Chapala.com Webboard

recommendations for Xmas and New Year's Eve

Hello

I already posted this request in the other restaurant review forum before I saw this one.  Any recommendations for nice higher end restaurants for Xmas dinner and New Year's Eve (good food, good wine list, get dressed up, even better if there is music). I have visitors coming and have been bragging about Ajijic's choices of good restaurants - also would really like to avoid cooking :) 

Took home Thanksgiving dinner from Manix since hubby was to stay off feet.  I noticed when stopping for our delicious food that the crowd was better dressed then usual even for holidays.  I would say at least 50% of the men were wearing jackets.  It would be my choice for what you describe.

Nueva Posada usually has a fine Christmas dinner and the setting is lovely.   I don't think there is music. 

Cocinart has had a buffet for Thanksgiving and may, for Christmas. Delicious food, beautifully prepared. However, it is a small place and more informal.

Let's hope everyone who dines out on Christmas can resist the urge to do so in shorts and tee shirts. :lol:

Thanks folks - appreciate your advise!  Manix sounds ideal. 

Hi Mainecoons - Not sure I followed the Xmas vs Christmas thing - can you expand pls? I certainly don't want to offend anyone - I just thought it was shorthand?

"Xmas" is not a commercialization or deprecation of the word Christmas. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

"Xmas" is not a commercialization or deprecation of the word Christmas. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years.

And how often do you see it used in Mexico?

Ask yourself when and why it was resurrected some years back in the U.S., by whom and for what purpose?

The correct term for Christmas in Mexico is "Navidad."

Feliz Navidad!

Archived