Chapala.com Webboard

Review(s) of Jimmy D's Rainbow Cafe

kb9gzg

As I earlier wrote, we have not been joined at breakfast by even one dog, and now I can report that the one smoker's smoke wafted up the mountain, away from the nonsmokers' tables; nevertheless, you get the last word, gringal. I give up. The thread is yours. I'm out of here, and am not so neurotic as to have to read any further responses.

My expectations were raised when you used terms like "a thoroughly enjoyable culinary experience". A "Breakfast Chef", "Soft opening", "resumes of the restaurant owners" "we have yet to find an experience comparatively equal (except in Winconsin)". Then when I got to the menu, there is nothing there that half the COOKS in this area couldn't put together in a heartbeat, heck, even I could put together. It would be really hard to screw up this menu. Certainly not enough interest to drag me out of my warm bed on these cool mornings. The double tequila would wake me up, and warm me up - but not at 130 pesos.

I do get it though - they seem like a very nice couple, who care about getting the best, freshest ingredients, and to ensure the foods cooked in a competent way. I wish them well. They should look at serving crepes. They are remarkably easy for a restaurant, because you can cook a weeks worth at a time, and then freeze them until they are needed, without any real loss of quality. Just figure out a way that they don't stick together as a solid mass when frozen.  Feel better now - I hope so.

I count six posts from one participant, complaining about everyone's else's posts. Including use of the invective "get over it."

"Get over it" is a snide phrase expressly intended to make oneself sound superior to the others involved, and ignore their opinions and feelings at the same time. All it really accomplishes is distrust in the originator's ability to articulate a logical argument.

1 hour ago, Justathought said:

I believe kb9gzg did articulate the point. except the ' get over it ' comment maybe. I don't take it personally. 

Prehaps  this thread needs to be closed because it has gone way off course. 

In the mean time I am going to go to Jimmy D's to see what all the hype is about .  

I don't take much of anything too seriously, and "get over it" is a sorry attempt at a put down, always. 

The thread hasn't really gone off course, but the poster failed to consider the lack of logic in his argument, which is that the patrons should only consider the food offered and pay no attention to the smoke, etc. That's simply not reasonable for those who object to smoke.

By all means, try Jimmy D's.  Then give us a review.

OK from here on out, only reviews from folks who have actually patronized this restaurant.  We now know they allow dogs and outdoor smoking.  No need to belabor the point.  They aren't the only ones in town by a long shot.  Smoking at outdoor tables is permitted by the restaurant law.  Dogs are not but few pay any attention to that including the government.  We just have to live with that one.

Tell us about the food.  Thanks.

On the previous thread about this place there was much ado about the fact that this restaurant was going to allow dogs. And then they opened and they did. More ado. Then Kb9gzg said reasonably that he'd start a new thread that he hoped would concentrate on the food. I said in response to that happy thought that it would be unlikely that a report on any new restaurant wouldn't have people bring up the doggies again. Then someone--she knows who she is--thought it was a threat by me to ruin a new thread. No threat was intended. But see? I haven't said a word and here's the new thread and Fido's name is being dropped. Again. That person--and she knows who she is--suggested to the moderator that my "threat" was so offensive that he should close the thread. And he did. But it was indeed getting tedious anyway. Ah, but here we are again, with the addition of remarks that the place allows smokers. And smokers are having their negative say, as they should.

The place allows smoking and dogs in the dining room. Both against the law. So be it. Go if you want--food and service sound good--or don't go and avoid the illegal smoking and illegal canines. On principle.

Actually I have no dog or cigarette in this fight. Peace....as we used to say in the 60s. Or was it the 70s?

Lexy

Mod 2--Please let my post stand, it's only fair to me. And I did mention that the food and service was reportedly good.

I have been there many times, and they food is worth many visits,, I especially like their house omelet, and their corned beef smash,

The staff and owners are all very friendly to everyone, especially dogs, also pleasant décor , away from street noise

, the place is small and if you do not like dogs and smokers do not go, as then there will be more space for Me and Chicka

Archived