Chapala.com Webboard

Monday accident

bmh

Snowyco listen to what I say this is a new law coming from the Judicial reform so check what the reforma is all about. The police was bitching about it saying that it was easier for the criminals to go but I did not get into it because life is just too short to read law reforms and books at this time in my life.

Mwanwhile I woiuld like information on the owners of these dogs who are left running the highway as someone else could have the same reation as I had.

As we all said pinche perro...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you are caught up in a situation like that you are dazed so all this clear thinking comes after the fact. If you see a kid crying out in pain you go and comfort him or her , I do not run away because I may go to jail. I did not move him but I stayed with him and held his nad. The little girl had a little chihuahua which I help secure in a shawl and she sat with me with her brother until the ambulance came..yes I could have run away and I would have felt very bad about it. .

The construction workers got her and her brother out of the car and then helped with the grand-father and the grand-mother, they did not run away but run to help get the people out.. Cruz roja was helped by the workers with the grand father as his back was hurt.

Some people live in fear of everything and some others do not.. I refuse to be scared of anything , I am 70 and I am not going to let anything or anyone scare me or act in such a way that will haunt me later. I do my best and if that is not good enough be it.. The 3 drivers ended up being friendly and laughed about the whole thing..a whole lot better than getting mad and suing everyone.. No one was out to hurt anyone , neither the one without insurrance or the ones with insurrance. 

We will see next week what the MP decides and go from there, meanwhile life goes on withot a car as they were all inpounded for a minimum of 20 days..

6 hours ago, zerbit said:

Just reminded me why I'm content to live in the center of a village, walk to where I want to go, take busses for longer trips and not worry about the hassles of cars anymore. Taxis are fine as well.

Well no if the taxi is in an accident and you are in it and someone is hurt you can go to jail also.  Witness an accident and you can go to jail sometimes. The point is everybody goes to jail who is involved in the accident sometimes if injury occurs. Some one who was parked getting a taco had his car hit and ended up going to jail with everybody else because a motorcyclist was injured in the accident. Injury changes things here folks.   

52 minutes ago, bmh said:

When you are caught up in a situation like that you are dazed so all this clear thinking comes after the fact. If you see a kid crying out in pain you go and comfort him or her , I do not run away because I may go to jail. I did not move him but I stayed with him and held his nad. The little girl had a little chihuahua which I help secure in a shawl and she sat with me with her brother until the ambulance came..yes I could have run away and I would have felt very bad about it. .

The construction workers got her and her brother out of the car and then helped with the grand-father and the grand-mother, they did not run away but run to help get the people out.. Cruz roja was helped by the workers with the grand father as his back was hurt.

Some people live in fear of everything and some others do not.. I refuse to be scared of anything , I am 70 and I am not going to let anything or anyone scare me or act in such a way that will haunt me later. I do my best and if that is not good enough be it.. The 3 drivers ended up being friendly and laughed about the whole thing..a whole lot better than getting mad and suing everyone.. No one was out to hurt anyone , neither the one without insurrance or the ones with insurrance. 

We will see next week what the MP decides and go from there, meanwhile life goes on withot a car as they were all inpounded for a minimum of 20 days..

Brigette

my favorite saying for the past 20+ years has been ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING." You have a great one.

If you are who I think you are, BMH, I just want to say, "Way to go!"  I know you were cool and impressive thru the whole ordeal, and no doubt the authorities you dealt with realized that they were very lucky to have you instead of one of us gringas who would fall apart and cry and lie on the floor and scream. And I am glad to hear the great Bubba brought you food and necessaries. I knew that man would come in handy to you one of these days. My best to you both! 

Yes, kudos to you Brigitte for keeping your head and a good "attitide", which is indeed, everything, under those circumstances.  Best of luck.

I hope none of us gringas would actually cry, lie on the floor and scream. Let's hope all of us have friends to bring us food and a blanket.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Yes, quite agree that shock takes over at first. My remarks were certainly not aimed at you but rather at a system that almost encourages people to flee. What is wrong with these people that make these laws?

I saw, in my rearview mirror while stopped at a light, a taxi suddenly make a left into oncoming cars and smash right into a moto with 2 occupants who both went flying on a busy street just last week. At least one got up and approached the taxi who sped away at high speed. I was disgusted but now I'm starting to see maybe why this is so prevalent here in our adopted country.

Good thing I didn't stick around and volunteer as a witness. I may have spent a night or 2 in the pokey, yuck!

I do not know about the witnesses, I had a woman and a child in the car and they were let go. None of the witnesses were picked up so at least in that case none of the witnesses were ask to go to jail. Maybe it is different when someone dies.

No point crying as it does no good. Just posted that as I thought it would be useful for anyone to know, You need to have in your cell phone or handy the name of someone who speak Spanish and can bring you basics when you get picked up. They have blankets but it is about it and warm ones at this time of the year are good to have .. I was more worried about the dengue than the blankets but nice warm blankets and a pillow sure would have been nice. The dispatch has  pads to sleep on, which I was offered after the fact. They say there are no mattress because people who stay there destroy them..

Yes being friendly to the police in that case helps you can get more for yourself  if you are friendly than if you start complaining. I gave them a bad time about the bathrooms but on that one after this is all over I will go and ask if something can be done about their house cleaning and the lack of running water in the cells, a bucket full of water would help a lot. Telling people they will need toilet paper or have a list of what people can bring and will need would be a big help too as you do not know what to expect. . A list of the does and don´t would help and keeping people aware of the process would also help.. We will see if anyone respond to my request..first I need to be on the clear and then I will talk to some people about it.

In British Columbia, Canada, basic insurance is mandatory and is included in the cost of renewing your plates. If you want additional insurance, you have the option of adding benefits through ICBC or a private insurer. This, in my opinion, is a no-brainer as far as ensuring that everyone who is on the road is carrying basic liability insurance. Why they don't do this everywhere is beyond me.

Anyone who is going to respond re how poor Mexicans can't afford insurance, don't bother. if you are driving on public roads, you need to have insurance. Otherwise, take the bus.

mudgirl you are in Mexico and that is the way it is.. The Mexicans often work it out between themselves and rather  pay for the damages out of their own pocket rather than pay an insurrance every month. I know it is exactly what the other 2 parties were doing, they were negociating how they were going to handle the payments when the  police told us the time was up and we had to leave so the negociations were stopped but they were working it out.

May be the currant system will be changed one day but right now it is the way it is.

By the way do not go to France because a lot of people there are going without the insurrance as it is very expensive..not all countries are alike and that is the first thing to learn when you move abroad.

In France the uninsurred do not work it out they go to jail or just do not pay.

2 minutes ago, bmh said:

mudgirl you are in Mexico and that is the way it is.. The Mexicans often work it out between themselves and rather  pay for the damages out of their own pocket rather than pay an insurrance every month. I know it is exactly what the other 2 parties were doing, they were negociating how they were going to handle the payments when the  police told us the time was up and we had to leave so the negociations were stopped but they were working it out.

May be the currant system will be changed one day but right now it is the way it is.

By the way do not go to France because a lot of people there are going without the insurrance as it is very expensive..not all countries are alike and that is the first thing to learn when you move abroad.

Yes, I have lived in Mexico for 15 years and many other places in the world. I am well aware that that is not what is happening here as well as other places. I was suggesting that it was a good system to make sure that everyone is carrying insurance.

8 hours ago, bmh said:

You break as a reaction not after logically thinking about the animal or not..Things happen very quickly. In theory you guys are right and go for the animal but it is not always what happens.

This is a Chapala forum and this happened in Chapala. If you want to post about Yucatan go to the Mexico section..I am not going to spend anytime checking the laws, there are lawyers for that and if someone wants to spend time or money checking the laws in Jalisco be my guest.

I have zero interest in researching the law..There were 3 lawyers involved and the Ministerio Publico, the fire department, the transitos, the municipal police and Cruz Rojas plus a doctor , forensics and a clinic..if they tell me that it is the way it is be it , ..it is ok with me and go on to the next thing. 

Were you allowed 1 call to your attorney?

At the MP I was allowed as many calls as I wanted to. I was read my rights pointing out I was Innocent until proved, I was not..but when I got to the cell and my friend handed me his cell phone the cop told him it was not allowed  to have a cell phone or make calls and when I made a call on the cell phone I was told it was not allowed and I asked what happened to my rights to make phone calls I was told that was different in jail.. There was a phone booth in the courtyard but since I had nothing with me I am not sure how I could have called.. I guess my friend could have gotten a card and then I could have ask for permission to call..

Later on when we were allowed to stay in the office rather than in the cell we made friends with the people there and I could call whenever I wanted to..so I really do not know what the rule is. At the MP they made me sign a form saying I had called such and such a number and sign for it. I made 3 calls but none of them went through so I really did not reach anyone. At the police station there was no log of my calls when I made them..who knows...I was annoyed at the lawyer was not letting me know what was going on so I tried to call my husband to tell him to fire the lawyer but I could not reach my husband or the lawyer so I just went with the flow.

The lawyer was contacted by my insurrance and spoke very little to me. He did communicate with my husband.

I think that if you cannot call you can fight it and you would get your way but I was not in the mood to fight for the telephone..

mudgirl , when I found out who is to blame for the accident it would be interesting to hear what their take will be on the man who was tailgating and had not insurrance...Cannot wait to find out if I find out about the thinking or the details.. 

Who knows if the insurrance  is enough of a  priority to really enforce the law..

People have to be careful driving that area between the two Haciendas. Dogs - they are everywhere, and the central highway concrete barrier is high enough that animals, the young, and the elderly have difficulty getting over them. I mean it took over 40 years for a rattlesnake (with eggs) to cross the highway from Hacienda 3, or Brisas.

The real problem is another sort of rattlesnake. The speed limit there is clearly posted 60 km., and there is an ideal spot there for the police to tag speeders there, most often travelling at over 100 km, business as usual.

I also, am respectful that you could keep your cool about and see the humor in all this, and I hope you appreciate this comment, but it looks like the time you were locked up in the hoosegow, Bubba2shoes was eating forbidden pulled pork sammichs at the food truck by Casa Waffles! I do know, however, he probably fretted more than anyone, and would have been willing to go on a hunger strike if that would have got you out sooner.

I sent this link to my insurance agent, asking if there was any further coverage I could buy which would keep me out of jail in this situation, but he said no.  Here is what he did say:

There is legal defense on your auto Insurance that includes bond to secure your release until the investigations is completed. This is what happened in this accident. The Ministerio Publico was waiting for the official results and no insurance company can issue a bond until the MP have the results.

It’s important to mention this again, there is no insurance company in Mexico that can issue a bond until the MP have the result of the investigation.

Obviously when there is an accident and everybody involved has insurance it’s easier for the Lawyer or Adjuster to fix the problem at the accident site instead of Ministerio Publico (“jail”).

At the end of the day it’s not easy to determinate if there is going to be this kind of problems during an accident because every accident is a completely different story.

Thanks to the OP for sharing her story.

In my case the results are not conclusive and they let us go  but if people get uptight or nasty they do not have to let you go until they get the results. 

They are suposed to get the results today and I have to call the attorney to see what the news is and I expect to be called into the MP next week again ..

Meanwhile I have to find out why I was told it would take 20 days to get my car out..

Important we could have worked the whole thing out if no one had been injured and everyone had insurrance..

Were your insurance adjusters on the spot rapidly? I know they have to come out from Guad. The 100% of us who are reading this forum and who have adequate insurance (ha) would like to know. As a cautious driver, I have only had one accident in my 10 years here, but that was in Guad and involved a lot of personal effort to sort out, and we were without our car for several weeks. (Not to mention that we got a silver-painted used car part that was supposed to be new!) Drive carefully, folks! It is NOT fun to be in an accident. To those of you who pass me on the topes in traffic and then try to cut in front of me so I have to slow down to let you in, special note! ("Special note" means what you think it means!)

BTW, I owe you wonderful people, and I am available with car (okay, it is only a Honda Fit, but...) so if you want a ride to pick up food, cash and booze (sorry, the order should be booze, cash and food), PM me!

This is obviously a very serious subject and especially of interest to those who drive. I emailed our insurance agent Jesús Tejeda whom many of you also have insurance with. I questioned him to make sure we have a fiscal bond on our car. This is his email response..

"

There is legal defense on both of your auto Insurance that includes bond to secure your release until the investigations is completed. This is what happened in this accident. The Ministerio Publico was waiting for the official results and no insurance company can issue a bond until the MP have the results.

It’s important to mention this again, there is no insurance company in Mexico that can issue a bond until the MP have the result of the investigation.

Obviously when there is an accident and everybody involved has insurance it’s easier for the Lawyer or Adjuster to fix the problem at the accident site instead of Ministerio Publico (“jail”).

At the end of the day it’s not easy to determinate if there is going to be this kind of problems during an accident because every accident is a completely difference story. I know that the law in Mexico it is not at all comforting as I don't have much faith in MP but things are what they are."

Jesús Tejeda Mejorada

Insurance Broker

o. +52 33 35631300

jtejeda17@hotmail.com

Archived