Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas Bonus (Aguinaldo) - 1st time...

Cincy

Ok for VACATION PAY: I did this calculation ... =(500/7*6*1.25)*(29.5/52)

= 500 pesos (weekly salary which comprises of 250 twice a week) divided by 7 days multiply by 6 (first year) multiply by 1.25 THEN ... I multiplied by 29.5 weeks and divided by 52 weeks since employee only started mid-June.

I get a figure of 304 pesos which ends up to be exactly half of Aguinaldo.

In general, should the vacation pay be about half of Aguinaldo? Also, since the worker hasn't worked a full year, do you pay at year end or at yearly anniversary when employee began work? I've always paid at year end and the first year was prorated. 

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Quince dias is simply the method most employers use to pay their staff, is it not? Basically, twice a month. Back home we call it bimonthly, that's all.

Yes,  that's the exact way for you to short pay your Mexican workers by 7%.

Your way makes sense, because all months have just 30 days,  

It's great that foreigners can ignore paying poor people for the additional days in pesky  January,   March,   May,   July,   August,   October   and December   months that have 31 days.
;)

When you loan someone $150,    should they pay you back  only  $140 ?
;)

I thought the 2.14 was odd as I always thought it was 2.15.  But for the record,  (and from what others are posting, I'm not alone) I calculate the daily rate by 2.15 and then add more, usually quite a bit more.  Nobody is trying to cheat their domestic help. On the contrary, I believe we'd all find out we pay them quite generously at the end of the year.  But we are trying to make sure we do the calculations correctly to ensure we know what the minimum is so we don't short them.  

50 minutes ago, snowyco said:

Yes,  that's the exact way for you to short pay your Mexican workers by 7%. Your way makes sense, because all months have just 30 days,  It's great that foreigners can ignore paying poor people for the additional days in pesky  January,   March,   May,   July,   August,   October   and December   months that have 31 days.;)When you loan someone $150,    should they pay you back  only  $140 ?;)

No need to be cheeky. This is an established, long-time payroll method in this country for almost every corporation. Whether or not you think it is fair has nothing to do with it. Simply stating a fact. Further, are you a current employer dealing with payroll, and thus have better information than the rest of us, so that you can confidently say that this does not take the days into account? What about all those workers who take a salary, which is paid twice monthly... are you suggesting you have knowledge that somehow, all these employers are short-changing their employees?

You are, as always, welcome to try and change Mexico simply by force of will. What I did not state is how I use it "to short pay your Mexican workers by 7%." That's you putting garbage in my mouth. Do you skip through the posts that you don't care to read? You must, because you would have already seen how much I pay for Christmas aguinaldo, which completely contradicts your implications.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:35 AM, Sonia said:

An easy way is 2.14 x weekly pay prorated if employed less that a year. The intent is half a month's pay. I have worked in HR for 15 years for several employers and we always based it on half a month, not two weeks. Not sure why so many have an issue with "quince" which means 15 no matter what some "lawyer" told someone. You may want to seek a new lawyer.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/-employees.html

Fortunately, Rolly Brook, Sonia,  & other professionals have provided accurate methods for calculating both  Aguinaldo  and  Vacation pay, that are both fair & legal.

Archived