Chapala.com Webboard

Is this law firm still active?

Lexy

Does anyone know if Loridans Marquez & Associados Legal Services is still active? I've phoned and emailed. No response to emails and phone is answered by a machine. Machine says to leave a message but then a busy signal makes that impossible.

Lexy

Walkers, thanks for offer to check with Juan Marquez. That is the tel # I was calling. I'd be glad to know what you find out.

Ned Small: I know Henri Loridans is not a Mexican lawyer. He has never claimed to be. Yes, Loridans Marquez & Associados is so a law firm, which offers immigration and legal services. My question was: Is it still in operation, as I haven't been able to reach it by phone.

Seriously, Ned Small,  you pop up all the time on various forums as if you know what you talking about. And you're so often way off base, without a clue. You really should check your facts before posting.

Lexy

1 minute ago, Lexy said:

Walkers, thanks for offer to check with Juan Marquez. That is the tel # I was calling. I'd be glad to know what you find out.

Ned Small: I know Henri Loridans is not a Mexican lawyer. He has never claimed to be. Yes, Loridans Marquez & Associados is so a law firm, which offers immigration and legal services. My question was: Is it still in operation, as I haven't been able to reach it by phone.

Seriously, Ned Small,  you pop up all the time on various forums as if you know what you talking about. And you're so often way off base, without a clue. You really should check your facts before posting.

Lexy

I am not on any other forum other than this and I know more about this "firm" than you will ever know probably. Spencer knows about them too. Have you ever asked anyone associated with them if they have an "abogados profesionales cedula"? That's what Mexican lawyers have but there is nothing to stop anyone from hanging out a shingle saying that they are capable of giving legal advice. There is no bar in Mexico to protect you other than making sure that the abogado that you retain has a cedula. Spencer is a lawyer who has a Mexican law firm with a few other lawyers that have cedulas and other employees who don't, like secretaries and aids. There are other firms like that here too.

20 minutes ago, Lexy said:

Lexy

just sent you a pm with cel #

1 hour ago, ned small said:

I am not on any other forum other than this and I know more about this "firm" than you will ever know probably. Spencer knows about them too. Have you ever asked anyone associated with them if they have an "abogados profesionales cedula"? That's what Mexican lawyers have but there is nothing to stop anyone from hanging out a shingle saying that they are capable of giving legal advice. There is no bar in Mexico to protect you other than making sure that the abogado that you retain has a cedula. Spencer is a lawyer who has a Mexican law firm with a few other lawyers that have cedulas and other employees who don't, like secretaries and aids. There are other firms like that here too.

Ned Small--I was referring to the forums you respond to on this website, Chapala.com. I know all about Spencer. I know all about cedulas. But thanks anyhow to a lengthy non-response to my question.

A "law" firm with no lawyers legally able to practice.  The two partners at least. 

4 hours ago, Intercasa said:

A "law" firm with no lawyers legally able to practice.  The two partners at least. 

Can you be clearer, Spencer? Are you saying neither Loridans nor Marquez are legal to practice law in Mexico? As I understand it, Loridans doesn't claim to have a license to practice law in Mexico. Are you saying partner Marquez is not legal to practice law either, but he does? I know nothing about Marquez. The ad in LCS directory says they offer Immigration & Legal Services. Help with immigration documents doesn't require a lawyer's license, of course, as most of us know who have used "facilitators" over the years. But "legal services" does require a licensed to practice law. However you're suggesting the two partners do not have licenses to practice legally?

What a very odd comment for you to post,  as a practitioner of the law.

Thanks, Walkers, for your help.

I don't think I need any more "answers" to my question.

Lexy

4 hours ago, Lexy said:

Can you be clearer, Spencer? Are you saying neither Loridans nor Marquez are legal to practice law in Mexico? As I understand it, Loridans doesn't claim to have a license to practice law in Mexico. Are you saying partner Marquez is not legal to practice law either, but he does? I know nothing about Marquez. The ad in LCS directory says they offer Immigration & Legal Services. Help with immigration documents doesn't require a lawyer's license, of course, as most of us know who have used "facilitators" over the years. But "legal services" does require a licensed to practice law. However you're suggesting the two partners do not have licenses to practice legally?

What a very odd comment for you to post,  as a practitioner of the law.

Thanks, Walkers, for your help.

I don't think I need any more "answers" to my question.

Lexy

Spencer was quite clear as was I.There are several people around here with business cards offering legal services  that aren't lawyers. Juan Marquez does a decent job facilitating immigration which he has done for at least a decade.

11 hours ago, ned small said:

Spencer was quite clear as was I.There are several people around here with business cards offering legal services  that aren't lawyers. Juan Marquez does a decent job facilitating immigration which he has done for at least a decade.

We have been very happy with Loridan and Marquez and have used them for more than a dozen years. Immigration, civil and criminal cases, all have been handled professionally. They have a great network of specialized lawyers in Guadalajara and locally, as well as notarios,that can take care of any case quickly and effeciently and at a decent price. Unlike some lawyers, they are always looking out for their clients and we will continue to trust their counsel. An interesting question, is your statement about them a form of slander? Will it affect their business? We hope not...

31 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

We have been very happy with Loridan and Marquez and have used them for more than a dozen years. Immigration, civil and criminal cases, all have been handled professionally. They have a great network of specialized lawyers in Guadalajara and locally, as well as notarios,that can take care of any case quickly and effeciently and at a decent price. Unlike some lawyers, they are always looking out for their clients and we will continue to trust their counsel. An interesting question, is your statement about them a form of slander? Will it affect their business? We hope not...

In answer to your question,slander is the spoken word and there is nothing "libelous" about what i wrote about "several people around here with business cards offering legal services that aren't lawyers. That's a pretty generic statement in any language. By the way Notarios are a level much higher than a "regular" lawyer/abogado.

The only thing I wrote about "them", as you quoted me, was: Juan Marquez does a decent job facilitating  immigration which he has done for at least a decade" That would be a compliment in any language,would it not?

How we got here from a simple request for contact information mystifies me but this is turning into a debate.  It wouldn't be necessary to be constantly locking threads like this if we'd simply answer the original request if we have the information, otherwise not comment at all.

Closed.

At the request of the OP, she provided and I am adding the following clarifying information to this thread, which will remained closed due to going totally off track.

Based on the positive comments of Cafemediterraneo, I decided to meet with Juan Marquez. He confirmed that he is not a licensed lawyer as yet, but studying law. He works with partners who are licensed to practice law if the case requires one. His work processing immigration papers doesn’t require a law degree. My case questions my rental lease. He took my leases in Spanish and English and said he would check out the law and get back to me in a few days. Instead, he called me that evening with answers and options based on his research. He said if I wanted to go forward, a Guadalajara licensed lawyer who works with the firm would consult with me. Some of what Marquez  told me was the same as my long-time lawyer had given me, only with more detail and what other avenues were open to me, should I pursue the case.

Archived