Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel rip off

cedros

I have two cell phones that use Telcel. The Nokia phone I keep in my car for emergencies. The Microsoft phone I use for local calls and texting. Both cost 100 pesos for 2 months=1.66 pesos /day. I lent the Microsoft one to a friend. Movistar phoned him and convinced to switch to them. Movistar didn't work very well so I switched it back to Telcel but they no longer have the 100/2 months. The cheapest package they have now is 10 pesos every week~1.42pesos per day. A pain to remember to pay every week. The other 8 packages that Telcel has are very expensive. Up to 10 pesos/day. I don't use the phones for long distance calls. One phone cost a way more to use than the other. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

16 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

I'm still able to  put 100 pesos on my Telcel phone at Oxxo or wherever and it lasts 60 days.

I do the same on my Nokia phone but that is no longer available for new contracts so I can't do it on my Microsoft phone even though I've had it for a year.

http://www.telcel.com/content/telcel/promociones/amigo/recarga-10.html

The Sin Limite, US, Mexco and Canada plan has short authorization periods, the link below. The one I use I go to OXXO and add $50.00 pesos per month and they gave me 30 days on Tuesday. It is on the link above.

http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/tarifas-y-opciones#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

42 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

http://www.telcel.com/content/telcel/promociones/amigo/recarga-10.html

The Sin Limite, US, Mexco and Canada plan has short authorization periods, the link below. The one I use I go to OXXO and add $50.00 pesos per month and they gave me 30 days on Tuesday. It is on the link above.

http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/tarifas-y-opciones#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

Isn't that odd. At the Telcel store they said they just had the bottom one. The Oxxo one is much cheaper which is what I wanted. I'll go back to Telcel and show them the upper one. It still lists 60 days for 100 pesos.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Just go to OXXO, Telcel may be telling their employees to "shade" things a bit. I just topped up with 100 for 60.

.Here we're getting 'sin limite' for $100p for 23 days... I'd say you're getting a good deal. L

I recently bought a new phone.  Telcel automatically puts you on the sin limite plan.  When your current time expires and before you put more money in, call telcel and tell them you don't want to be in any package.  Tell them you want to recharge 100 pesos for 60 days.  They will drop the package from your line.  But you must do it before you put more money in.  I think you can also go to the telcel store at Centro Laguna and ask them to change it for you.  OXXO will not be able to do it for you.

I think that it depends on what you want from your phone plan.  If you simply want to make phone calls and pay per call, the 100p per month is for you.  If you want emails, surfing online and to be able to call toll free to anywhere in Mexico, the U.S.A. and Canada, then the "sin limites" plan is the one you want.

It's difficult to compare apples to oranges....

The 100 pesos for 60 days gives me calls to anywhere, email, texts and Internet. They deduct something for each service and I have no idea how much. With so much public wifi here in PV I never need to top up early.

I got it switched back to 100 pesos for 2 months. I thought Telcel would try and stop me but they didn't try very hard.. 

11 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

The 100 pesos for 60 days gives me calls to anywhere, email, texts and Internet. They deduct something for each service and I have no idea how much. With so much public wifi here in PV I never need to top up early.

So how many minutes of calling to anywhere do you get for the 100 pesos for 60 days? And what do you mean by "they deduct something"? I am on the sin limites which I thought was good- 23 days for 100 pesos and I can call Canada or US or anywhere in Mexico and talk for hours. You saying you can do the same for 100 p. for 2 months? I don't use my phone for internet, or email, just calls and texts.

Rather than being a "ripoff", I think much of the confusion is in the language of the Telcel offerings. Recently I took a friend to help her find out why she now is receiving 23 days of use instead of her previous 30 (and yes, the number of days did decrease on some choices.) Telcel has plans AND packages (these are different animals at Telmex) that you pay for as invoiced; it also offers an Amigo plan that has x airtime minutes  for a prepaid fee. By adding an Amigo $ amount  to your phone number (either through a recharge or by scratch-off code) you get 60 days of usage for the $ amount you pay for, plus bonus airtime (which increases depending on the $ amount you apply.) The invoiced packages give you x days of usage and you must pay your bill before the due date. You can (and friend did) set up your package to be paid through a bank draft or credit card every x days. Google Telcel planes y paquetes or Telcel plan Amigo and the links will give you a large variety of options. The sucursal at Centro Laguna has several English-speaking reps who will assist you; "Ana" has been particularly helpful for expat friends with limited Spanish, so you might ask for her.

Because I use my Mexican cell irregularly, I use the Amigo plan and purchase a few $100 cards, each of which is good for 60 days and I apply one at a time to re-up a day before my expiration, giving me adequate usage (albeit not the cheapest rate available) for the money. Any remaining funds on the card roll over to the next period.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

So how many minutes of calling to anywhere do you get for the 100 pesos for 60 days? And what do you mean by "they deduct something"? I am on the sin limites which I thought was good- 23 days for 100 pesos and I can call Canada or US or anywhere in Mexico and talk for hours. You saying you can do the same for 100 p. for 2 months? I don't use my phone for internet, or email, just calls and texts.

I make a call, say to my sister in the US and afterwards I check my balance and it is a few pesos less. How much per minute I have no idea. I don't care as 100 pesos for 60 days of service is so insignificant it's not worth checking out.

I called it a rip-off because when I went to Telcell twice in Laguna mall they insisted that there were no other plans/packages than the sin limite. They gave me a handout showing this. The lower half of the handout had been ripped off. I suspect the lower half showed the other options like 100 pesos for 60 days which is what I wanted. Thanks to AlanMexicali for posting that link. I printed out the other options shown on it. At Telcell they puzzled over these other options for a bit and then gave one to me. 

Cedros, that's my point: you wanted--and they gave you—a package, not a plan, and the two animals are very different.

The terminology is confusing: a plan recurs from month to month by pre-authorizing your payment to them via cc or bank debit to continue for a period of time for the period you sign for.

However, you and I don't have a package: we have a plan, whereby we  buy x amount and pay for the specified $amount only; at the end of the usage period for that $amount, there is no renewal unless you make another purchase and apply it to your phone by recarga or by purchasing another card.

Here is a link to several Telcel Amigo packages (NOT plans):  http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/tarifas-y-opciones#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

And here's a link to Telcel plans (NOT packages): http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones

Hope this helps clarify what you received--and seem to have wanted.

I have the same package as Mudgirl. The every 23 day unlimited. I just got it. I am having alot of problems with the phone so took it back to where I purchased in Chapala and they said it need the "lines to be cleaned, it wasn't the phone but the network". so reading this thread is giving me a heads up, because I have to navigate that store at Laguna mall. Does anyone known if it is open Sundays?

• 4 weeks later...

Well,. well...finally some explanation for the whole cell phone plans vs packages...

I have the pkg. which mysteriously needed 20p top up...at a kiosk on the carreterra...in order to carry on...tho I hardly had used any of the features...certainly not many phone calls anywhere!!  But I do take and send pictures....using data...which is unlimited.

NOW I have until Feb. 14 for 20p..PLUS still have til Jan. 8 on the pkg.  I really do not understand it at all!

But will see Ana at Laguna Telcel and see if I can get this annoying scenario fixed and get  the pkg OFF my line...I have never felt so confused...plus the language issue has not helped me either.

Hopefully I can resolve this and understand what plans/pkgs?? I have...with free LD on the landline...I don't need to call from my cell..and some plans on the receivers end will be charged if I call....so I won't inflict that on them.

Archived