Chapala.com Webboard

Review emergency room at Segura Popular

Fred Habacht

43 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

Yes...it is open to all residents BUT you will be charged if you are not a member of Seguro popular or IMSS or have private insurance. They will issue a FACTURA so you can submit your payment to your insurance company. The charges that are posted are extremely fair.

Fred Habacht

That isn't clear to me. If you have IMSS does that mean you will be admitted but will be charged or won't be charged?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/14/2016 at 9:50 PM, hopeful Mex said:

That's great. Three questions: What are the annual fees for Seguro Popular for a 61yr. old male 2) Do they disqualify you for preexisting conditions such as high blood pressure like IMSS does? 3) Are their doctors bilingual? Thanks.

Here are some answers. Seguro Popular just expanded the list of medical conditions they cover to over 600.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/health-care.html

All hospitals in Mexico must treat and stabilize a patient. At Seguro Popular they will provide he necessary care. Often tourists will go to SP for treatment and as noted extremely inexpensive.

11 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

Yes...it is open to all residents BUT you will be charged if you are not a member of Seguro popular or IMSS or have private insurance. They will issue a FACTURA so you can submit your payment to your insurance company. The charges that are posted are extremely fair.

11 hours ago, wanderer said:

yes you can use seguro popular even if not a member. i was there last sunday and asked these questions, very cheap. room is 350 pesos per night, emergency room, 75 pesos, x-ray 110 to 550 depending. ambulance to gdl 1100 pesos. 24 hour.

This is interesting.  Some on this board have sworn up and down that the SG hospitals will not service you if you have not signed up to Seguro Popular (which necessitates proof of residency).  A new ripple in this story.  If only one truth could emerge that answers all questions. Oh, sorry, didn`t mean to veer into religion!  But, actually, the Seguro Popular story is starting to entail at least a lot of myth and legend!

9 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

This is interesting.  Some on this board have sworn up and down that the SG hospitals will not service you if you have not signed up to Seguro Popular (which necessitates proof of residency).  A new ripple in this story.  If only one truth could emerge that answers all questions. Oh, sorry, didn`t mean to veer into religion!  But, actually, the Seguro Popular story is starting to entail at least a lot of myth and legend!

Not true.  SP will give you service regardless of membership or not only that you have to pay a meager amount out of pocket.  This is from my own and wife's personal experience.

Thank you, Pedro, many have now said this on this thread and others as well. However, contradictorily (made up a new word, I think) , others on other threads have said the opposite.

11 hours ago, bdmowers said:

So true.

The hospital in Jocotepec is a community hospital, as well as Seguro Popular. Don't ask why this is different, I don't know enough Spanish to get an answer. All SP hospitals treat emergencies whether you are a member or not - you are assessed in the emergency intake based upon a triage system. If a schoolbus full of kids went over a cliff before you arrived - you may be waiting a long time for treatment. Scheduled surgeries, invasive procedures, etc. are only offered to Seguro Popular members - as far as I know.

If you are signed up with Seguro Popular and need emergency treatment, and you live in Ajijic, would the red cross take you to the hospital in Jocotopec? or to Guadalajara? If you don't have an interpreter with you, can you get one (if you pay) at the hospital? Can you pay with a credit card?    Thanks!

19 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

I saw no signs for a credit card. If an english speaker is available...they will call for that person to help you...they do not charge for that purpose. I do not know if the Red Cross would take you to Jocotepec.

Fred Habacht

i have read on here before that cruz roja either wont take you there or the joco hospital wont accept you if arriving in ambulance. is this true ?

if so what happens if you are alone , middle of the night have fall or heart attack and cant drive , what is the procedure ? assuming taxi wont answer calls at 2am ?

I have been told that even if you arrive in a wheelbarrow...they will assist anyone. They are open 24/7 and do not close on any holiday. This service, and it is a service, is there to help the residents of Mexico. Joining this program removes any charges that may be asked of non-members.

On Monday, yes a Mexican holiday, I have been invited to visit the home of the local manager of this area. If you ask questions...I will make a copy and ask for his responses.

I admit to being a fan of Mexico and I try to fight against the negativity expressed by some of you who are guests here....so, if you express any negative questions....someone else will have to get the answers for you.

Fred Habacht

33 minutes ago, barbara habacht said:

I have been told that even if you arrive in a wheelbarrow...they will assist anyone. They are open 24/7 and do not close on any holiday. This service, and it is a service, is there to help the residents of Mexico. Joining this program removes any charges that may be asked of non-members.

On Monday, yes a Mexican holiday, I have been invited to visit the home of the local manager of this area. If you ask questions...I will make a copy and ask for his responses.

I admit to being a fan of Mexico and I try to fight against the negativity expressed by some of you who are guests here....so, if you express any negative questions....someone else will have to get the answers for you.

Fred Habacht

if you could clear this point i would be grateful. fortunately i havent had to use this service yet but am a member of sp. i have three times had to go to sp hospital in tamaulipas and every time service and courtesy was excellent.

You should carry a laminated copy of your contract, that clearly shows whether it is current on not. They probably CANNOT look you up via your name. They need your contract number at the very least. Not having that will not affect whether or not they will treat you but merely whether you have to pay fees or not.

I have received change of bandages daily now, as suggested, without cost, but I have had to show my contract each time. That has been necessary at their Pharmacia as well for the issuance of my any biotic any other drugs.

Fred Habacht

I now have the answers to three questions:

1. Can you arrive by Red Cross ambulance...YES, by any method is acceptable, there is also a helicopter pad behind the building. You just enter via the emergency doors.

2. Can you receive full services if not a member? Yes....open to all, but you will be charged a very reasonable fee if not a member. No credit cards are accepted.

3. The entry gates are guarded by security. You will asked to explain why you need to enter. Your license plate and sometimes your name will be written down. There is free parking in front and behind the building. Sometimes, when you exit thru the exit gates....the guard will check your license plate off the list but sometimes you just drive out.

Not  asked...if this hospital cannot fully treat you...they will offer to transfer you to Guadalajara after you are stabilized.

For some of you...by email request only, I will share my cell phone number...I can be called to offer assistance. 

Fred Habacht

8 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

I now have the answers to three questions:

1. Can you arrive by Red Cross ambulance...YES, by any method is acceptable, there is also a helicopter pad behind the building. You just enter via the emergency doors.

2. Can you receive full services if not a member? Yes....open to all, but you will be charged a very reasonable fee if not a member. No credit cards are accepted.

3. The entry gates are guarded by security. You will asked to explain why you need to enter. Your license plate and sometimes your name will be written down. There is free parking in front and behind the building. Sometimes, when you exit thru the exit gates....the guard will check your license plate off the list but sometimes you just drive out.

Not  asked...if this hospital cannot fully treat you...they will offer to transfer you to Guadalajara after you are stabilized.

For some of you...by email request only, I will share my cell phone number...I can be called to offer assistance. 

Fred Habacht

I wonder where they would transfer you to in Guadalajara.

Archived