. I think I may be better off waiting until the 5th or so of Jan. to cross. One more question, is bridge #1 the main crossing that goes directly north to San Antonio?
Thanks John, I will check the link you sent

Juárez-Lincoln (Bridge II) cuts onto I35N and is a good option if you plan to overnight in Laredo.

Alternatively, you could use the Colombia Solidarity crossing, which meanders and joins I35N about 20 minutes north of Laredo; from there it's about 2 1/2 hours to San Antonio.

Closest to Houston would be Matamoros but not sure you want that one. Nuevo Progreso is just a bit west of that and normally muy tranquillo. Great place to shop before you cross. Then a straight shot to 77 which becomes 59 a ways up the road.

Archived