Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex

artsnob

Yes many people who received their bills last month had the same charge. And they had almost no problem betting this insurance removed from their bill. I don't know if this is true, but I understand that this is another company owned by Carlos Slim and that he's making  a good rate of return on this new business.

I just received my bill and they got me too. I shall drop by next week to get it removed from my bill.  We have such a great deal down here. I pay $389 per month and can phone the US and Canada (apparently many other countries too) as many times as I want and my internet speed is usually about

5865334844.png

Although I would like it a little faster, I think I am getting a fantastic deal that I almost feel guilty going in and complaining about this added one time charge.

I think it was explained to me a couple of months ago when I went into complain that the charge would be a monthly thing unless you asked to have it removed and not put on your bill again. They did that with no problem. The person I talked to said most folks have had it removed but there are some who don't pay attention or can't read well enough to understand it is a scam and that they can opt out of it. A classless act and they were surprised and ashamed it showed up here locally. Not a good way to win friends...

17 hours ago, barrbower said:

Not a good way to win friends...

LOL. That's a fact. But Carlos does not seem to care about making friends or even getting new customers. His profit margins are so high that he became one of the top 3 richest men in the world off of a 3rd world country and you cannot do that unless you are grossly overcharging (robbing) your customers... and failing to support the infrastructure of the company... which is obvious, given the long waits to obtain phone lines and service...  and when you do get service, not up to the standards of the rest of the world, certainly not as it pertains to internet speed. Slim owns 70 percent of all cell service in Mexico and 80 percent of landlines.

If it does turn out that Carlos Slim has a vested interest in this insurance company and enrolled every telephone customer, it would be an outrageous business move that would certainly be illegal in the USA, but maybe not here. It is not on my bill. I pay $599/mo and get almost 20 MB down and 2.5MB up. The guys at Telcel tell me that I drop to the $399/mo plan and that my speeds won't change, but I am of the old school "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

One of my buddies just moved into San Antonio and get 1.7 MB down and about .5 up. Would he pay $200 pesos more per month to get my speeds? In a heartbeat. Ironic about him (and condemning of Carlos Slim) is that he just moved there from Rocha Azul where he was only getting .2 MB down and 100KB upload. There is no excuse for that slow of an internet connection on DSL in 2016, I don't think there is any excuse for the slow speed in San Antonio Tlyacapan, either!

Here is a Kansas City Speedtest result. You know Kansas City, the end point of the intended Mexico - US customs free highway.

http://trak.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/clip_image0011.png

But at least Carlos can afford to buy part of the NY Times to attempt to influence opinion of himself in the eyes of the NY Times readers.

How NAFTA Helped The Mexican Billionaires' Club

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, Aquaponicsman said:

I pay $599/mo and get almost 20 MB down and 2.5MB up.

Aquaponicsman, is this a speed you actually measured or the speed Telmex said you should be getting? When I was in the Telmex office getting  my service contract last week, I was told the speed with the $599 cost was the same (10mb) as with the lower cost service. 

On 12/10/2016 at 7:38 PM, mudgirl said:

And I read an interview once with Mr. Slim in which the interviewer asked him which charities he supports. None. He said he made his own way and so should everyone else. There are very few billionaires in the world who don't contribute something to charity.

To be fair his new art museum in Mexico city is wonderful. A wonderful designed building by his son in law.  Top floor is filled with Rodan bronzes. You start at the top and work down. Not the most expensive/fancy art but I especially enjoyed the Venice display. Easy to hate Carlos for a variety of reasons but I think he has a great start for a great museum. I like how everything is open. Very nice building.

And its FREE.  

On 12/10/2016 at 7:38 PM, mudgirl said:

And I read an interview once with Mr. Slim in which the interviewer asked him which charities he supports. None. He said he made his own way and so should everyone else. There are very few billionaires in the world who don't contribute something to charity.

Actually, according to various websites, Slim is now the biggest philanthropist in Mexico. I guess he does listen to some things about him.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:59 PM, bdmowers said:

Aquaponicsman, is this a speed you actually measured or the speed Telmex said you should be getting? When I was in the Telmex office getting  my service contract last week, I was told the speed with the $599 cost was the same (10mb) as with the lower cost service. 

They did not tell me what I should be getting. But did tell me that that I should not experience any drop in speed switching from the $599/mo to the $399/mo deal, but I am afraid to chance it. I was having some trouble with my modem quitting sending WiFi frequently and went in and got a new modem. That modem only gave me 10 MB/s down. I  hurried back to TelMex and got my old modem back. I have to reboot it frequently to reset the WiFi, but I can live with that hassle for almost 20MB down. I just tested it a minute ago. Here are the results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5878470319.png

On 12/12/2016 at 0:59 PM, bdmowers said:

Believe nothing you are told at the Ajijic office. Nothing. Ever (except when you pay your bill and they give you a receipt). The staff knows nothing about Internet and cares naught. They will say anything to a gringo to get you out of their hair. I don't know how they treat Mexicans; it may be exactly the same when it comes to Internet. For the truth, call Tech Support in Mexico City at 01-800-123-2222.

When your speed drops after swapping modems, Tech Support (Mexico City) needs to make an adjustment from their end to get it back. NOTE that the double-antenna modem that surfaced in recent months is incapable of getting better than 10. They followed this up with the same looking modem but no antenna, but I don't know if that brand has the same problem of restricted speed.

This thread has wavered somewhat from the original OP post but that seems to have been answered. The local Telmex office will eliminate the insurance if asked.

Persistance with Telmex DF sometimes pays off, although slowly. I have a house in Guayabitos where $389 delivered a blazing 1.5 down and .10 up. A neighbor paying $599 was getting 5mb. On every visit to the house over the period of one year I called Telmex and often spoke to a young man Carlos Rodriguez. He turned out to be a frustrated middle man knowing the problem but not having the tools to affect change. I can't tell you how many calls it took but now I'm getting 10mb over .6 while many of my neighbors still suffer from pathetic speeds.

Going from 1.5 to 5 or 10 is very noticable. From 5 to 10 not so much. Perception of speed is elusive as has been discussed before.

Keep calling the help line and when asking for the English speaking tech hope that Carlos answers the phone.

Carlo Rodriguez has been at that office, offering help in English, for the past seven years. He is my go-to guy when I can get him. He has grown past the frivolities of reading off a check-sheet, and knows well the ins and outs of the system there.

John, I might add that the reason going from 5 to 10 isn't that noticeable is the fault of the browsers we use: heavy on security and advertising, to the point of frustration. Other browsers have sprung up that make an effort to keep the ads off at the source instead of blocking them at your browser. A page on Firefox, IE, or Chrome will only turn so fast even with my 20 down. You would see a marked difference when downloading a sizeable file, when moving from 5 to 10.

Check out this Opera page: http://www.opera.com/computer/features/ad-blocker

Archived