Chapala.com Webboard

good news if you drive to the border

Like many others, we drive north every spring, and take our two dogs.   An 11 hour drive to Laredo (or other border town) is too much for us and the animals, so we usually stop in Matehuala and stay at Las Palmas or one of the other hotels there that take dogs.   However, the drive to Matehuala is only 5-6 hours, and we wish we could go further north and make the border earlier the next day.

We have stayed in Saltillo at  Rancho el Morillo      , but find it expensive for very sparse accommodation.  One year we stayed at the American Business Hotel when it was undergoing renovations, and it worked out perfectly, but the hotel changed management and ceased to be a dog-friendly hotel.  Later, we found the hotel became a Four Points by Sheraton Hotel, and, though it was advertised as dog-friendly, reviews at Travelocity, Expedia, Bookings.com, etc all indicated that the non-refundable charge for dogs was in excess of $50 US, which is unacceptable.

Yesterday, on a hunch, I contacted the hotel (which has a new manager) directly, and asked them to clarify their pets policy.   This is the reply I received:

Dear Lynn,

Firstly I want to thank you for contacting Four Points by Sheraton for your forthcoming visit to Saltillo. I am really sorry for the misleading information. We are definitely a pet friendly hotel. We only have an extra charge of $10 US on our best available rate per night for guests wanting to bring their dogs (within a reasonable number)

If you want further information please do not hesitate to contact me  and I will personally look into your reservation so no extra fees or hidden charges will apply

Looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards

Manuel Cutrona
Operations Manager
T 844 4388800 F 844 4388804
Four Points by Sheraton
Saltillo
Carretera Monterrey – Saltillo 9000
Saltillo, Coahuila México C.P. 25015

Further investigation into the hotel showed that, although it received critical reviews in 2015 it appears the new management is cleaning things up and it looks like an acceptable option in terms of cleanliness, etc.  

It certainly is very, very convenient.  

I hope it becomes popular among those travelling with pets and maintains this policy.  

Yes I can confirm this also and they have accepted pets since the remodel was finished about a year ago.  There is an excellent restaurant 10 minutes up the road on the lateral, El Meson Principal.  If you cannot make it to Saltillo going North, there is a new hotel that just opened in San Pedro about 1/2 way the distance from Matehuala, but I do not know about the dog policy.  

thanks, Kiko!  Good to get alternate confirmation of this.

The reason we wanted Saltillo was that it is an easy drive (8-ish hours) if you go up through San Juan de los Lagos, Aguascalientes and Zacatecas, then straight up Highway 54 to Saltillo.  We have done this on several occasions and it is shorter that going over to San Luis Potosi and up to Matehuala then Saltillo.  However, our choices for places to stay with 2 small dogs was limited. The advantage to getting to Saltillo is a much shorter run to Laredo in the morning (than from Matehuala) and therefore able to get farther up into Texas for the second day and therefore much more options for hotels, etc than the area below and up to San Antonio provides.  Since our trip is 5-6 days in total, we find that if we only take the relatively short drive to Matehuala, it is a kind of 'false start' to our journey, being only a 5-6 hour trip from Lakeside.

Kiko-  Sorry, not from personal experience we can't. We've always just driven straight through to Saltillo with no stops or problems.  If you are wanting to break up the drive, I understand Zacatecas is a beautiful city to visit.  Maybe someone else has some hotel suggestions.

there is very little between zacatecas and saltillo. however in concepcion del oro, about 1.5 hours south of saltillo is the pueblo del minero, very clean, decent and relatively new with restaurant. but it is on the highway and the trucks are noisy all night. you might check out hotel ONE which is south west of saltillo, clean and quiet. they now offer breakfast with the room rate, not expensive. in saltillo there is hotel nuvo, very nice and quiet. i do not know the pet policy at these hotels.

Archived