Chapala.com Webboard

Cell based internet stick

dboisclair

Hi Everyone

I tried a search but didn't see anything so I'm posting a new question.

We're new to the area and apparently like some of you, we're having a bit of a problem with the internet. The house we're renting uses Telmex with download speeds around 4.5 mbps and upload speeds of less than 1 mbps. This is OK for regular use and our Netflix is streaming fine but I'm still working and I need higher speeds for video conferencing. The property manager however, has advised this is the best available.

We had this problem last year in Colima but I was able to use a cell-based internet hotspot. Does anyone have  experience with this here in Ajijic/Chapala and if so, which carrier are you using and at what speed?   

Thanks very much

Dale in Ajijic

I am no techie but my son recently purchased a product "BAM" from ATT that is a wireless device for internet access.  The device is 1500p and a one year contract for 10 gb per month is 3000p so total cost is 4500p.

Or you can try it for a minimum of 2 months, then the out of pocket cost would be 1500p for the device plus 200p each month so 1900p. The gb at that price is 1.5 gb per month.  

If you are not satisfied, you can terminate at the end of two months.  Pkgs are available up to 16 gb per month at 1000p if 10 gb is not sufficient for you.  I am not aware of the speeds available in your area.

I get speeds of 20 on my TelCel data plan, which I can tether to my PC. BUT the cost of data is overwhelming. Phones generally do email, WhatsApp, FaceBook, like that. But on a computer, you are using much heavier services, which will suck up 1000 MB in a few hours.

I haven't tried the actual sticks in a while. Mine sits forlorn in a drawer, never quite having been properly registered after a month of trying, and then all that activity burned up my plan. However, it would be a darn site cheaper for Internet use than a cell phone data plan.

Best way is to buy a telcel plan (they offer up to 30G a month)  and use your phone as a hotspot. 

Don't get the stick that telcel offers. I bought that and it was crap. 

Also make sure you get full 4g singnal on your phone to be able to use it. If it drops to 3G is pretty slow. 

I had the 30g plan for one year and it was Excellent until a few months ago where they made a few changes to their network. No one was willing to refund me or even explain why their service wasn't working. They just said the 4g doesn't work with a  very non friendly attitude (thanks for telling me smth I already know and not giving the service I'm paying for). 

Now it seems to work better but there's a few hiccups here and there. It's still better than Telmex or telecable. 

Also attached is the speed I get from telcel. 

IMG_7253.PNG

There are areas in West Ajijic where they max delivery is 4.9--5.2mbps and it doesn't matter how much of a plan you pay for. The infrastructure just won't carry it as I have been told after a total of 4 hours on line with Mexico City at 01-800-123-2222. Yes it is shameful.

4 minutes ago, geeser said:

There are areas in West Ajijic where they max delivery is 4.9--5.2mbps and it doesn't matter how much of a plan you pay for. The infrastructure just won't carry it as I have been told after a total of 4 hours on line with Mexico City at 01-800-123-2222. Yes it is shameful.

Same in Chula Vista.  Old wires = slow speed.  This is typical of my service:

My High speed"

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Parts of Chula Vista. The lower area gets 5Mbps at the $399 level from TelMex.

Perhaps, but my part of lower Chula Vista (3 blocks north of the Modelo store) gets the speed I posted above at 399p a month.  I think Telmex says "up to" 5 mbps....

My speed now...

Then I guess it's the lower two blocks. I test regularly for the people I know. But I don't often hear from those above those two blocks.  I did do a job at the corner of DelMonte and Redondo the other day, and it was 3.5 and up. (BTW, your link is cyclical... just comes back to this page.)

So, what does this mean? That at some point, logistically speaking, the wiring connections turn sour. TelMex would have to have linesmen scour the area to find out, because there is obviously a choke point, since there is only one concrete slab that services the area. Getting them to do this, another story, although I haven't heard what the latest is with the petition that's going around.

If he/she needs to do conference calls/broadcast the most important thing is the upload speed. 

Telmex has the worst speed even if you are able to get a higher download plan they don't go high enough on the upload. You can still stream but the lack of speed can cause a few hiccups  

Telecable is much better but it's not constant signal aka it will drop for a few seconds every few hours, maybe once a day or once a week if you are really lucky. Telcel is the fastest option (look up the upload speed I posted, that's way more than you need for video conference) but it will cost you a lot more than the other options. 

Artached are the results of telecable. Look at the difference....

IMG_7254.PNG

Thanks everyone for all the great info. Work is such a PIA sometimes :-)

I'm going to try to reactivate my IUSA Cell "Bam" with ATT with a new sim card and see if they have a package that will work for the four months we're here and give us better speed. Like someone said, it's the upload speed that matters the most.

Thanks again

Dale in Ajijic

I have a USB stick you borrow, to try to see if it meets your needs. If it does you can buy it from me, as I don't use it. I'm pretty sure it is only 3G, though

You will have to go to a Telcel store to find out what the number is for the SIM card and put some money on it. I think you can put on $100 pesos to test it out.

PM me if you are interested.

Archived