Chapala.com Webboard

Neuropathy - seeking support

Arjay

I am struggling with peripheral neuropathy in my legs and feet and suspect there are others in Lakeside who also have this ailment.

One alternative method to deal with the pain is hypnosis - has anyone had any experience with this and / or know of anyone trustworthy in Lakeside who provides this service?

The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy says that individuals can be taught to use self-hypnosis which can provide pain relief for up to several hours at a time.

I have tried acupuncture, physical therapy, TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) machine, pain and nerve medications with no apparent beneficial results. Also, unfortunately I haven't been able to find any online support groups.

Any information or "helpful" suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

:(

I'm going to have a weighted blanket made for my legs.  This may be helpful to you as well.  Google weighted blanket, sensory blanket for neuropathy.    I also elavate my legs above my heart while sleeping and am able to sleep!   In the meantime, I'm using a heavy quilt over my legs.   

Berries: raspberries, blackberries and blue berries are nerve food, I eat a lot of berries in a smoothie with bananas, dates and coconut water.    I drink a tea: dandelion root, horsetail and parsley

1 cup, 3 X a day, this helps with kidney filtration which will help move the acids out that are causing neuropathy.    

There are herbs you can use for pain.  Osso Sans Tumeric has been the best pain reliever I've found.  Anti spasmodic herbs...too late to list now but feel free to send a pm if you're interested and I can share the other herbs I've found locally.  Send me a pm.

Our body does respond to our thoughts giving life or death.  Words are powerful!  Go ahead and say outloud how great you are feeling and how wonderful it is that your legs and feet don't hurt.  I always thank the Lord for what He's doing and done for me and feel so much better in the morning, sometimes even sooner!

Another thought is to try a colchoneta, they are the heavy mats that Mexicans use to sleep on the floor, you can find them at Walmart.  I just put the quilt or blanket over my legs cause I get too hot over the whole body but the weight is wonderful relief!   This evening I used a weighted therapy pillow my husbad bought me at Jardin de Liz just over my knees while watching a movie.  Trying that tonight while going to sleep and it's very nice.  

My pain is just the opposite of SweetHome.  I couldn't stand anything to touch my feet at first.  Shoes, socks, a light sheet were horrible.  I still can't wear closed toe shoes comfortably but weight on my legs or feet would feel awful.  I haven't found anything that helps the pain so I just ignore it.  I've had lots of practice since 1997.  19 years of every step hurting, burning or freezing cold feeling if anything is touching my feet.  Good luck to you.

18 hours ago, MyHomeSweetHome said:

I'm going to have a weighted blanket made for my legs.  This may be helpful to you as well.  Google weighted blanket, sensory blanket for neuropathy.    I also elavate my legs above my heart while sleeping and am able to sleep!   In the meantime, I'm using a heavy quilt over my legs.   

Berries: raspberries, blackberries and blue berries are nerve food, I eat a lot of berries in a smoothie with bananas, dates and coconut water.    I drink a tea: dandelion root, horsetail and parsley

1 cup, 3 X a day, this helps with kidney filtration which will help move the acids out that are causing neuropathy.    

There are herbs you can use for pain.  Osso Sans Tumeric has been the best pain reliever I've found.  Anti spasmodic herbs...too late to list now but feel free to send a pm if you're interested and I can share the other herbs I've found locally.  Most of the things I mentioned you can find at Jardine de Liz natural famacia next door to Super Lake.

I've never heard of a weighted blanket before but I can't stand any pressure or weight on my legs - even my dinner plate gets heavy after a while - but thank you for the suggestion, everyone is different.  I eat all kinds of berries and will look into the tea - thanks.

Goodness, Emu Oil - did your father live in New Zealand?  Has anyone else heard of this and know if it's available Lakeside?  The trouble with so many things is you don't know the potency of what you buy.  The manufacturer can use less than 1 percent of an ingredient and still call it Emu Oil or whatever the product is.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Try the health food place opposite SuperLake. They used to have both emu oil and ostrich oil...a little goes a very long way. I bought it from them when they were located at Colon and the Carretera.

There are places in Baja California that farm both Emu and Ostrich.

I have not heard of hypnosis for neuropathy, however, I expect it has as a good  chance of being successful....our minds are extremely receptive to suggestions as well as recording and responding to our internal dialogue. I am a certified NLP Health Practitioner.  I know NLP can improve clinical outcomes for chronic ailments,  reduce and resolve stress, orient patients toward healing and health. NLP provides techniques that address a wide range of complex and chronic conditions. I suggest you contact http://internationalnlpassociation.org/ to see if there are any certified NLP practitioners in your area or a nearby city. 

Good luck to you  

Sharon St  John 

What is NLP?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

3 hours ago, bigd said:

has anyone tried Cymbalta or Lyrica ?

I have been on Lyrica for about 5 months and don't feel any appreciable improvement in my condition.  I started on a low dose and have gradually increased it to 300 mg a day.  The maximum recommended dose is 600 mg a day but if 300 mg doesn't seem to help, I'm not sure doubling it will make much difference.

I was also prescribed Cymbalta but my pharmacist told me it interacts with other medications I'm on so I didn't try it.  You have to be careful of interactions.

Archived