Chapala.com Webboard

Near new tires on our CRV, spouse just ripped the sidewall out of a tire on one of our crappy roads.  The tires were bought in U.S. and have road hazard guarantee but will they cover it down here?  U.S. says yes but this is Mexico so quien sabes?

Don't want to go all the way over there if they won't cover it anyway.

Any of you taken U.S. purchased Costco tires to the Mexican store and they took care of it?

Thanks

If the US Costco says yes, it might be worth contacting their head office. Costco is a pretty consumer-friendly corporation and they might read Costco Mexico the riot act if they are not honoring warranties that they are supposed to.

A neighbor of mine was ordering products to acid stain his concrete floors from an outfit in Guadalajara. One of the products arrived opened and unmarked and he asked them to send him a sealed one, as he couldn't be assured that what he had received was what he had paid for. He was getting no proper response from the Guad. folks (they said they wouldn't send a new package), so he contacted the company that manufactures these products in the US and asked if they knew how their distributor here was dealing with their customers. Within 5 minutes he got a phone call from the distributor in Guad. saying they were sending him a new package.

Costco Mexico is not owned by Costco U.S.  They are a minority partner.  That may affect things.

The biggest problem I have is finding the tire at all.  Right now I'm trying to find someone who speaks Spanish fluently and understands enough about tires to call them and see if they have this tire.  The other three are basically new, if I can't find this tire then I have to replace at least two of them.

It is a Bridgestone Ecopia.  I'm learning the hard way to stick with Michelins as these Bridgestones don't seem to be tough enough for these awful roads.

We had one of the fellows who goes to Texas bring us the replacement tire.  It might take a month and since you need the car see if one of the used tire guys has one that will do until the replacement arrives.  You probably wouldn't find a comparable tire in Michelin either.

I could take care of your problem with tires.

I will bring you a bi-lingual person or you could meet me in your area and I will take you to a person who can make the call or I will take you to a Costco person in guadalajara with near perfect english and or I can take you to a great tire man that will get you the used tire you require

No charge, in money, just a small favor from you.

Fred

Offer stands Fred.  Just ask.  If I can I will.  No tit for tat.

That's how things operate on this board and in this community for the most part.  We help each other out with no expectation of return.  Over the long haul, what goes around comes around.  This is a great and generous bunch of folks here.

Mainecoons, I have to respectfully disagree with you about your assumptive statement above that Michelins are "tough enough for these awful roads" either.  I just had to replace a set of Michelin Latitudes on my Explorer with only about 25,000 km. on them.  The tread material just started to disintegrate and the tire guys said it is a result of damage from stones (ie. our cobblestone roads & streets).  Recently I ventured onto a trail and ended up slicing open the sidewall on one of them with a sharp stone.  So, time to replace all 4.

I did some research and settled on a stronger tire with an XL load range rating in the same size.  I picked a newly introduced product from Kumho - their Crugen HT51 with a 720AA rating.  It is available in the US from Wal-Mart, etc. and about half the price of the roughly equivalent rated BFG's T/A All-terrain radial.  I purchased them on the last trip north and so far I am extremely pleased with them.  They have a nice blocky solid looking tread pattern but are very quiet running and they just feel better handling than the Michelins ever did.

That's really good information and thank you for it.  However, I gotta solve this problem locally.  Before I put these Bridgestones on I was using Michelins and had many fewer problems with them.  With these tires, this will be the third one needing replacement in less than a year.

Ozzie...I agree with you. We stopped buying Michelin after the short tread life did them in. I actually agreed with the tire man to try 2, made in China, tires with a high tread life warranty on the rear and 2 ,made in Mexico, tires on the front.....I prefer buying them here in Mexico because of the warranty...which, I admit, I have never tried to collect on.

Fred Habacht

Archived