Chapala.com Webboard

Review emergency room at Segura Popular

Fred Habacht

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:44 AM, CHILLIN said:

. Scheduled surgeries, invasive procedures, etc. are only offered to Seguro Popular members - as far as I know.

There are 3 posts above in this thread that seem to contradict your statement.  They seem to say that all are treated at the Joco hospital regardless of SG membership.  Again,clarity about treatment at the Joco hospital eludes us, specifically, who is treated (are all treated in all cases even if they do not possess an SG membership?) and what is treated.  Other posts have said invasive procedures (serious surgeries in the case of heart attacks, etc.)  are not treated there but are sent on to other SG hospitals.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Fred, you don`t have to shout.  I`m just trying to thread through all of the conflicting information about this. The discussion on SG hospitals started a while ago with people saying only people with a membership in SG could be treated in SG hospitals.  Then the Joco hospital was brought into the discussion. People then tried to figure out if this hospital was SG or some other permutation of hospital although it  has an SG sign on it and according to the Guad Reporter was built by SG.  An article in the Guad Reporter said this hospital was SG and could only be used by those with membership in SG.  Some on this board have echoed that. Several people including you have now, recently, reported on this board that the Joco hospital has treated people who do not have a membership.  It still is all hearsay. Until I hear from someone who is an official at the hospital it is very difficult to believe this hospital operates differently from all other SG hospitals. As someone without a memership in SG, I certainly wouldn`t risk going there with a serious problem needing immediate treatment if I wasn`t sure I would be treated. You say "yes", others say "no".  I`m still trying to get verified information. 

For a surgery or medical procedure, covered by Seguro Popular, you need to be issued a SEMA number, this is like a billing number which goes into your folio, wherever you are registered. It is meant as an oversight. Every procedure needs a new SEMA number. The SEMAs are also based on triage. There are lots of private hospital "deals" out there, I doubt that Seguro Popular is one of them, except for emergencies, good samaritan coverage. That someone, a rich someone, could butt into the lineup, and push back someone waiting for their turn, is against the whole principle of Seguro Popular, and would anger a great many Mexicans, including some very rich, entitled ones. To expect to live in Mexico on an expired tourist visa and receive free surgical care is ridiculous. To receive good samaritan care, in case of an emergency is so very Mexican, and makes me so glad we landed on the right side of the wall, sorry now fence, in some areas, maybe.

Archived