Chapala.com Webboard

Why did Ajijic become so pupular?

Crazydog

3 hours ago, cedros said:

Jocotepec is the real jewel of the lake. Nicest setting and layout of any of the towns. Much nicer malecon and plaza and streets that aren't near as congested.

That is an extranjero opinion, not the Mexican Opinion, which is the only one that counts with most of the people living and coming to this area. As I stated, the extranjero population is insignificant here except for the few jobs they provide. The song is about Chapala, not Ajijic, nor Joco.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has always been a confusion, realtor induced imo, of what area compromises Las Salvias.   Those with more than 20 or 25 years will confirm that Las Salvias is the area north of Angel Flores and bordered on the east by Tempisque and on the west by the arroyo.   So anything east of Tempisque is not Las Salvias no matter what anyone may say or think it is.

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

That is an extranjero opinion, not the Mexican Opinion, which is the only one that counts with most of the people living and coming to this area. As I stated, the extranjero population is insignificant here except for the few jobs they provide. The song is about Chapala, not Ajijic, nor Joco.

That is out of date now. Those hundreds of new homes (1,000?) that were built near El Chante and bought by Tapatios has many more Mexican weekenders going to the Jocotepec area.

"A" list parties, life mates for Mexicans..really..

We all live in Lake Chapala area...all very close.  seriously get over yourselves. 

By the way the weather used to be wonderful here, rained only at night, only in rainy season, and was not cold...what now..? coats heaters, and hats..tons of traffic, and too many inflated egos!  MOG

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

One really good data point as to how the Tapatios have returned to the entire lakeside is the total rejuvenation of that restaurant strip just east of San Juan Cosala.  That place is packed on the weekends and it ain't us expats.  

It's no wonder that people living in Guadalajara would want to sit by the lake and enjoy the ambiance along with a meal.  I wish we had more restaurants right on the lake.  It was a real pleasure when Roberto's, and then Yves, were at least viewing distance from the lake.

18 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

One really good data point as to how the Tapatios have returned to the entire lakeside is the total rejuvenation of that restaurant strip just east of San Juan Cosala.  That place is packed on the weekends and it ain't us expats.  

Again, how to you know they are from Guadalajara? A family meal at the Lakeside is a traditional thing, more popular with the conservative country people than the big city sophisticats. Lots of new developments, for every price point, near "mini" Lake Chapala, Cajititlan. Much easier access from Guadalajara, on good roads, and the local government has invested a lot into promoting tourism there. All Spanish however.

Many more things to see there, but according to this article - not too many restaurants.

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/3882-mexican-artisans-of-lake-cajititlan

edit: Expensive cars/trucks as a unique signature of a Guadalajaran, good grief:blink:!

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:05 AM, cedros said:

Jocotepec is the real jewel of the lake. Nicest setting and layout of any of the towns. Much nicer malecon and plaza and streets that aren't near as congested.

Agreed, nice quiet clean traditional town. Seems more prosperous than the other lakeside towns, even than Chapala.  Can still buy huaraches there made by the store owner.  The plaza is so wonderful we used to drive there from Ajijic just to sit in it.  The malecon is quite wonderful.  

Jocotepec is a different kind of town, very prosperous indeed, with a different ambient .

Chapala has advantages and disadvantages, in order to live comfortably you must become used to a few things or ignore them completely, Chapala it is not oriented towards foreign residents living all year long, like Ajijic where everyone speaks English, sometimes you must put up with certain noisy mexican neighbors and must speak a little bit of Spanish to survive.

But once you get the hang of it, Chapala is very nice place to live in.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:30 PM, Mainecoons said:

Four or five days per week would be heaven.  Try an erratic two these days.

I get a chuckle out of about how half the Chapala residents here like to gloat about getting the lions share of services and repairs that others pay for while the rest try and deny the obvious.

:)

Maincoons, we live in Ajijic although on the other side from you.  I am always amazed to have six reliable pick ups each week.  The men working on the truck are efficient and hard working and I am thankful for their service.

On 2016-12-07 at 6:14 PM, Mainecoons said:

I think the lake restaurants don't attract expats because:

1. They pester you from the public road to go into their restaurant, getting as close as they can to your car and whistling in your face while wiggling a dirty cloth also in your face.  

2. They play Deafening music that sound more like torture noise. I'm all about fun and partying but that was beyond what even someone my age(in my 30s) can tolerate. 

3. They have no internet presence. Don't recall seeing them on trip advisor or seeing their websites.

Well we sure don't attribute the problem to our solid waste workers and sure remembered them for Christmas.  They are a great bunch of guys saddled with lousy "managers."

We've never had more than 3 day per week service in east Ajijic.  That was fine and sufficient as we've done our best to cut down on the amount of waste.  Lately the service has become more reliable.

We've had pretty good luck with the restaurant on the west end of the San Juan restaurant strip.  Agree about the rest.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, CHILLIN said:

How to you know they are from Guadalajara?

Well, when one sees who is getting out of the cars, one sees Mexicans.  And we know that local Mexicans don`t drive SUVs and go to fancy restaurants. Ergo, sunt Guadalajarans. 

On 12/3/2016 at 7:00 PM, solajijic said:

When we came in 2004 the only light was at Colon and the Carreterra.  I think that lasted until 2007 or so when the others began to show up.  It took another year for those to be reliably functional.  The good old days.

Reliability functional?  I think the eternal Mexican question is "Is black red or is black green?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived