Chapala.com Webboard

pole art etc... all around town

solajijic

Who is in charge of this project?  I don't mind the trash barrels becaussse it does make them stand out and be seen so they can be used.  The poles are horrible and a visual blight.  I have a couple neaar me that someone got excited about andpainted the nearby tree trunks too.  Did someone give some money for supplies for this project.  I know that happens I was the conduit for a gift a of monies with no strings to an "artist" on Zaragoza a few years ago for some street art on those houses.  To this day I can't drive down that street.

I want to know so I can prevent the poles in front of my house from being assaulted.

8 hours ago, solajijic said:

Who is in charge of this project?  I don't mind the trash barrels becaussse it does make them stand out and be seen so they can be used.  The poles are horrible and a visual blight.  I have a couple neaar me that someone got excited about andpainted the nearby tree trunks too.  Did someone give some money for supplies for this project.  I know that happens I was the conduit for a gift a of monies with no strings to an "artist" on Zaragoza a few years ago for some street art on those houses.  To this day I can't drive down that street.

I want to know so I can prevent the poles in front of my house from being assaulted.

Read here:

http://grupoaxixicmichicihualli.blogspot.mx/

Those poles look pretty cool to me. The kids must be ecstatic, seeing their work in a "permanent" place. Perhaps a "pro" job would be nicer to look at, but for me there are few things more refreshing than a young'un creating something original.

Thanks Bournemouth for the information.  Not everybody likes everything and generally I haven't too many negatives in my world.  Visual clutter is one thing I do not like.  To each his own I am glad the project seems over and my poles are not at risk.

13 hours ago, solajijic said:

A "horrible, visual blight"?  That's very harsh criticism, considering these are children that are ages 10 or 11.  Ajijic is a village where creativity and artwork can be seen everywhere, and is appreciated by almost everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 7:12 AM, artsnob said:

The art project to paint the planters around town have not finished the job, there are several unpaintedn ones in prime locations, does anyone know if they are going to finish the work or do I have to paint the one outside my gallery

You should know that ASA was connected with that project since you are an ASA member.  Why don't you ask on that organization's Yahoo group site?  

On 12/7/2016 at 7:12 AM, artsnob said:

The art project to paint the planters around town have not finished the job, there are several unpaintedn ones in prime locations, does anyone know if they are going to finish the work or do I have to paint the one outside my gallery

I'd say paint away.  After all, you are an artist.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:37 AM, solajijic said:

If you mean the block of Zaragoza east of Colon, I like the paintings on the houses.  Are you aware of the "facharte" movement headed by Jaime Barbierry to encourage homeowners to paint art on the outside of their houses?  

Yes, that block.  I am aware of Jaime project although I thought it was more geared toward muralistic painting than random shapes and colors.  The individual who paid for that stretch of street expected something different from what the woman "artist" did with the funds.  It was the second time in 8 years he had provided funds to the street for the homeowners to paint and do maintance on the facades of their homes.  The artist did it "her" way as though the street houses were her canvas and not peoples homes.  You know as much as I do that the residents wouldn't dream of saying "nay" to her designs.

I do like the mural idea and have suggested to some ASA members that with their funds they should find a public space or two in each village and provide the equipment, materials and a stipend for a local young artist to paint a mural of signifigance to that area. 

Its beginning to look like grandmas refrigerator  up and down the streets.  I cringed just today when I noticed that the trees along the Carreterra in la Floresta have been painted white.  Only hoping that it isn't in readiness for the kinders to come out and paint.  I also notice that a few home owners have taken upon themselves to subtley paint their poles so that polka dots, tulips and birds cannot be painted on theem.  That is a smart thing to do.

A nice idea can reach a tipping point with "cutesy" items very quickly and then it just looks gaudy and foolishness.  But like you I have an opinion.  And for my street poles and trees I have a can of paint at the ready. 

On 12/7/2016 at 0:37 AM, solajijic said:

Who is in charge of this project?  I don't mind the trash barrels becaussse it does make them stand out and be seen so they can be used.  The poles are horrible and a visual blight.  I have a couple neaar me that someone got excited about andpainted the nearby tree trunks too.  Did someone give some money for supplies for this project.  I know that happens I was the conduit for a gift a of monies ft with no strings to an "artist" on Zaragoza a few years ago for some street art on those houses.  To this day I can't drive down that street.

There is some group called Mano por Mano (not sure if por or de or a) that has been cleaning up some areas, like along the south side of the carretera between Panino and Mariscos el Carnal.  They also cleaned out an empty lot on the corner across from the Jewish synagogue in Riberas (although much of the debris they cleared off the lot still sits in piles on the street.)  Then some group--perhaps the same group?--painted the poles and trees in that area.  The work looks a lot like what I've seen in Ajijic.  I do wonder about the appropriateness of the Santa Claus on the pole by the synagogue  ?.  I have no idea who this Mano-Mano group is and how they decide where to do their work, I just saw their t-shirts when I saw them working.

9 hours ago, solajijic said:

Yes, that block.  I am aware of Jaime project although I thought it was more geared toward muralistic painting than random shapes and colors.  The individual who paid for that stretch of street expected something different from what the woman "artist" did with the funds.  It was the second time in 8 years he had provided funds to the street for the homeowners to paint and do maintance on the facades of their homes.  The artist did it "her" way as though the street houses were her canvas and not peoples homes.  You know as much as I do that the residents wouldn't dream of saying "nay" to her designs.

I do like the mural idea and have suggested to some ASA members that with their funds they should find a public space or two in each village and provide the equipment, materials and a stipend for a local young artist to paint a mural of signifigance to that area. 

Its beginning to look like grandmas refrigerator  up and down the streets.  I cringed just today when I noticed that the trees along the Carreterra in la Floresta have been painted white.  Only hoping that it isn't in readiness for the kinders to come out and paint.  I also notice that a few home owners have taken upon themselves to subtley paint their poles so that polka dots, tulips and birds cannot be painted on theem.  That is a smart thing to do.

A nice idea can reach a tipping point with "cutesy" items very quickly and then it just looks gaudy and foolishness.  But like you I have an opinion.  And for my street poles and trees I have a can of paint at the ready. 

I'm disappointed that you want to stifle young children's creativity.  As I said before, the poles were painted by 10 and 11 year old children.  This isn't the MOMA or the Louvre!  This is a quaint village that is supposed to be art-friendly.

I don't think Solajic wants to "stifle young children's creativity".  The issue is whether this form of creativity is enhancing or detracting from the general appearance of the village. Is it "refrigerator art" like your kids and grandkids give you? There are legitimate differences of opinion on this from well meaning folks who support children being creative.....on paper or canvas, but not on the walls or posts.  We are an art friendly village in Ajijic and for years we have been actively supporting the kids through the LCS Childrens' Art Program.....free to all.  IMHO, some of the posts and planters are charming and are an enhancement.  Some were done by adult artists and are special. Some by talented children.  It would be interesting find out what the population in general thinks about the results.

Yes. What do those kids and their families think, that it is their village and they can include any children who want to join the fun? Don't they know they need to meet certain standards and not offend the artistic sensibilities of the foreigners for whom apparently the village exists? Geez.

42 minutes ago, Xena said:

Yes. What do those kids and their families think, that it is their village and they can include any children who want to join the fun? Don't they know they need to meet certain standards and not offend the artistic sensibilities of the foreigners for whom apparently the village exists? Geez.

I don't think anyone asked anybody before the deed was done, either of long time residents or of foreigners. 

3 hours ago, Xena said:

:D  I love your wit, Xena!  I wish I'd thought of that kind of response....lol!

On 12/7/2016 at 9:44 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Those poles look pretty cool to me. The kids must be ecstatic, seeing their work in a "permanent" place. Perhaps a "pro" job would be nicer to look at, but for me there are few things more refreshing than a young'un creating something original.

Yeah, I think they are pretty cool too.  They make me smile and I'm very happy to see the young people engaged in portraying happy things instead of that ugly, angry graffiti we go around town painting out.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ajijic Michicihualli pole painting project coordinated the work of a couple of hundred Ajijic school children who received beginning lessons in color and paint.  They, many for the first time, were invited to particiipate in a public creative project in their village and they were so excited to do it!.  This gave them and their parents great joy!  I know because I was peripherally involved in this project.  They painted the poles of their village with paint and brushes donated by PRISA paint company in Ajijic.  It was a first lesson in civic participation for most of them and it was FUN!

This was, by means of clarification, a separate project from the ASA planter painting project.

Ajijic Michicihualli is also the group that is providing much needed food for 200 famliies in Ajijic and surrounding communities through dispensas twice a month.

I am happy to know so many people are enjoying the fruits of this project!  Thank you for your comments!

Archived