Chapala.com Webboard

One of my employees who's car insurance I pay has had an accident weeks ago. An administrative screw up by the agent selling the insurance delayed the settlement for almost one months.

Ever since my employee sees daily the local agent and insurance provider just to be told manaña, its now stuck in the valuation department. Does an insured have to get an lawyer to get things going, the truck involved in the accident has been in the Chapala compound for almost 2 months because of the insurance companies inability to get their act together. Any idea on how to proceed since both the agent and the insurance company are very uncooperative in settling the accident claim.

My car is in the compound and I was told it would take a minimum of 20 days to get it out even if everything went smoothly . The vehicule is held like a guaranty that things will be settled if not it could be ther efor ever. See what it will take to settle this quickly or it could be there for ever..

48 minutes ago, bmh said:

My car is in the compound and I was told it would take a minimum of 20 days to get it out even if everything went smoothly . The vehicule is held like a guaranty that things will be settled if not it could be ther efor ever. See what it will take to settle this quickly or it could be there for ever..

The car has been in the compound over 6 weeks now, insurance is promising every day to decide if they pay for total loss or get  it repaired, its a merry go around between agent Qualitas HQ, local office. The adjuster is ok and cannot understand whats going on.

7 minutes ago, bmh said:

that is what my agent told me..the cars are a guaranty that everything will be settled and until it is the car will stay,, put pressure on the insurrance to do whatevery they are going to do,

Sounds more or less what my agent said, we have been putting pressure on the insurance but they just give you the famous manaña deal, in the meantime had to buy a new car to keep moving around, guess they will get tired of daily calls and settle for a christmas gift....

I am about to get into that new experience about getting the car out..another headache.. the laws are really screwed up and you would think that Mexicans who have insurrance and some money would get together and have them changed..I guess corruption talks and it is easier to pay off someone..but in the long run it hurts everyone..

It is easy to say run.. but I sure would not want to run and then be caught and have to deal with that other nighmare. Anything you say or do goes against you .remember that one.

Also if you run you will lose the car for sure and then what..

to get the car or to get an answer from the MP or are you talking to joco69

For the car this morning I asked the agent if it was true there would be a 20 day delay and he told me 20 days is the best you can expect it can take 2 to 3 months sometimes. Apparently the laws are bad.. They were written for two types of people in my view, the rich that are above the law and the masses who very often have no insurrance so the cars become the guaranty that all the damages will be paid... In our case we all agreed to pay our own damages and signed off in front of the MP so you would think that that would speed up the process.  We will see,,

I drove to Chapala  to go and talk to the guys where the car was inpounded and I did not feel like going through that ordeal today so I came back without going..Ill deal with it tomorrow as Scarlet would have said..

My Mom's car was stolen some years ago. We did the whole Ministerio Publico thing. The cops found it a week later, but neglected to tell us for weeks. It eventually took us about 90 days to get it out of the coral (then located on the way to Vista del Lago). While in the coral, it was broken into, and basically vandalized. Then we had to also pay towing, both into and out of the coral. We went to the Presidente's office and the sub-mayor gave us a break on the daily charge, while telling us we were "stealing the food out of the mouths of Mexico's children". Apart from the logistical nightmare of paperwork, taht crappy little MP office, demands for letters (from Interpol!) to show that she was the rightful owner, and lack of respect from everyone concerned, my Mom--as a senior lady with back problems--had to suffer three months with no vehicle.

Best of luck.

yes your story is similar to others..There seem to be no end to badly thoughout laws and basic corruption.. That is why  I decided not to go today because if you are going to go into a battle just as well going well prepared. I am a citizen and the car is Mexican plated, we have the original factura, everyone signed they would pay for their own damage so I wonder what the story is going to be about taking the car out..

Maybe try telling Qualitas ( a manager at head office, not the adjuster or whoever answers the phone) that if they don't move on this, you will be telling all your friends and acquaintances who have policies with them that they had better switch to a company that is responsive to their clients. If they have reason to believe they stand to lose a lot of business, they just might make mañana actually mañana.

On 11/18/2016 at 10:54 AM, bmh said:

I am about to get into that new experience about getting the car out..another headache.. the laws are really screwed up and you would think that Mexicans who have insurrance and some money would get together and have them changed..I guess corruption talks and it is easier to pay off someone..but in the long run it hurts everyone..

It is easy to say run.. but I sure would not want to run and then be caught and have to deal with that other nighmare. Anything you say or do goes against you .remember that one.

Also if you run you will lose the car for sure and then what..

Just learned the car can be taken out of the compound anytime against paying the daily fee and the pickup truck that took it there. The agent advises against this since the insurance might then not pay for that part or continue to drag its feet. 

Latest news its advanced from valuation to judicial dept so there is hope things will get settled soon. I have learned in my 26 Mexico and 10 years Brazil patience is a good thing to exercise to get eventually what you want.

I am being told that first I must have the dictamen from the MP  , they decide who is the responsable party that will pay. Then the MP gives a release order and then you have to strat the proces with a tramite. to get the car out and that can take many weeks.. 

Do you have the release order?  Did you start the paperwork to get the car out..?

In my case the damage is minimal  and I will pay for it so there is no reason for any delay except that ther is something reallly wrong with the system.

Maybe this is why many Mexicans I know carry "driver's license insurance". Without going into great detail, here is a link in English to explain how this works. https://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/driverslicense.php

Mine is with GNP, and about three times more expensive than what this link quotes.These policies are also offered in the U.S.A. I believe. If in an accident, the policy covers me, and only me, for personal liability, and I can get an insurance adjuster on it right away. The car - it does not belong to me, so to take it would really be a form of theft. The owner of the vehicle can seek damages against me, personally, if they wish, but I am more likely to get it towed, and fixed economically with my own connections. Like the link says, this is most often on older, or paid off vehicles which are routinely written off by insurance companies if the vehicle carries accident vehicle damage coverage. Then the insurance company sells the car for parts and salvage - which is a very lucrative business in Mexico.

If the vehicle really is totalled - I will just be glad to alive, then get well, and find another one. The biggest problem is if the vehicle is stolen, the driver's insurance policy will not cover it. Just pick a vehicle which is very unlikely to be a target for car thieves and chop shops.

Chillin

many Mexicans do not have liability insurrance which is supposed to be compulsory so I doubt that many carry  a driver license insurrance that is for foreign plated cars.

I have a Mexican plated  car and on my insurrance any driver  I designate to drive my car  is covered.

I have a Mexican plated car, not in my name, and GNP it is one of the largest  Mexican insurers around. I can drive any vehicle in Mexico, without having to check if the owner has current liability insurance. I cannot include any other drivers on the GNP policy.

Archived