Chapala.com Webboard

Gaucheria Restaurant

Wookie

We were at Gaucheria's again today .... this restaurant is on the Carretera across the street from Panino's.  The food, again, was excellent as was the service.  The steak (tenderloin) was again excellent, tender and tasty.  We also had the sirloin burger without the bread and it was also excellent.  It was like fresh ground and also tender and tasty.  

We two had lunch there today:  One chicken sandwich and 1/2 barbequed chicken, with homecut regular and sweet potato fries. Little side salad. Chimichurri and other additions on the table. Preliminary basket with slices of garlic bread and chips.

I'll sum up my experience with:  the very best chicken sandwich locally, no contest.  1/2 was plenty, so I shared the other half with spouse and we took most of his excellent chicken home for paninis later.  His half chicken was a very large one.  Bring a hearty appetite.

This is a keeper.  Go!  Lunch from noon to ??

Located on the lake side, on the corner just west of Panino's. 

• 1 month later...

Gringal has been very quiet about this place in our discussions, managing to bring it up only once per conversation. EVERY conversation, so I finally bit the bullet, so to speak, and went today.

Oh.Em.Gee. I can see why she raves about the chicken sandwich. It is deelishus, jam-packed with tender, juicy chunks of chicken and all kinds of toppings, on a very lovely sub-type roll: eating the bread becomes part of the joy of the sandwich, instead of making it too heavy. Service was very pleasant and quick, and after I arrived, three kinds of salsas appeared along with a basket of warm, sliced french bread coated with that yummy oil/pesto salsa, and a bunch of homemade nacho chips. And the price is excellent. In fact, so good, I ordered a Philly-cheese to go. Unfortunately, there were no empanadas to try today... I know, cause I tried to order them, too.

My takeout was double-wrapped to ensure it stayed warm, and they included the side of baked wedgie potatos and sweet potato, just like the pile that came with the chicken sandwich. I could not finish my chicken sandwich, and I am a "hearty" eater, so that came home with me too.

> > > You know, not to be negative about City Sandwich, but those guys had nothing on either this place or Food Lake Container's sandwiches, especially for the price. They had about 1/4 of the ingredients for the same price and even higher. That's why I never went back after my first taste there: really enjoyed the catfish sandwich, but had to lament about the tiny portions.

Archived