Chapala.com Webboard

Computer Problem

Alfa

When I open a web site, it often freezes and I have to close and reopen at which time it (might) run properly. This has been happening quite frequently for the past week or so. Is this a web problem or something wrong with my PC? I have run scans and there does not appear to be a virus or other detectable problem.  Any suggestions,please?

The first thing is to try a different browser. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari, and see what happens. Quite often, a browser's add-on is at fault. FireFox is also well known for getting gummed up in this way, but not for everyone.

My guess, based on same experiences, is that this is an internet problem. They are overloading servers, trying to keep everybody "interested", and paying, rather than a complete shutdown - and customers not paying. Try to time your internet access when there are less likely to be compukids and streamers online.

If you still suspect your browser, try Pale Moon, a stripped down version of Firefox, built for speed and stability. Works on Windows or Linux.

https://www.palemoon.org/

IE can do some things that Chrome can't. I once looked at a classified ad that I had posted in a newspaper NOB and the images would not load in Google Chrome, but were visible in IE. This sort of thing has happened quite often, actually.

Are most websites specifically designed for Internet Explorer?

No, in fact, IE has been historically way behind the times in terms of compatibility with the most current Web languages. While I personally don't like Chrome's concept of hiding user controls, it is generally faster than most browsers. If there are problems such as you mention, the cure is almost always based on bad plugins, out-of-date Java or Flash, and so on.

Edge is Microsoft's replacement for IE, and it has taken the concept of hiding user controls to the max, and pretty much ruined the browsing experience for most people due to its many bugs and incompatibilities.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, in fact, IE has been historically way behind the times in terms of compatibility with the most current Web languages. While I personally don't like Chrome's concept of hiding user controls, it is generally faster than most browsers. If there are problems such as you mention, the cure is almost always based on bad plugins, out-of-date Java or Flash, and so on.

Edge is Microsoft's replacement for IE, and it has taken the concept of hiding user controls to the max, and pretty much ruined the browsing experience for most people due to its many bugs and incompatibilities.

Do we need to ensure Chrome is updated on a regular basis to optimize performance?

Usually recommended, although some updates can screw things up. I like to wait until I hear reports of how the latest updates are working. Generally speaking, any program that is working well should avoid updates, because--realistically--what are you getting except potential problems? For example, if your printer is working fine, why update... unless a promo tells you that it will now print real money... . Same with Word.

• 5 months later...

Weighing IE and Chrome based on this page so far, IE is sounding better. Chrome might be faster but has to be continually updated, etc. Anyone else getting that feeling?  I was considering going to Chrome but feel hesitant now.

Chrome is faster to an extent, but the loss of visual aids (icons, toolbars, etc.) make it an unworthy choice for the average user. And, after you hit 10 Mbps download speed, you probably won't see any speed difference among the major browsers... they actually create their own physical limits to speed.

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Chrome is faster to an extent, but the loss of visual aids (icons, toolbars, etc.) make it an unworthy choice for the average user. And, after you hit 10 Mbps download speed, you probably won't see any speed difference among the major browsers... they actually create their own physical limits to speed.

Thanks, CG.  Good point about the speed.  In Chapala, I`m getting a regular 10-11 Mbps so moving to Chrome diminishes in desirability.

Archived