Chapala.com Webboard

NO AMERICAN FLAG AT THE CHAPALA PARADE TODAY

Monessen

Guest bennie2

there will always be nasty comments about politicans. remember bush, nixon? critisizing policies is not nasty. no one called for our last presidents death. let me tell you there were many reasons to think in that direction. fortunatly, thats not the way sane people roll. some elders here are unhinged, let it go. difference of opinion & values are not hate speech. some DT comments were dumb, & were walked back. thats all. TOB is hate speech.

3 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

there will always be nasty comments about politicans. critisizing policies is not one of them. no one called for our last presidents death. let me tell you there were many reasons to think in that direction. fortunatly thats not the way sane people roll. some elders here are unhinged, let it go.

Bennie, so all the hangman nooses ( lynching) with Obama's name on the internet were not really there? Please.

Guest bennie2

very few of that compared to what is going on now. not everyone is educated, just take a look @ TOB for example. the media is hating white people, its worse as its an explosion of resentment. did they do this towards obama supporters? cant recall, neither can you. this is an explosion. back to the US flag & the parade: douteful it has anything to do election. if it does, who cares? i thought being anti america was the hip in thing to do, so why the complaints? im done.

3 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

very few of that compared to what is going on now. not everyone is educated, just take a look @ TOB for example. the media is hating white people, its worse as its an explosion of resentment. did they do this towards obama supporters? cant recall, neither can you. this is an explosion. back to the US flag & the parade: douteful it has anything to do election. if it does, who cares? i thought being anti america was the hip in thing to do, so why the complaints? im done.

Current President saw an increase of death threats at 400% of previous Presidents, 30+ per day. This according to the Secret Service. Very few huh? LOL. Most racially motivated.

7 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I want to be sure I have this right. All the videos and blogs and Twitters of and by Trump and his team with their hate speech were faked???

No your misuse of labels failed.

For example mysogynist:

noun

1. 1.
    a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.
    synonyms: woman-hater;

Now that is like calling Bill Clinton a mysogynist.  The problem is the both of them, indeed many politicians, love women too much. :D

It is pretty silly to label someone who is surrounded by very strong women in his family AND his business this.  It becomes even funnier when you realize his female campaign manager was the first woman to win the presidency in this capacity.

Similarly, this careless and ignorant throwing around of labels like "racist" adds nothing to the dialogue and to apply it to a guy whose organization is very equal opportunity and who has gone out of his way to eliminate racism from his golf clubs is also rather silly and demeaning to the people who do this.

What needs to happen here is for everyone to calm down, stop with the excessive language and behavior and move forward.  The new POTUS has already met with the President of Mexico and they have already arranged a second meeting.  Both candidates were invited but only Mr. Trump made the effort in the middle of a hotly contested election to come.  That says something to me.

I'm amazed that so many can't seem to grasp that this guy was hated almost as much by the hard liners and establishment political hacks of his own party as he was by the other side.  There's an old joke about a compromise being a good one if both sides think the other got the better of it.  The new POTUS is a social liberal/libertarian and a populist.  You may disagree with his policy ideas but the fact remains he was the one speaking most strongly to the declining working middle class in America.  That is why flyover country went strongly for him.

Also the new POTUS has already indicated his initial focus will be on deporting criminals and securing the border after which the rest of the issue can be addressed.  That seems a very reasoned and rational approach to me as well.  Really, how could anyone think the current border situation can go on endlessly?  

I will say my biggest concern about all of this is the deporting of the criminals.  I'm concerned that too many of them will find their way here and other expat communities like Mazatlan, PV, Cancun, etc.  We could be in for a rough ride from this but I sure can't blame my native country for not wanting these people withing their borders.

Let's don't let a few haters in this community drive a wedge between us.  I hope all of you will condemn in the strongest terms anyone here or anywhere who is calling for or happy about the notion of violent reprisals against your fellow expats who did not agree with your choice in the U.S. election.

21 minutes ago, ficklepie said:

If you voted for Trump, your neighbors think you are a racist bigot. Please try explaining all this to them. Oh, maybe learn Spanish first, too. Or just go back to the US where you're wanted.

I have explained it to them.  Haven't met a single one who agrees with your extremism, sorry.  The typical reaction is that they agree Mexico wouldn't tolerate the current border situation at all if the situation were reversed.  Nor should they.

Now knock off the hate speech and the blanket misrepresentations.  Thank you.

18 hours ago, Monessen said:

I attended the parade this morning in Chapala and for the first time I noticed the flag of the U.K. displayed where the U.S. flag was displayed. I remember always seeing the flags of Mexico, Canada and the U.S. displayed in the past. I think I would have remembered it if I saw the U.K. flag posted so conspicuously since I have lived in Chapala since 2013. There are always doubter in the crowd so I took some pictures to prove the point. I saw no U.S. flags at the parade. I am not getting political--I just am pointing out what I saw without commentary.

IMG_20161118_113706.jpg

IMG_20161118_113754.jpg

Perhaps the explanation for these flags on the Bombero  truck which was donated by a Canadian group called Firefighters Without Borders, had some UK  members at this end as well.

People people, it's hardly been two weeks, calm down, take a deep breath, this too will pass. All the hysteria and hand wringing will calm, have another cerveza, chill out and enjoy the place you are fortunate to live in. I know you have nothing better to do than imagine the worst, but as my Mother used to tell me "the things you worry about the most never happen". America has always prided itself and stood high in the world by essentially having a peaceful bloodless revolution every 4 years, this is no different, only the folks who disagree are different. I saw no hysteria like this in 2008 from the opposition? - I saw no hysteria like this in 2012 from the opposition? - just calm down and take a deep breath and enjoy the fact you are in a lovely place and darn lucky to be among the few, the fortunate who call that place home.

Bomberos Jocotepec with their truck donated by the City of Lethbridge,Alberta and facilitated by the Rotary Club there and here. Unfortunately the first brush fire they used it for they got too close. Any equipment that comes here now also has Canadian firefighters coming here to teach the usage of same. Some of the bomberos around the lake didn't even have turnouts,maybe 1 tattered jacket to share. The jaws of life in Tizapan  who patrol all the way to San Luis Soyatlan was a crowbar.

bomberos jocotepec 001.jpg

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Condemning the obvious in your link is a long ways from branding your expat neighbors as "racist and bigoted" simply because they didn't vote the way you wanted them to, which is basically what you did in your earlier post.

BTW everyone might want to read up on the impact FATCA had on the expat vote world wide.  Apparently many figured out that the people who passed FATCA weren't going to repeal it and voted accordingly.

15 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

I thought that was a BIGOT. Why can't people just see how  things go before they condemn?

In the world of "newspeak" racist and bigot have the same meaning. :D

People certainly can condemn the election results if they want to.  That is called free speech.  Where I have a problem is when they condemn their neighbors and cheer those who are actually threatening other expats because they don't like the results of the election.

I was here for the last election and I can't recall any of the kind of personal nastiness and hostility towards fellow expats that some have and are manifesting locally, such as the direct expression of hope for violent reprisals that have been expressed by some on TOB.

If you are one of those people you would do well to remember what Ben Franklin said at the signing of the Declaration of Independence:

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Note I am not moderating this thread because I am an active participant.  Please feel free to address complaints or concerns about it to one of the other moderators or to Admin.

Archived