Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico considers new gun laws to arm its citizens

geeser

Finally even Mexico has learned that if guns are restricted or limited only gangsters will have guns and law abiding citizens can't protect themselves but they have made the criminals safe and they are now reconsidering.

Mexico considers new gun laws to arm its citizens against violent crime

http://fusion.net/story/356355/mexico-considers-new-gun-laws-to-arm-its-citizens-against-violent-crime/

Mexican gun laws are similar to Canada. I have friends that hunt with long and shotguns. Some do it right here around Lake Chapala for small game.They are not all wealthy and those that aren't do it to put food on the table.  Mexico does not need to emulate the other country in NAFTA.

Your headline and body copy is totally erroneous. It's one PAN senate member's effort which even his own party is against according to your link.

I suggest taking time to read the link.  It clearly identifies the source of the initiative as a PAN Senator and discusses both sides of the issue.  Agree it is a stretch to suggest that "mexico considers..." however the initiative is introduced legislation which means it will be considered in some way, if even quickly rejected, by Mexico's legislature.

This might help against individual robbers but as noted the narcos are armed with the heavy stuff sometimes to the point of equaling or exceeding the army.

We haven't felt it necessary to keep firearms in our home either here or NOB.

The constitution reads "Article 10. The inhabitants of the United Mexican States are entitled to have arms of any kind in their possession for their protection and legitimate defense, except such as are expressly forbidden by law, or which the nation may reserve for the exclusive use of the army, navy, or national guard; but they may not carry arms within inhabited places without complying with police regulations. "

Self explanatory and not dramatic nor restrictive as posters have implied.

2 hours ago, pedroshalfbrother said:

This is why my Mexican friends carry guns.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/passenger-fires-back-kills-four-robbers/

Hola Medio Hermano, finalmente te encuentro!

I love hearing these stories as long as they turn out without innocent bystanders being caught in the crossfire!  That is always a risk.

My wife and stepson were robbed last week on a La Linea bus leaving Guadalajara on it's way to Zihuatanejo.  It happened around Uraupan.  In that case, anyone would have been outgunned as the criminals were packing AK-47's.  Not advisable confronting with a single pistol unless you are an incredible marksman.

I'd love to see the laws changed so that law abiding citizens in Mexico could defend themselves but allowable calibers will need to be increased.

I was so excited when Dr. Mireles and his "Autodefensas" emerged.  Within a short time they had almost completely cleared Michoacan of Narcos.  Life was returning to normal.  Autodefensas were really making a difference and unlike the government, making headway.  The only thing that has worked was then dismantled by the government.  Guess allowing armed citizens was setting a nerve racking precedent for an often corrupt government and given Mexico's propensity for revolution, guess I can understand their sudden change of heart in leaving the Autodefensas armed.  The logical progression might have been, "having got rid of the drug criminals, now it's the government criminals turn"?

At any rate, people have a right to defend themselves against criminals and governments alike.  Mexican government should trust Her citizens.  And as long as Mexico has the interests of Her people at heart, She should not have anything to fear from them.

Your long lost hermano,

pedro malo

Archived