Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas fruit Cake...LATE...

DeborahM

PM me as I have two 16 oz containers of fruit cake mix that I bought at SuperLake last year but are unopened and have been in the fridge.  I also found a box of SunMaid currents, opened, from SuperLake years ago but they are going in the trash.

14 minutes ago, Ellie said:

PM me as I have two 16 oz containers of fruit cake mix that I bought at SuperLake last year but are unopened and have been in the fridge.  I also found a box of SunMaid currents, opened, from SuperLake years ago but they are going in the trash.

Thanks so much Ellie, but I bake my own from my Mum's recipe. 

56 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Deborah, time consuming to chop but a possible option - use some of the local candied fruit - papaya, mango, pineapple. I thank have seen currants at Superlake but ... good luck.

GREAT idea WideSky! Thanks!! Mum's fruitcake with a Mexican twist...brilliant!!

Wow! You are off to a late start. Chef Georgina (of Colibri Garden and the Tuesday Farmers Market) bakes her fruitcakes in September and then begins the process of pouring liquor over each cake on a regular schedule. Any fruitcake you could bake now would be infinitely inferior! Sad to say, your result would be the stereotypical dry fruitcake (as in jokes) to be used as a doorstop or as the  perfect White Elephant gift!

You can order "Old English Christmas Cakes" (a.k.a. fruitcakes) by calling 376-765-4412 or 333-156-9382. You can e-mail Chefs Georgina and Peter at colibrigarden@yahoo.com. They offer the cakes in two sizes....a rectangular loaf for $220 or a large round for $440. This is the best fruitcake I've ever eaten.....nice and moist.

If you still want to bake, a fun thing to do is to make biscuits for your dog-owning friends. I just made three kinds: peanut butter, bacon bits and cinnamon. The dogs love the biscuits and their owners are grateful. I have bone-shaped cookie cutters but have more fun making "gingerbread" boys and girls.

31 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Wow! You are off to a late start. Chef Georgina (of Colibri Garden and the Tuesday Farmers Market) bakes her fruitcakes in September and then begins the process of pouring liquor over each cake on a regular schedule. Any fruitcake you could bake now would be infinitely inferior! Sad to say, your result would be the stereotypical dry fruitcake (as in jokes) to be used as a doorstop or as the  perfect White Elephant gift!

You can order "Old English Christmas Cakes" (a.k.a. fruitcakes) by calling 376-765-4412 or 333-156-9382. You can e-mail Chefs Georgina and Peter at colibrigarden@yahoo.com. They offer the cakes in two sizes....a rectangular loaf for $220 or a large round for $440. This is the best fruitcake I've ever eaten.....nice and moist.

If you still want to bake, a fun thing to do is to make biscuits for your dog-owning friends. I just made three kinds: peanut butter, bacon bits and cinnamon. The dogs love the biscuits and their owners are grateful. I have bone-shaped cookie cutters but have more fun making "gingerbread" boys and girls.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think. I bake often, and am confident that my fruitcake will not be "infinitely inferior." I've baked them in December often, and my family and friends always enjoy them. 

2 hours ago, DeborahM said:

Thanks so much Ellie, but I bake my own from my Mum's recipe. 

GREAT idea WideSky! Thanks!! Mum's fruitcake with a Mexican twist...brilliant!!

It is not a cake mix. But a mix of chopped fruit and fruit cake mix is what is on the label however I also use an old recipe and also make eggnog bread with candied fruit and instead of purchased eggnog, I use Rompope.

I've also  chopped the Mexican dried fruit but didn't care for the results.

i

i

I was just at Walmart and noticed they had raisins, some dried red fruit (currant, or cranberry?) dried apricots, and plastic tubs of mixed dried fruits out in the centre by the Vegetable section but towards the bakery. Probably would make a good start and not break the bank.

Archived