Chapala.com Webboard

Buying large shrimp?

Lexy

The best place we have found is the fish guy at the Wed. tiangus.  He is at the bottom of the hill on the west side.  His shrimp are still frozen and fresh. He has medium and large.  He also had a store upstairs in the Chapala mercado.  I don't know if he is still there.

We have bought shrimp at other places and they are very salty. 

The only un-salty shrimp I've purchased around here in years, is the fish store near SuperLake. They can order "fresh shrimp": that is to say, never frozen. Research shows that all shrimp boats salt the catch to keep them "fresher", and until they stop doing that, we are doomed. It is very unusual to get never-frozen shrimp, but the taste is sweet and unsalty. Much sweeter than frozen.

The shrimp guy at the tianguis, no offense, has his shrimp semi-thawed each time he moves it, and while I have never had problems with it, I prefer Pacifico: one reason is they have a variety of sizes; another is that their prices are competitive, and a final reason is the shrimp is maintained always frozen.

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

The only un-salty shrimp I've purchased around here in years, is the fish store near SuperLake. They can order "fresh shrimp": that is to say, never frozen. Research shows that all shrimp boats salt the catch to keep them "fresher", and until they stop doing that, we are doomed. It is very unusual to get never-frozen shrimp, but the taste is sweet and unsalty. Much sweeter than frozen.

The shrimp guy at the tianguis, no offense, has his shrimp semi-thawed each time he moves it, and while I have never had problems with it, I prefer Pacifico: one reason is they have a variety of sizes; another is that their prices are competitive, and a final reason is the shrimp is maintained always frozen.

This fall I have gone to Pacifico 3 different days early AM & the top layer of shrimp has been defrosted. So much so that I am pretty sure they turn down the freezers at night.  Costa D Alegre near Super lake has a far better selection of fresh fish,  good freezers & the old staff from Pacifico who are very helpful & pleasant.  Have not compared their prices but its quality that counts.  Costa's fresh salmon on Wed & fresh swordfish & grouper are great.

We stopped shopping at the place by Superlake after getting short weighted twice.  We use Pacifico but have not problem walking out the door if we don't like what we see that day.  Funny, we had friends from San Blas over for dinner this summer.  They said they do not see the quality of shrimp there that we get here.

ComputerGuy sez:

Research shows that all shrimp boats salt the catch to keep them "fresher"...

Are you referring to spraying with seawater and flash-freezing at sea? Or do you mean brining by soaking in salted water?

Fresh shrimp are so perishable that, unless kept alive in a seawater tank, they turn to mush after about 24 hours out of water if not frozen.

Also curious about the difference between ocean-caught shrimp and farmed shrimp. When I lived on the Nayarit coast, one old-timer claimed that all ocean-caught shrimp are sold with the heads off because they are removed at sea before the shrimp are flash frozen. Fewer heads-on shrimp means more can be stored in the freezer hold before returning to shore. Any truth to this?

Thanks, Don

Flash freezing at sea. I believe a saline solution is used, never read anything about seawater.

I kinda doubt that the heads are removed: too time-consuming, and many fish outlets want the heads on for a variety or reasons. But I don't know.

Archived