Chapala.com Webboard

The weather

Yarboro

27 minutes ago, Yarboro said:

Have you noticed how after weeks of glorious sunshine and warmth the weather has been getting progressively colder and wetter ever since a certain person was elected President of the United States?  Just a coincidence, you say?  I think not.

Man, he sure is a powerful guy.  Changing the weather in Mexico before he even takes office.

Worse, he put this tropical depression together and sicced it on us before he was even elected.

Today unfortunately is going to be very wet again but at least the thing is finally coming on shore and moving north.

You should be able to get to the Feria around mid day.  Rain may be heavy this morning.

If one wants the best weather consider Cuernavaca, City of Eternal Spring.

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

Seattle's October was the wettest on record, or so I read.

I lived in Seattle 60 years for whatever that is worth.

Yes Seattle had more than 10 inches of rain, the most ever in October, and then on about the 29th of the month, they had a sunny day and it was the hottest ever recorded in October in Seattle. They have been having weird weather up there.

4 hours ago, Sonia said:

If one wants the best weather consider Cuernavaca, City of Eternal Spring.

Sorry Sonia, not much difference

Forecast for Monday

Cuernavaca high 26 (80) low 16 (61) partly cloudy

Chapala       high 22 (72) low 14 ( 57) mostly cloudy

Forecast for Tuesday

Cuernavaca high 25 (79) low 16 (61) chance of rain

Chapala       high 23 (73) low 14 (58) sunny

35 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry Sonia, not much difference

Forecast for Monday

Cuernavaca high 26 (80) low 16 (61) partly cloudy

Chapala       high 22 (72) low 14 ( 57) mostly cloudy

Forecast for Tuesday

Cuernavaca high 25 (79) low 16 (61) chance of rain

Chapala       high 23 (73) low 14 (58) sunny

Always warmer than Chapala including today as right now 24 vs 17. Geesh to most people 72 vs 80 is quite different. Homes in Cuernavaca rarely ever have heat but certainly people wanr heat on the cool days in Chapala. I have lived in Ajijic and visit regularly. And we travel to Cuernavaca several times a year. Comparing two days is not reflective that Cuernavaca is known for its' weather and warmer than Ajijic. You will never get nights down to 8 to 9C in central Cuernavaca nor day time highs as cool as the coldest days in Ajijic.

https://www.wunderground.com/mx/ms/cuernavaca/zmw:00000.1.76726

Guest bennie2

yarboro, stop trolling & learn about the local weather. november is very chiily & it stays that way thru jan. its this month people take out their heaters. there are also sunny days. rain is typical here from sept thru december. sometimes light showers & some cooling in feb. other years feb is warmer. check the history. dont believe media rumors. :ph34r:btw, the force who is responsible for weather is bennie2. i heard he likes it cloudy. :mellow:

Seriously now, I have been living down here for the last 5 months and I have never experienced so many completely overcast days strung together (3).  Also, in that 5 months, I can only recall 1 day when it rained and drizzled nearly all day.

I see on the "Lake Chapala Mexico Weather" page the average rainfall for November is .30" and we've now have 1.38" so far this month which is more than 350% over average!  I assume, then, this is not typical "dry season" November weather.  In fact the entire year has been a wetter than average year...

It depends where you live. Where I live in San Juan Cosala the rainfall has been just a little bit above average this year. The cold season has started. Time for the flannelette sheets.

I wonder why it's not an option to buy or build homes that are properly insulated here. I have asked multiple builders about double glazed windows and it was a foreign concept to them here. 

One local architect laughed at me when I mentioned proper insulation as an important feature for my new house. 

Guest bennie2

cincy, july & august not much overcast. you are now here during the deep chill cloudy nov & dec. 5 months of your time was in the milder sunnier weather. winters here can be cold especially @ night. there is almost frost on the windows. crazydog, traditionally older mexican homes have working fireplaces. these new constructions are often built for expats or summer weekend people. they are poorly done. sometimes a gas fireplace, which is a far cry from wood. this is the same weather they have now in the northeast. the difference is people arent walking around half naked & complaining its cold. they have central heating, we use space heaters. 

39 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

One might use double glazing to control noise...

That's a very good idea.

And, re the junky weather currently. I'm FREEZING and soggy/wet. It has inspired me to get out the little space heater for the bedroom. Only takes ten minutes, then it's all toasty. :D

Guest bennie2

i have a heaters in the smaller rooms. open space areas are off limits in the cold. the oven heats kitchen. 2 down quilts, & its fine. good mex hotels have fireplaces in the rooms, dining room/lobby has wood fireplaces. ajijic is kind of a rough it & be grateful kind of a place. heat your home.

If seeking a source of heat that is easy to install, uses propane vs electricity, heats hundreds of square feet, uses outdoor air intake and exhausts outdoors (no oxygen depletion and no carbon monoxide danger), consider a Rinnai wall furnace. My husband installed ours and it is excellent. They are not sold in Mexico but we have an American supplier and a method to get it to SMA and Chapala. For us a great investment and does not requite cost of solar electricity as is common with heat pumps.

The fan and flame are variable as room temperature gets closer to set temperature.They come in 3 sizes starting at 8000 BTU's and are 82% efficient. Next size is 22000 BTU's and biggest about 33,000. Ours is 22,000. Rinnai has an excellent name and made in Japan.

Archived