Chapala.com Webboard

Having Trouble Keeping our gas logs lit-who to call?

sm1mex

While it was cold recently we lit our gas log pilot light and then lit the flame.  After about 10-15 minutes, the flame went out.  Lit the pilot light again, same thing happened, flame went out.  Lit the pilot light for the third time an did not light the flame, and 10-15 minutes the pilot light went out.  We have 80% gas in our tank.  Who should be call to possibly blow out the gas line.  Perhaps it is partially clogged with something.  We have never had this problem in the past.

Also check your "regulator" connected to your main propane tank.  If old, water can get in it and cause it to not function properly, like low pressure.  Last week we called a repairman for our oven because we had low flames on the cooktop and the oven never came up to proper temperature. He looked at it and asked where our gas tank was located. Came in 5 minutes later with our old regulator and had installed a new regulator.  The stovetop flames are now large and the oven works like new.

Thanks.  We got the logs from Strom White.  They are ventless and we have plenty of oxygen level as our windows are surely not air tight !  I think our gas tank regulator is fine as we have gas hot water heater and gas stove and we have plenty of flame on them and they do not go out so it must be with the thermocoupler.  I can see the little pipe sticking out but it is under the logs and hard to get to so I'll let someone sand it or whatever who knows what they are doing. 

They go bad internally or sometimes get a tiny pinhole in them.  If the pilot flame is OK, not too small or sputtering but the pilot doesn't stay lit this part is usually the problem.  They have them at casa de plomero up at the top of the hill on the way out of town.  Jarra may have one as well.

Try cleaning it first, make sure it is in the flame, light the pilot and see if it stays lit.

The pilot light is strong and the flame is strong for about 10 minutes, then everything goes out.  Re-light it again and everything strong for about 10 minutes, then it goes out.  Some responders indicated it could very well be air in the line and to try to light it several times to get the air out of the line  that may have seeped in over the last several months.

I think at this point you probably want to call a plumber.  You could have moisture in the line.  Air in the line is unlikely as it will mix with the gas and simply dilute it so probably that is not the problem.  

Pilot thermocouple problems can manifest themselves as you describe.  What the pilot thermocouple does is output a voltage that tells the gas valve to stay open.  If that voltage fluctuates or is very weak and borderline, it can cause what you are seeing.

Sometimes a corroded connection where the thermocouple fastens at the gas valve can cause this.  Check tightness there.

Just now, Mainecoons said:

I think at this point you probably want to call a plumber.  You could have moisture in the line.  Air in the line is unlikely as it will mix with the gas and simply dilute it.  Pilot thermocouple problems can manifest themselves as you describe.  What the pilot thermocouple does is output a voltage that tells the gas valve to stay open.  If that voltage fluctuates or is very weak, it can cause what you are seeing.

Sometimes a corroded connection where the thermocouple fastens at the gas valve can cause this.  Check tightness there.

I think some units also have a sensor for Oxygen in addition to the thermocouple as safety devices.  Does anybody know for sure???

If the pilot light is strong when it is lit, then I  would suspect the thermocouple. They are cheap and replacing it will tell if there is a problem somewhere else. I had a cottage resort in Ontario for some years with about 140 pilot lights. I soon learned to keep a thermocoulpe on hand. Didn't like paying about 150-200 dollars for a service call to change a 5.00 dollar item. It was about a 60 mile round trip for the truck and 2 guys from the propane company. Workmen's compensation rule. Must be 2 guys on a service call in case one gets injured.

Keeping the pilot light on all year saves a lot of problems with thermocouples. Not being used that is the problem. Starting them up from cold is when they break down.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived