Chapala.com Webboard

Auto registration renewal in Lake Chapala area

cookj5

We bought a Mexican (Jalisco) plated car in January of 2016. S&S Auto handled the deal including getting the plates and paying the registration fee before it was delivered to us. Our renewal date is January 19, 2017.

1) Where do we go to do this?

2) What do we need to bring?

3) What kind of fee should we expect?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions.

Renew and pay at the recaudadora in Chapala on Degollado. All you need is your license plate number (unless you've changed address). Early payers receive a discount in Jan/Feb so cherry pick your day and time to go otherwise you'll wait in a long line. Price info available on line, but I'm lazy. Somewhere around $400 or so pesos as I recall.

Refrendo (car registration) in Jalisco is for the calendar year. All personal use automobiles pay the

same rate. Discounts have been reduced for 2017, (as opposed to previous years.)

Costs for 2017 are as follows:
Pay in January, 10% discount: 456 pesos. 
Pay in February or March, 5% discount: 481 pesos. 
Pay in April, no discount: 507 pesos. 

Payment can be made in person, online, or can be done through a 3rd party service. 

S&S can procure the new registration for you, which you can then pick-up, and pay for at their office. 

14 hours ago, Travis said:

Renew and pay at the recaudadora in Chapala on Degollado. All you need is your license plate number (unless you've changed address). Early payers receive a discount in Jan/Feb so cherry pick your day and time to go otherwise you'll wait in a long line. Price info available on line, but I'm lazy. Somewhere around $400 or so pesos as I recall.

Travis,

I'm not familiar with this name ( recadadora ). Could you please provide more specific directions ?

Thanks

Recaudadora (Collector) is the tax collection office of SAT for such things as licenses and vehicle registrations; ie: registry office to us.  It is on the south side of Degollado, almost at the far east end toward Parque Cristiania.

Just jot down your license plate number and have your ID, in case they ask. Have cash and you will get your new tarjeta de circulacion sticker for your car and the wallet card on the spot.   If you renew online, you may/or may not ever receive it, so I strongly suggest that you do it in person. 

4 hours ago, WideSky said:

All vehicle plates expire Dec 31, and line ups can be brutal.

If they expire on the 31'st of December why is there a  discount in January of 15% , in February 10%  and March 5% for a payment.   I too bought my cars at SS.  Each year I have them pick up my plates so as to avoid any line.   They also do my insurance.   No I don't know the cost.

3 hours ago, el bartman said:

If they expire on the 31'st of December why is there a  discount in January of 15% , in February 10%  and March 5% for a payment.   I too bought my cars at SS.  Each year I have them pick up my plates so as to avoid any line.   They also do my insurance.   No I don't know the cost.

Maybe incentive to pay sooner rather than later ....  If you didn't know taxes are also due in January and there is a discount if you pay early also.

Seems as though there is a conflict in terminology here.   Your Registration STICKER expires and you have three months to renew
 as stated above - with discounts until March for payment.

Inspection sticker expiration is based on your license plate number.

License PLATES are another story... I haven't heard anything about replacing them but in 19 years we did ONCE have to get new PLATES. And it was a nightmare as the first sets weren't legible from a distance and the process was halted and eventually started after reprinting all of the previous plates,

When I sold a car two years ago no new plates were required. The lawyer just had the car and PLATES transferred to the new owner.

My office does payments as well just need plate and VIN numbers.  We go often to make payments so you dont have to. 

Archived