Chapala.com Webboard

Inspirational story of an honest restaurant owner

LadyB

Just thought I'd share this good news story ...This morning the owner of La Bodega restaurant returned to my husband the wallet that he had inadvertently left in the restaurant last night.  The wallet, which contained quite a bit of money, credit card, driver's license, etc. was returned completely intact. The gentlemen would not accept the generous reward offered by my husband, he just said that he appreciated our patronage in his restaurant. Needless to say, we are feeling a great sense of relief and gratitude today, and of course will continue to patronize the La Bodega restaurant which has always provided us with a good meal, pleasant ambiance and entertainment. 

I've always enjoyed Javier's company. When I was selling ads for the Chapala Review magazine, he conducted business the old-fashioned Mexican way: invited me in, sat me down, offered me libation, asked about my life and family. Only then were we free to discuss the affairs of money. He is a dear fellow.

5 hours ago, LadyB said:

Just thought I'd share this good news story ...This morning the owner of La Bodega restaurant returned to my husband the wallet that he had inadvertently left in the restaurant last night.  The wallet, which contained quite a bit of money, credit card, driver's license, etc. was returned completely intact. The gentlemen would not accept the generous reward offered by my husband, he just said that he appreciated our patronage in his restaurant. Needless to say, we are feeling a great sense of relief and gratitude today, and of course will continue to patronize the La Bodega restaurant which has always provided us with a good meal, pleasant ambiance and entertainment. 

Such a wonderful story that further dis-spelles stereotypes about Mexico/Mexicans.

I too have only had good experiences.  Once forgot my 2K plus dollar Nikon camera in a restaurant, only to be pursued by a yelling mesero running after us about a block behind, waving my camera at me!  Another time we bought a lot near Ixtapa and paid cash.  I counted the pile of pesos 3 times before handing it over.  Next day I get a call from the seller telling me I overpaid him by $10,000.00 pesos!  This is the Mexico I respect and fell in love with!

Archived