Chapala.com Webboard

Braised Pork Shank

Halfglass

Well ever since the El Sarape restaurant closed I have been looking for a great braised pork shank.

I have to say I really loved the shanks at El Sarape, slow cooked and served with a delicious red sauce. Oh and lots of tortillas.

Any suggestions?

On Friday, my husband and a friend both had Chamorro at El Fogon de Charlotte restaurant which is located beside El Tio Sam's on the Libramiento.   The Chamorro came with either rice and tortillas or rice and beans.   We ended up with two more dinners at home.    I'd highly recommend it.

On 11/19/2016 at 3:17 PM, ned small said:

Tony's butcher shop sells smoked pork shank which is easy enough to do in your oven. One will do for 2 people or if you're single,yummy leftovers for sandwiches.

Yes, but...a smoked pork hock (which is what Tony sells) bears no resemblance to chamorro, which is not smoked.  Use the smoked hock for making bean or lentil soup.

32 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Yes, but...a smoked pork hock (which is what Tony sells) bears no resemblance to chamorro, which is not smoked.  Use the smoked hock for making bean or lentil soup.

It's my way of preparing chamorro. I have only found one source for a proper hock complete with skin and fat. It's just not available here because there is more pesos to be made selling the skin for chicharones snack bags.I like to think outside the box on occasion,try it,you might like it. I have prepared French Canadian pea soap using ham left overs with dried split peas,yellow and green, which are also hard to find here.

7 minutes ago, ned small said:

It's my way of preparing chamorro. I have only found one source for a proper hock complete with skin and fat. It's just not available here because there is more pesos to be made selling the skin for chicharones snack bags.I like to think outside the box on occasion,try it,you might like it. I have prepared French Canadian pea soap using ham left overs with dried split peas,yellow and green, which are also hard to find here.

Dried split peas at Superlake in their store package section by deli.

3 hours ago, ned small said:

You're inventing a few things, Ned Small.  Chicharrón isn't made from the skin of any part of the pork leg.  It's made from skin of the sides of the animal.  
http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/06/everything-but-the-squeal-chicharrón-aka-fried-pork-skin.html

And here's the difference between chamorro (the foreleg) and smoked pork hocks (the 'ankle' part of the leg):
chamorro.jpg
Chamorro

charcutesspigy.JPG
Smoked pork hocks.

La Mision has been serving Chamorro on Friday and Saturday as one of the weekend specials, and every day it is sold out.

We have been asked by our guests to keep it every week and it will be one of the specials again this weekend.

We are so blessed with Chef Julian, and all our wonderful customers.

Look ,I learned to buy and then cook from my friend who was in the Swift's mgmt. training programme. 2 of his dept's were the hog kill and the pork cuts depts.

What you call pork shank is actually either the hock from the front leg or back leg,What Tony sells smoked and skinless is from the hind leg and what most of the restaurants sell here as chamorro is from the front "hock" I have also used lamb in this respect but just BBQ those.I got skin and fat on hocks from Smitty's wife once who has a farm fresh source on the south side and she said she maybe can also get a fat on picnic ham cut for me. here are a couple of pictures. The  pic that More Liana showed of smoked pork hocks are only the knuckle part  of that cut without the 2 partial longer bones. never have I seen or purchased just the knuckle. wouldn't be much meat there.pork-cuts-w-labels-726957.jpg

roasted-pork-shank-fresh-cabbage-salad-selective-focus-35695816.jpg

I'm glad you are following this More Liana. I always thought the chicharrones were a snack, until I tried to chew one. Then I began to realise that chicharrones were mainly used to flavor a pot of frijoles. Am I correct about this?

Computer Guy - just buy a small section of pork belly. Then there is a world wide range of instructions on how have the crunchy exterior, and the inside fat turned into gelatine and very flavourful pork. Roasted or braised pork belly.

More Liana - don't engage with Pedro. He has fading memories of a far away country, in a far away time - so therefore he can never be wrong! Especially to a woman.

No, that's pork belly. I've bought that a few times for dishes like crunchy Asian pork; it's really what gets made into bacon. Pork roast is usually shoulder or hind bits. It has a lot of meat.

Besides, there's no future in it...

25 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No, that's pork belly. I've bought that a few times for dishes like crunchy Asian pork; it's really what gets made into bacon. Pork roast is usually shoulder or hind bits. It has a lot of meat.

Besides, there's no future in it...

Go see Smitty's wife,ComputerGuy. and Chillin there are 2 different types of chicharrones and pedro and I ,ned small, know this because we have Mexican friends.Pork belly indeed!

Chicharron-harina-3oz.jpg

7 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I'm glad you are following this More Liana. I always thought the chicharrones were a snack, until I tried to chew one. Then I began to realise that chicharrones were mainly used to flavor a pot of frijoles. Am I correct about this?

Computer Guy - just buy a small section of pork belly. Then there is a world wide range of instructions on how have the crunchy exterior, and the inside fat turned into gelatine and very flavourful pork. Roasted or braised pork belly.

More Liana - don't engage with Pedro. He has fading memories of a far away country, in a far away time - so therefore he can never be wrong! Especially to a woman.

Chillin, chicharrones can be a snack when crunched on fresh out of the cazo (the huge kettle they're cooked in), an appetizer when served with guacamole, a meal (when served in salsa verde), they can be broken up like crackers into a bowl of pozole, and in Mexico are used to flavor frijoles charros--cowboy-style beans.  

Mexican chicharrones are NOT pork belly. They are pork skin, occasionally with some meat left attached.  Most of the photos of chicharrones that one sees on Google are from Colombia, not Mexico, and are very different from what we see here.  In the link I posted upthread, you see a lot of pictures of pig skins being fried in cazos of lard.  Those are all Mexican-style chicharrones; I took the photos myself, in Morelia, Michoacán.

Pig skin is, believe it or not, pure protein.  Almost no fat remains in or on chicharrones when they are properly prepared.  They are ideal to eat as a snack when one is following the Atkins diet or the South Beach diet, or when one simply wants to snack on something that has no carbohydrates and very little fat. 180 calories to the ounce...
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/homemade-chicharrones-deep-fried-skin-w-meat-pork-fat-373806940?v2=false

Go to any butcher shop is and watch the guys make carnitas and chicharrones on weekend mornings.Chicharrón.jpg

23 hours ago, ned small said:

I have only found one source for a proper hock complete with skin and fat. It's just not available here because there is more pesos to be made selling the skin for chicharones snack bags.

Apparently you forgot this post More Liana. The vast majority of pork "SKIN" is commercially prepared and is probably more popular than potato chips in a bag.You can even find massive displays of noname brand at Walmart and the vast majority are packaged here in Mexico not Columbia.  The other main use is for equipales furniture and yes the directly underskin fat is rendered into lard for cooking purposes

Chicharron-harina-3oz.jpg

equipales-juego-completo-D_NQ_NP_423001-MLM20257932452_032015-F.jpg

Archived