Chapala.com Webboard

I have brought with me a small personal size safe for using to travel.   It is called Master Lock model 5900D

I set the combination before leaving, tried it several times and all good, and now it will not open using that combination!  It is very frustrating and the website will try to help me but if that doesn't work...can a locksmith here fix this?  Who would be recommended?    Thanks for any help....

51 minutes ago, poptarte_22@yahoo.com said:

I have brought with me a small personal size safe for using to travel.   It is called Master Lock model 5900D

I set the combination before leaving, tried it several times and all good, and now it will not open using that combination!  It is very frustrating and the website will try to help me but if that doesn't work...can a locksmith here fix this?  Who would be recommended?    Thanks for any help....

Try Cerrajeria Aragon, Morelos # 172 Chapala.    Phone 765-3252

If anyone can resolve your problem they can.

I went down one day to get an emission sticker and they couldn't get into their office.  Had a lock on it the size of a grapefruit.

An old guy from the metal shop next door showed up with a 2 pound sledge hammer and a short crowbar.  About 3 strokes later, lock parts went everywhere.

I'm pretty sure he can open it, probably won't ever close again.  Next door to the emission place in Chapala

I am in Ajijic....but this thing is brand new and I want to use it...so smashing it off is  not an option.  I guess I will wait for the company to reply to me.....I have a file # so maybe they will.  If not it will be returned when I get back to NOB      Thnx for suggestions..............

Do be aware that if this "safe" is portable it will disappear so don't put anything important in it.  Do NOT put your immigration papers, passports, credit cards, deed to the house, factur for vehicles, etc...  in there because those papers are really hard and time consuming to replace. 

Here is the rationale - thieves don't really want your papers they want money things so if they can see your papers they will just toss them aside and move on.  Your US passports are valuable so put them in a baggy and tuck them away somewhere - in a book, between holiday decorations etc...

Thnx for the tips...who is the Jocotepec locksmith?  Give me a name and location please.   I know that thieves only want money or valuables, I am perfectly aware of that issue...I only want to open this safe NOW ...but this is small enuf to lock around a pipe or something fixed in a hotel room for instance...and it has a combination..it is on Amazon.com    

It is fireproof, waterproof and combination locked.  I have the combination...just cannot make it now open the safe!!

In Jocotepec there is a branch of the Chapala company Aragon on the south side of Vincente Guerrero at #122 A. This is 2 or 3 blocks east of Hidalgo.

Ok thanks all.....will try the lock pick site...then try the Joco place.  The manufacturer has emailed me with a number to reference if contacting them but I cannot call an 800# from here free.    I may have to take it back north and return it.  I also have my friend in NY state who bought it for me contacting the company for help.   I am determined to figure this out!!

Take a deep breath. You're in Mexico. Many things are not as quick and easy as they are NOB. Patience is needed. Sr Alvarez is the best locksmith in the area. If he can't do something, he will tell you and maybe suggest a workaround. He is located in Chapala.

Instead of 1-800, you dial 001-880-and the number. There is a charge, but it is not exorbitant. Still cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Thank you all again for your help.   The Master Lock company never did respond though they gave me a file # for help!!  Very lousy customer service I'd say..........  But then that's NOB...what can I expect.

Regardless....today I had success at Aragon in Chapala....within about 15 minutes and for $100p he had my safety box opened!  And then re-set a combination code for me!  I was very happy.....

I have faith in Mexicans...they can nearly always figure out or fix things.  I have a seamstress, jeweller and leather maker here who fix my stuff brought from up north!                    Viva Mexico............

PS   Mnt Mama...I have learned great patience here in Mexico...and am happy to be here with all the quirks it has.......any impatience I had was with the original company from whom I bought the safety box..and they are NOB!!!     I took a deep breath and resolved my issue quickly here in Mexico!!

Archived