Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
kb9gzg

Review(s) of Jimmy D's Rainbow Cafe

Recommended Posts

(New thread because I don't want to mix or not mix Fido into my breakfast.)

Jimmy D's Rainbow Cafe for breakfast!

On Colon, west Plaza, in rear of the Plaza Suites

8:00 AM - 2:00 PM Closed Wednesdays

My wife and I agree that this morning's breakfast, hosted by James and Donald, prepared by their chef and his assistant (sorry, guys, for not remembering your names), and served by Mario, was the best that we've had since chowing down at officialdom's-designated "Best Diner in Wisconsin," Frank's, in Kenosha (look it up, or even better, fly into Milwaukee, drive south for 35 minutes, and try it first hand: have their garbage plate!). Reminding us of the Early Bird Cafe, but with--is it fair to say, Rick?--a classy step up, James and Don have brought to Ajijic a thoroughly enjoyable culinary experience.

My recollection is a bit foggy at the time of this writing; but, it seems to me that Rick's breakfast menu was fully represented in this cafe's particular incarnation. You've read Rick's announcement of the imminent arrival, résumés of the restauranteurs, and the later reports on this forum of Jimmy D's soft opening, so I'll not repeat any of the previous information. Instead, I'll just say that, from the freshly squeezed orange juice, great coffee, Rick's classic corned beef (hunks, not slices) hash with a couple of perfectly prepared fried eggs (I can't tolerate runny whites, but have to have slightly runny yokes!), mi cara sposa's bacon and eggs (wowed her), and the locally-baked-to-order thick-sliced whole wheat and white bread for toast, to the strawberry preserves made by the chef, and tiny sliced banana with a strawberry as garnish, the food was top-notch. Mario, our server, was right there when we needed him, but did not hover.

The setting--beside the pool--was delightful, and noticeably free from flying critters. As we were the only diners at the time, we were not affected by any second-hand smoke (there are designated tables), and there were no visiting canines.

We are truly fortunate to be able to eat almost all of our meals in the area's restaurants, so we're also able to fairly report that the quality, quantity, and value of our breakfasts were exceptionally high, and we have yet to find an experience comparatively equal. You really should not postpone visiting Jimmy D's, and when you get there, be sure to tell 'em that Lee and Sue sent ya!

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update--Jimmy D's is closed on Wednesdays, as now corrected on original post.

Returned, this morning, and the gang replicated my wife's and my experience of two days ago. Delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Closed Tuesdays, Open Wednesdays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that their sign says that they're open Thursday through Tuesday, but we ate there on this Wednesday. REGARDLESS, the flyer that Don gave to us--and the other folks in and near Bancomer--this morning (Friday, 25th) says, "Cerrado los Miércoles," and the last I knew, that means closed on Wednesdays, right?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up. I am super allergic to cigarette smoke and with wind currents, designated tables don't do it for me. Sounds pleasant otherwise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They must have changed the closed day in the past few days. Was Tues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Thanks for the heads up. I am super allergic to cigarette smoke and with wind currents, designated tables don't do it for me. Sounds pleasant otherwise.

"designated tables"?  It is in the nature of smoke to move.  Deal breaker, no matter what else is right.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are ready to award this new breakfast joint some Michelin stars. A "soft opening" -really !?!?

I too am now allergic to smokes, just getting over a week long sinus infection, had no choice to avoid sitting next to a chain smoker, all day long, and this was distant second hand smoke. Tequila for breakfast, you don't see that too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think allowing both smoking and dogs is a risky choice. I am not allergic to cigarette smoke but do hate the smell of it. It is very unpleasant and no more so than when I am trying to enjoy a delicious meal (which includes its aromas). I would eat at a restaurant that allows dogs but unless the smoker tables are across the street or they have found a way to prevent smoke from drifting, I would not choose to eat at a restaurant that allows smoking -- even outdoors at "designated" tables.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dogs and smoke.  Nice looking menu but nope.

Why would anyone open a restaurant in this brutally competitive market and then handicap themselves like this?  I really don't get it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Dogs and smoke.  Nice looking menu but nope.

Why would anyone open a restaurant in this brutally competitive market and then handicap themselves like this?  I really don't get it.

Exactly!  I totally agree!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Dogs and smoke.  Nice looking menu but nope.

Why would anyone open a restaurant in this brutally competitive market and then handicap themselves like this?  I really don't get it.

I can think of only one reason. The owners believe there are enough smokers and people who can't eat out without their dogs to make up for any losses they suffer. And, they may be right. I have NO idea what percentage of restaurant goers here fall into those two categories. It will be interesting to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, shoot! I just realized we did to this thread what posters did to the first review that went off track. Sorry. Please return to previously scheduled reviewing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheesh--what a bunch of moaners, with the semi-exception of you, Xena, due to your repentance. Have the rest of you nothing better to do with your time, than to complain about a restaurant through whose doors you are not going to pass? Yeah, the readers of this forum get that you aren't going to support James, Don, and their staff, regardless of the quality of their food. You more than adequately proclaimed your proclivities on the thread begun by Rick, which was the reason I escaped to offer a non-canine-oriented review of this restaurant. So, why don't you return to the other thread in order to continue your rants.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, well, well, and hmmmm. I see that the two threads formerly used for your no-dogs harangues were closed by our esteemed moderator, so you will either need to start another new one or continue your bashing here. Please begin a new thread, and beg the moderator to use a longer leash.

:rolleyes:

I'm heading to JD's!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one thing about smoking that I was never aware of when I smoked, which was before I was disabled by COPD.  However, when I did encounter current smokers, or walk into a place like Tom‘s Barr by mistake, a thought about smoking soon came to mind; that which I had no concept of when I smoked for 43 years.  Yes, I had been completely unaware of just how horribly bad I smelled to others, with my clothing permeated by the stink of tobacco smoke; as did my car and my home.  Now, I cannot stand that smell, even though the smell of a newly lit cigarette still has a certain instant attraction; which passes immediately, though.  That said, the good news is that I will not long be bothered by the stink, nor have to worry about a restaurant flaunting the laws, for the COPD is always worsening and my oxygen tube is only so long....as is my life expectancy.

I don‘t mind the dogs so much, as they are really not a health hazard in any way; except to other dogs.  I do feel sorry for them not also having steak, of course.  Generally, too; they don‘t stink, damage lungs or cause heart failure. They tend to kindness and consideration, usually just wagging their tails at others.   Sot of like some of the old gals at Lake Chapala.   I miss the place, along with many of the other old curmudgeons; those few who haven‘t died yet. The oldtimers are getting scarce !

Happy Holidays !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This a restaurant catering to both their B&B guests and the general public. I'm curious, do they allow dogs and smoking in their rooms? That is not illegal, but certainly foolish. It is many years since I was addicted to tobacco.  When I see those having a big cup of coffee, in the sun, checking out their news and internet with the B&B wi-fi, enjoying the first cigarette of the day, I totally get it. They do not want their guests standing out in the street smoking. I get that too. But you can't have it both ways, you can't designate parts of a restaurant, open to the public, as a "smoking allowed" area and also a "dog friendly" zone.

With your over the top reviews of "Jimmy D's", I can't wait for your review of "Mickie D's"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kb9gzg said:

Sheesh--what a bunch of moaners, with the semi-exception of you, Xena, due to your repentance. Have the rest of you nothing better to do with your time, than to complain about a restaurant through whose doors you are not going to pass? Yeah, the readers of this forum get that you aren't going to support James, Don, and their staff, regardless of the quality of their food. You more than adequately proclaimed your proclivities on the thread begun by Rick, which was the reason I escaped to offer a non-canine-oriented review of this restaurant. So, why don't you return to the other thread in order to continue your rants.

 

In the first place,  what 's with going on about "not supporting James, Don and their staff" as though someone should feel guilt there?  James and Don made the choice about the smoking and the dogs:  if they didn't know that some people would stay away for those reasons, they should have.

Secondly, those who do object don't need to enter a place to know what they don't want in the way of the environment.  As others have mentioned, it is a fiercely competitive environment and there are many places who cater to our preferences.

Thirdly, your attempt to separate the dog issue from the rest of the review is futile.  Everyone is aware of it.

I wish the best to Don, Jim and the staff and hope there are enough people who accept the situation as they have set it up, for them to be successfull.

You........are being unnecessarily snippy in condemning others without cause.. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

This a restaurant catering to both their B&B guests and the general public. I'm curious, do they allow dogs and smoking in their rooms? That is not illegal, but certainly foolish. It is many years since I was addicted to tobacco.  When I see those having a big cup of coffee, in the sun, checking out their news and internet with the B&B wi-fi, enjoying the first cigarette of the day, I totally get it. They do not want their guests standing out in the street smoking. I get that too. But you can't have it both ways, you can't designate parts of a restaurant, open to the public, as a "smoking allowed" area and also a "dog friendly" zone.

With your over the top reviews of "Jimmy D's", I can't wait for your review of "Mickie D's"

I just call 'em the way I see 'em. Get over it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gringal said:

In the first place,  what 's with going on about "not supporting James, Don and their staff" as though someone should feel guilt there?  James and Don made the choice about the smoking and the dogs:  if they didn't know that some people would stay away for those reasons, they should have.

Secondly, those who do object don't need to enter a place to know what they don't want in the way of the environment.  As others have mentioned, it is a fiercely competitive environment and there are many places who cater to our preferences.

Thirdly, your attempt to separate the dog issue from the rest of the review is futile.  Everyone is aware of it.

I wish the best to Don, Jim and the staff and hope there are enough people who accept the situation as they have set it up, for them to be successfull.

You........are being unnecessarily snippy in condemning others without cause.. 

 

Good grief. If you do not purchase a breakfast at this cafe, by definition you are not supporting it. I'm "being unnecessarily snippy without cause?" Please start a new thread to continue your rant, or buy a breakfast at James' and Don's place, and write a review, which is the subject of this thread. (By the way, my wife and I have eaten here three times, and have yet to see a dog in the place. Further, the prevailing breeze and the placement of the smokers' tables will blow any smoke away from the nonsmokers, and up the mountain.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kb9gzg said:

Good grief. If you do not purchase a breakfast at this cafe, by definition you are not supporting it. I'm "being unnecessarily snippy without cause?" Please start a new thread to continue your rant, or buy a breakfast at James' and Don's place, and write a review, which is the subject of this thread. (By the way, my wife and I have eaten here three times, and have yet to see a dog in the place. Further, the prevailing breeze and the placement of the smokers' tables will blow any smoke away from the nonsmokers, and up the mountain.)

I think the subject of rants has been covered.  One person's opinion is another's "rant".  Since you patronize the place, the reviews are up to you and others who do so.  Smoke bothers some people more than others, as do dogs when people are allergic or have other objections.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gringal said:

I think we've covered the subject of rants.  Since you patronize the place, the reviews are up to you and other who also do so.

 

Thank you for your permission to continue the actual subject of this thread. Anyone else had breakfast at JD's? Your review will be very welcome here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kb9gzg said:

Thank you for your permission to continue the actual subject of this thread. Anyone else had breakfast at JD's? Your review will be very welcome here.

The subject was the restaurant.  That includes the food and the environmental factors.....which can't be separated, although you tried very hard to do so.  Or, to put it another way:  if the restaurant could be morphed into a smoking free environment, I and others would go right over there and try it since the food sounds great. Some would even tolerate the mascostas factor.   However, it is what it is, and there is no use in trying to change minds that are well made up, even if it is the best breakfast in town.  Heidi's had excellent food, well prepared.  One trip there was enough. Cough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...