Chapala.com Webboard

Painting concrete

cedros

I've had my concrete pool deck painted by two different contractors. Both times the paint starts peeling off after a year or so. Does anyone know a contractor/painter who knows what preparation to do and what paint to use so that it will last longer? 

Any surface paint on concrete is difficult to maintain particularly outdoors.  Two part epoxy paints are the most durable but I'd be concerned that since the surface has already been painted it wouldn't stick well over the long haul.

We get in excess of a meter of rainfall here annually.  That leads to moisture rising under concrete, even indoors, which would make it very difficult for any paint to last.

You could try thorough sanding of the surface first followed by epoxy and see if that lasts better.

Home Depot has a product called DeckOver® and it is warranted to stay on for some time if surface prep is done. Also some of the pool supply stores can get and apply a product called Cool Deck® that won't heat up and burn your feet. My Cool Deck has been on 12 years. 

Thanks geeser. I've painted my pool deck 4 times in 7 years. None of the local people seem to know much. I would be very happy with 5 years let alone 12. I don't have a problem with burnt feet but with paint peeling off and looking ugly.

22 hours ago, geeser said:

Home Depot has a product called DeckOver® and it is warranted to stay on for some time if surface prep is done. Also some of the pool supply stores can get and apply a product called Cool Deck® that won't heat up and burn your feet. My Cool Deck has been on 12 years. 

Is that Home Depot in the US or Guadalajara? I don't see it in their catalogue for Guad.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:18 AM, geeser said:

DeckOver might be the way to go but I can't find anyone locally that knows anything about it or how to prepare the deck. Likewise none of the local pool places know anything about Cool Deck. Does anyone know of contractors locally who could handle this?

The most common mistake here is after they pressure wash, you also have to scrape and clean out all the grout lines and any cracks (I would use a high pressure "dry" steamer, or "vapor" cleaner). Hard work for young backs. Then a cement paste with very fine sand onto the cracks and grout lines. Let that cure a bit, then apply your coatings. Very hard to remove paint from concrete, what you really need is a small sandblaster. As I noted with salitre, and as per MC's comment, you should try to find a water permeable coating that allows water to move in and out, but very slowly. But remember, most peeling paint will begin at the grout lines/cracks, because trapped dirt acts like a sponge under the fresh coating.

Epoxy is good, but it will not let any moisture through. It also has the tendency to turn an amber color. To prevent that, you have to put on a coating of UV Aliphatic Urethane - they kind they use in chemical trucks and airplanes. Sometimes the most simple things, are not that simple at all!

Interesting Chillin. None of my peeling paint is at grout lines or cracks. I'm looking for someone knowledgeable who can do this for me. My usual contractor says just get paint from Prisa!?

• 3 weeks later...

Who did you get to repaint your deck?

• 4 weeks later...

I' ve been checking out DeckOver and read this comment about it; "

We just did our deck, and our dogs are leaving marks (soil on their paws) on the deck… I have tried sweeping and I have tried washing the marks away with the hose. No luck! Any advice on how to clean the [very large and dirty] paw prints?!"

This could be a real problem for me if I use it. Also in the dry dusting season I can see it getting quite dirty from the dust as the DeckOver surface appears to be a bit rough I can see this happening.

We've had DeckOver on a wooden deck in California for 5 years and it still looks beautiful. We were painting it every other year before applying it.  No muddy paw prints, but in the rainy season it gets moldy.   We put a 10% bleach solution on it and then use a gentle power wash and it looks like new again.   Surface prep is critical to a good result.  It's really thick and hard.   I think it works well because the areas that might peel are supported by the areas around it that are adhered. 

2 hours ago, Ricand said:

We've had DeckOver on a wooden deck in California for 5 years and it still looks beautiful. We were painting it every other year before applying it.  No muddy paw prints, but in the rainy season it gets moldy.   We put a 10% bleach solution on it and then use a gentle power wash and it looks like new again.   Surface prep is critical to a good result.  It's really thick and hard.   I think it works well because the areas that might peel are supported by the areas around it that are adhered. 

Thanks Ricand.

Archived