Chapala.com Webboard

SIRI in an emergency

Ferret

Just thought I would post this for all those living on their own...it is one of the reasons why I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone.

First of all, Siri must be activated. Siri is the voice of "Apple" that you can ask questions about whatever.

If your phone is plugged in, and you experience an emergency of the kind "I've fallen and I can't get up", you yell "Hey Siri" and then ask her to phone one of your contacts that you have imported into your phone. It really does work.

I can also tell you that Siri is a little bit of a sexist bitch. I asked her to call "Dru X" and she said "Do you mean Doug X?"...duh...she has been programmed that the pronunciation of Droo is really Drew. In my case, NOT. So I had to change the name of my friend to its long form which is Druscilla and Siri is quite content with that.

So, in the car plugged in, excellent emergency use...at home plugged in, excellent emergency use.

I would love to know if this can be done with the Android phones too.

Thanks Chillin for the link.

I'm hoping that someone will actually have one of those apps and will let me know if it will work as I have described how Siri works in an emergency. "In an emergency" meaning that you can't actually  get to the physical phone.

Which model of iPhone do you have RocketPossum?

If we're going to share info for the purpose of being safe, I believe details and links would be helpful. My iPhone is a 6sPlus.

I would love to check out the Google app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-app-search-made-just/id284815942?mt=8 ) but wonder how that would affect what I already know works and do I want to take the chance.

You don't need to take a "chance", Ferret.  You can just download it and you will have both services.  Siri will still be there. Then you can practice with both and see which one is most responsive.  If you prefer the Google service, just always start out with saying "ok Google".  If you prefer Siri, you can uninstall the Google service. Its all free so why not compare them?

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

On Android phones, there is a setting to ensure that Hey Google is always "listening"; otherwise you do need to tap the icon first to get started.

Are you saying that this setting is not available on iPhones?

Also search for personal safety apps and emergency apps. There are many. They require that you have some internet minutes on your smartphone for them to be able to find your GPS location and get the help you need. There also ones which work like the "fallen and can't get up" pendant - the difference being they can tell exactly where you are located if not at home (well, within a 15 foot radius anyways).

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/android-personal-safety-women-apps/

3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Also search for personal safety apps. There are many. They require that you have some internet minutes on your smartphone for them to be able to find your GPS location and get the help you need.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/android-personal-safety-women-apps/

Windows phone do not require data for GPS, therefore coordinates can be given without it, and sent as a text.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Are you saying that this setting is not available on iPhones?

Don't have an iPhone, but did find this: (also, if you leave Siri ON after using it once, it remains active)

If you have an iPhone 6s or later, or an iPad Pro (9.7-inch), you can use "Hey Siri" without plugging your device into power. If you have an iPhone 6 or ealier, or another iPad or iPod touch model, you need to plug your device into power.

1. Go to Settings > Siri. 
  2. Turn on Allow "Hey Siri."
  3. In iOS 9 or later, follow the onscreen prompts to make your voice more recognizable for "Hey Siri."* This lowers the chance that other people will accidentally activate Siri on your device.  

You can turn off "Hey Siri" in Settings > Siri. You can also temporarily turn off "Hey Siri" by placing your device face down. *Information about your voice isn't tracked or stored outside of your iOS device. You can remove this information from your device by turning off “Hey Siri.” 

One thing about leaving OK Google on all the time is that it hears everything I say and starts going nuts with answers to unasked questions, so I don't keep it on.

Mine must have a personality quirk then. I just tried it plugged and unplugged... Siri only works (for me) in this emergency manner when it's plugged in. Phone is closed but plugged in. I said "Hey Siri" from across the room and talked to my friend from across the room and never touched the phone.

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Don't have an iPhone, but did find this: (also, if you leave Siri ON after using it once, it remains active)

If you have an iPhone 6s or later, or an iPad Pro (9.7-inch), you can use "Hey Siri" without plugging your device into power. If you have an iPhone 6 or ealier, or another iPad or iPod touch model, you need to plug your device into power.

1. Go to Settings > Siri. 
  2. Turn on Allow "Hey Siri."
  3. In iOS 9 or later, follow the onscreen prompts to make your voice more recognizable for "Hey Siri."* This lowers the chance that other people will accidentally activate Siri on your device.  

You can turn off "Hey Siri" in Settings > Siri. You can also temporarily turn off "Hey Siri" by placing your device face down. *Information about your voice isn't tracked or stored outside of your iOS device. You can remove this information from your device by turning off “Hey Siri.” 

One thing about leaving Hey Google on all the time is that it hears everything I say and starts going nuts with answers to unasked questions, so I don't keep it on.

Android tablets like my Nexus 7 use "ok Google" ( "hey" is for Siri? ) as the command to listen. If I say that it answers questions, but I have never had it "go nuts with answers to unasked questions".  It does not hear everything I say, only the things that follow me saying "ok Google". If I have a second question, I have to preface it again with "ok Google". It is smart enough to know that the second question is connected to the first one sometimes. I'm not sure if Siri does that.  For example, if I say " ok Google"  " Who is Russell Crowe?" She will answer and tell me about him.  Then I could say " Ok Google"  "Who is he married to?"  It will know who "he" is, and that it is a followup question to the last one.

Someone should make a stylish smartphone pouch which goes over your neck. Good opportunity for local sewers and weavers. Someone has to have a short class on how to download apps and use all the features of your phone, how to block Mexican text advertisers and news, how to use text apps such as "whats app". Sort of like when LCS used to hold meetings for an introduction to computers. The Telcel android phones are around 1,000 pesos, but the brand is only supported in Spanish. They are sold exclusively to Latin America.

LOL! Pouches and belt holders exist and are a great idea...BUT, I generally don't wear anything when I'm having a shower and I've fallen twice now. I also tend to fall off ladders with great regularity. Good thing I have a hard head, strong bones and bounce well.

Archived