Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente Application within Mexico

Zeb

I don't want a temporal. I only want permanente status.  I am not concerned with financial requirements as I will qualify. I have been told that can be done and the manual I have with the regulations does indicate this,  so my question is only about location.  Of course, unless the manual I have is completely wrong.

15 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Are you here at lakeside? If yes, why not go right to the source and ask the INM people in Chapala?

Yes. I will do that as well. I just thought someone on the forum would know who may have already done it this way.

7 hours ago, Zeb said:

I don't want a temporal. I only want permanente status.  I am not concerned with financial requirements as I will qualify. I have been told that can be done and the manual I have with the regulations does indicate this,  so my question is only about location.  Of course, unless the manual I have is completely wrong.

Only through the "Vinculo Famliar" law can you apply inside Mexico. Therefore you have to get the 2 year RT first before getting a RP. If you want to go Residente Pemanente now you have to start at a Mexican Consulate and show financial solvency. 

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/foreigners/visa/278-visa-permanent-resident

"Family Unity:

1. Applicants must present the original and a photocopy of the official document proving family ties with the Mexican citizen or foreigner with permanent resident status, as well as proof of Mexican nationality of the person they are related to, or proof of the foreigner’s migratory status as a permanent resident in Mexico, and

2. Original and a photocopy of bank documents (investments and bank accounts) with an average monthly balance of $20,187.00 Mexican pesos or its equivalent of $1,635.00 Canadian dollars during the past six months, or

3. Original and a photocopy of documents proving a monthly income of $6,729.00 Mexican pesos or its equivalent of $545.00 Canadian dollars during the past six months.

Important Note:

Family Unity Applications can only be accepted at a Consular Office if the foreigner with permanent resident status in Mexico or the Mexican citizen accompanies the family member at the time the application is submitted.

This category only applies to foreigners who are the children; parents; children of the spouse or common-law partner; or siblings of a Mexican citizen or foreigner with permanent residence in Mexico.

The foreigner who is the spouse, common-law partner or equivalent figure of the Mexican citizen or foreigner with permanent resident status in Mexico may not in any case be documented with a permanent resident visa."

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

It is my understanding that I can apply for permanent residence within Mexico as my spouse has a Permanente status.  Can someone confirm?  Then assuming the answer is yes, what documents will they want?

Exactly as Alan noted. One year TR; renew for 1 more; then PR with no financials. The answer to your question is "no".

Please read here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html   Obtaining a Visa Through Marriage to a Visa Holder

If a TR, you can go from TR to PR in less than 4 years within Mexico by proving ~$2500 / month of ONLY pension sourced income

The only advantage of being a PR vs a TR is 1 application in Mexico vs 3. Otherwise, there is no real benefit. 

3 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Dd you notice the Mexican Consulate in Montreal Canada wants the same financials under the "Vinculo Familiar" law that match Residente Temporal requirements without applying under the "Vinculo Familiar" law?

But not relevant to my post. As well, most US consulates are now using exact amounts such as $1500 and $2500.

Thanks all those who replied.  I don't always trust what INM tells me as I have already had the experience of getting only partial information and affecting the outcome and so much wasted time (and money which they have no trouble taking).  This is why I post these questions on here as a supplement and do no rely solely on INM. 

Based on what I learned here just now, I won't bother doing this here.  I will just go to a US Consulate while I am there and start the whole mess over again.

4 hours ago, Sonia said:

Exactly as Alan noted. One year TR; renew for 1 more; then PR with no financials. The answer to your question is "no".

Please read here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html   Obtaining a Visa Through Marriage to a Visa Holder

If a TR, you can go from TR to PR in less than 4 years within Mexico by proving ~$2500 / month of ONLY pension sourced income

The only advantage of being a PR vs a TR is 1 application in Mexico vs 3. Otherwise, there is no real benefit. 

Thanks so much Sonia for your good information.  Very nice of you to take the time to respond.

11 hours ago, Sonia said:

For those who are not retired, another benefit of PR is that it carries with it the permission to work.

21 hours ago, mudgirl said:

For those who are not retired, another benefit of PR is that it carries with it the permission to work.

Still need to inform INM and they can be very picky plus register with SAT. A TR can get Permiso Para Trabajar. So if one does not qualify for a PR due to insufficient financials a TR will work fine.

Your passport with approval for visa, proof of address, photos, pesos, etc.; but, not all at once. Just be sure to report to them within 30 days of entering Mexico & they will tell you exactly what is needed & when.
 You will be issued a tramite letter, which you can use to travel within Mexico during the process, which will take several weeks, to a couple of months, before the visa card is finally issued.

If you have a foreign plated car in Mexido, do not forget to formally notify Aduana ASAP whenever you change/renew status, and request extension of the Importada Temporal to match your new INM status.

9 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Your passport with approval for visa, proof of address, photos, pesos, etc.; but, not all at once. Just be sure to report to them within 30 days of entering Mexico & they will tell you exactly what is needed & when.
 You will be issued a tramite letter, which you can use to travel within Mexico during the process, which will take several weeks, to a couple of months, before the visa card is finally issued.

If you have a foreign plated car in Mexido, do not forget to formally notify Aduana ASAP whenever you change/renew status, and request extension of the Importada Temporal to match your new INM status.

They will also want a 30 day FMM card wth the "canje" portion fillled out and the passport stamped in when entering Mexico.

21 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

" If you have a foreign plated car in Mexido, do not forget to formally notify Aduana ASAP whenever you change/renew status, and request extension of the Importada Temporal to match your new INM status."

Zeb says he is going back to the USA to start the Residente Permanente visa application process.   Residente Permanente's are not allowed to have TIP permits, no permisos de importación temporada de vehiculos for foreigners with resididente permanente visas.
;)

Oops!   I had not seen Zeb mention that important point.

Yes, if Zeb is leaving a foreign plated car in Mexico, he must remove it before applying for Residente Permanente. However, he has not said that he has one.

My cautionary comment can, therefore, be taken as generic for anyone changing INM status.  “One“ should be aware of that, shouldn‘t one?

Archived