Chapala.com Webboard

Local homeschooling program

sunshine59

Can you clarify a bit ?

Are you looking for other homeschoolers ?

Are you looking for someone to administer and monitor a program for the children ?

Or, are you looking for a curriculum that will be acceptable to US schools should they decide to return ?

C. Stone

Before you hire someone, you must have the curriculum that is accredited and acceptable to a school system if you think your grandchildren will be returning to the US and re-entering school. There may be other homeschoolers here on this web board or over on FaceBook that can give you some pointers.

Just a "heads-up" from a retired teacher: have your grandchildren get library cards from the states and be sure they know how to use Overdrive to check out books. If they have Kindles, then they have no "excuse" for lack of reading material. You will not find much in the way of books in English here for children.

I also recommend you hire a certified teacher if you can find/afford one. 

Feel free to PM me.

Much will depend upon their self-motivation.  Four years we were at sea, cruising to the South Pacific, etc., with a large box of study materials and tests for our young teens.  They studied on sea passages, as they had little else to do beyond their watches and a bit of deck work. I guess boredom may have contributed to their motivation.  They never did attend high school and tested out and then into universities, where one graduated magna and the other suma.  We were lucky, I guess.  Another advantage was leaving from the coastal MA school systems, which are accustomed to seafaring needs and could write off things like PE and acknowledge piloting & navigation skills, as well as the travel and cultural experiences as valid educational benefits.

May you enjoy such good fortune with your grandchildren.

You don't mention the age of the kids or where in the US they are moving from, but if they are highschoolers this program is a terrific option. Grapevine-Colleyville ISD (in North Texas, where D/FW Airport is partially located) has offered for 3 years now the only public, accredited virtual high school, called GCISD I-University Prep. Their high school diploma is fully certified and all work is done online, altho many of the kids who are graduating actually attend a physical graduation, where several meet in person for the first time, despite being "classmates" online. It is the first high school of its kind and has about 385 students enrolled this year. The key would be to enroll the student while in the US, then come down here. Here is the link: http://www.iuniversityprep.org/ which provides contact information as well as information requests.

REQUEST:

Info.iUniversityPrep@gcisd.net

P: 817-305-4895

Toll Free: 855-779-7357

F: 888-342-4927

Archived