Chapala.com Webboard

EdoMex Plates

Sonia

This is based on a conversation today which included this woman and a friend of mine. A 74 year old lady from San Miguel who had EdoMex plates had her car confiscated by police in Nuevo Laredo last April. She was in jail for 16 hours. Her trial starts next week in San Miguel. I understand they tracked the cars the same person "nationalized", upwards to 4000. In San Miguel approx. 50 people are in same situation. The person who was doing this may be from PV.
At this time no other details but I had reported this problem whereby people from SMA were caught near the border with EdoMex plates.
Be aware.

Sonia

7 hours ago, tomgates said:

I am seeing more and more cars Lakeside with these plates. 

Often same ones who complain about corruption in Mexico love to partake. 

On 11/10/2016 at 3:45 PM, Sonia said:
This is based on a conversation today which included this woman and a friend of mine. A 74 year old lady from San Miguel who had EdoMex plates had her car confiscated by police in Nuevo Laredo last April. She was in jail for 16 hours. Her trial starts next week in San Miguel. I understand they tracked the cars the same person "nationalized", upwards to 4000. In San Miguel approx. 50 people are in same situation. The person who was doing this may be from PV.
At this time no other details but I had reported this problem whereby people from SMA were caught near the border with EdoMex plates.
Be aware.

Sonia

What are EdoMex plates? Have a few neighbors who have strange plates that seem to think their vehicles are nationalized. They said that they just can't sell their vehicles here in Mexico. Seems kind of "off" to me.

21 hours ago, Joyfull said:

What are EdoMex plates? Have a few neighbors who have strange plates that seem to think their vehicles are nationalized. They said that they just can't sell their vehicles here in Mexico. Seems kind of "off" to me.

Plates that come from the state surrounding Mexico City officially called Estado de Mexico. Only a former foreign plated vehicle with a pedimento from Aduana and a factura from a broker are nationalized. Any vehicle once nationalized needs to have a stolen report, physical inspection by Rentas which is the state office that registers vehicles and issues plates. Any vehicle that has bypassed these steps is illegal.

Slowly the law is catching up and cars are being confiscated. 

If one is in doubt go to Aduana at the airport with a vehicle with EdoMex plates. 

Or ask Spencer.

On 11/12/2016 at 7:54 AM, tomgates said:

I am seeing more and more cars Lakeside with these plates. 

That is because many have been consulting with lawyers very familiar with, and actually licensed to interpret this area of law. How could Aduana possibly cope with what I anticipate will be a flood of reliable used vehicles plated from the U.S., driven by Mexicans and Mexican Americans?

What is corrupt is making a deal with someone (as in welcome to our country, we don't care where your vehicle is from, as long as you keep renewing your FM visa) and then 3 years later completely changing that agreement. No business or courts would accept this in most parts of the world. Some might even be tempted to call it fraud.

I don't know anything about edomx plates. I do know that in CDMX they don't seem to be too worried about pedimentos or facturas -they just want your money and to renew every three years.

Can I be stopped for having out of state plates?

Absolutely not, this is considered a serious form of discrimination.

What documents must I carry, and can be legally asked for?

They may check to see that your plates and gummy sticker match. They can ask for your circula hologram card, and that card matches the plates. They can ask for your driver's license, which must be current. They can ask for your insurance papers which must be current and at least have liability insurance. I guess if they have the technology, they can check the CDMX database to see if this vehicle is registered. If it has been done correctly - it will be in there.

What documents are they NOT allowed to ask for?

Pedimento, factura, Immigration status. You just say that my lawyer has all my important documents - if you want to make an appointment, I can arrange it. The police actually advise not to keep pedimentos and factura in your vehicle - not even copies. If ever want to sell that vehicle,  you will have a difficult time without pedimento and factura. Likewise if you are expecting to be insured if your vehicle is jacked or stolen.

If you are the type of person who wets their pants every time they are around police, or expect Aduana to start driving around in patrol cars - maybe this route is not for you. If you are driving a newer vehicle that is popular for expensive parts, you are going to lose the car whether it is crooked cops or bad guys -then maybe this route is not for you.

I am an attorney and am warning you all to stear clear of State of Mexico plates as many people get them by cutting corners if not actual fraud.  There are federal checkpoints and if they nab you there you go to jail.  Will your importer or attorney bail you out?  Avoid problems, stay away. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you Spencer.....once again you have clarified an issue and hopefully people that I know of who are doing or about to do this will take steps to stop and do it the legal way!!  

We bought our vehicle here, had it nationalized and all proper paper work, insurance and legalities completed...yet feel upset that others think they have a way around it. You are right...they need to be very careful and respect the laws and regulations of the country they have CHOSEN to be and drive in!!

'It is easier to love Mexico...(and comply)...than it is to understand it'       My favorite quote!!

So, here's the situation a 70-something friend is in. She's a permanent resident and, against my advice and that of others, she bought a car from her friend who had already returned to the US and got Estado de Mexico plates put on it. Her friend wanted the US plates back so she sent them to her. She has found out that her car is illegal and has stopped driving it. She now wants to return to the US herself and wants to take the car with her. The car was never registered in her name and she doesn't have the US plates so she can't get a Retorno Seguro. If she drives the car up she faces the possibility of seizure of the car and jail time - as per Sonia's original post, there's no leniency for the elderly in this situation.

As you can imagine, she is terribly stressed and anxious about his situation. If she had listened to our advice in the first place she wouldn't be in this mess, but I still feel for her and would like to help her if I can. Is there any way she can safely get her car out of Mexico? I'm thinking the only way is to have it shipped out. Does anyone have information on that?

Thanks in advance.

If she has the title, signed over to her, she could register the car in South Dakota, in the Clay County Treasurers Office. It can all be done by phone and mail, if she has a US social security number and a US mailing address; perhaps through one of the local mailing services. When the plates arrive, she could drive it out but would still risk a problem if stopped, but that is rare if all else is in order. It might be worth the risk, as we drove out with no stops by anyone along the way to Nogales on Rt. 15D.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

If she has the title, signed over to her, she could register the car in South Dakota, in the Clay County Treasurers Office. It can all be done by phone and mail, if she has a US social security number and a US mailing address; perhaps through one of the local mailing services. When the plates arrive, she could drive it out but would still risk a problem if stopped, but that is rare if all else is in order. It might be worth the risk, as we drove out with no stops by anyone along the way to Nogales on Rt. 15D.

This sounds like another option but, like you said, if she gets stopped as a permanent resident driving a foreign-plated car she could have trouble anyway. Unless she had someone drive it for her. Can Mexicans legally drive foreign-plated cars?

38 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

This sounds like another option but, like you said, if she gets stopped as a permanent resident driving a foreign-plated car she could have trouble anyway. Unless she had someone drive it for her. Can Mexicans legally drive foreign-plated cars?

Also, she'd have a problem with the TIP.

Are temporary residents still allowed to drive foreign-plated cars?

Temporary residents can still drive foreign plated cars, but Mexicans can't.

If I were her, I would definitely go with the South Dakota plates, as RVGringo suggested.  I got SD title and plates for my car while here in Mexico (sent to a Texas handymail address) and the SD folks are fast and efficient in their processing of applications. She could then just drive it north herself with only a small risk of problems.  (Anyone stopping her for traffic violations won't ask for immigration papers, just drivers license.) If she is really worried, she could get someone with a RT to drive with her.

I don't see a TIP problem.  She should stop and get the decal scraped off so her friend won't have problems in the future, but other than that the TIP doesn't affect her.

Just borrow a set of Jalisco plates, put them on the car and drive it directly out of Mexico.  There is a very low probability of ever being stopped and questioned.  If you get in an accident - abandon the car and run and hide.

IMO, this lady is already in deep do-do and the things being suggested aren't going to make it any better. She is Permanente, illegally driving a foreign plated car with expired TIP that is in Mexico illegally and now also has illegal Estado de Mexico plates obtained by fraudulent means. About the only thing worse she can do at this point is rob a bank and then drive the car out! Some have suggested that the risk is low of being caught, but in my book although the risk may be low, the risk is VERY high that if she is caught she may very well loose the car and maybe even get fined. I would not do it 'just for a stupid car' (and I drive a lot of cars out of Mexico!).

To me, the only thing to do that is anywhere close to legal and can probably ensure the car and her getting out safely is to 1) check to see if the Banjercito website says the car is still registered as being "in" Mexico. If it is not,  then 2) get the SD registration/plates, and then 3) get a new TIP in her name online (I'm pretty sure that Spencer can facilitate #2 and #3 for her). Finally,  hire someone who is Temporal to, with a Carta Poder from Spencer, drive her and the car out.

If the car IS in the Banjercito database, then she can't get another TIP**. If that's the case then the only legal way to get it out is to get the SD plates and then have the car, and her, transported via flatbed to the border. There she should cancel the TIP and drive out/across in to the US. Last time I checked a couple of years ago it cost between $15-17,000 pesos for someone to do that.

**Note: Some are saying that they believe that a Passport change can insure that one can get another TIP. It would be worth a try to see if that could be done here.

You are assuming that the person with the car problem is a US citizen with a US address.  While that is probably true based on the discussion, the South Dakota plates idea is not a solution for a non-US citizen or a US citizen without a US address.

Why would the TIP factor in?   The current person with the car doesn't have the tip in her name.   Seems to me she can junk the car.   She's out the money she paid for it but thats the cost of trying to beat the system in the first place.   She's trying to have her cake and eat it too, imho.

10 hours ago, Ezzie said:

You are assuming that the person with the car problem is a US citizen with a US address.  While that is probably true based on the discussion, the South Dakota plates idea is not a solution for a non-US citizen or a US citizen without a US address.

" She now wants to return to the US herself and wants to take the car with her. "

This was enough for me to make 'an assumption'.   And, all she needs is a mail-forwarding address in the US..... nothing more. But of course you know this as you travel a lot and are 'travel wise'.

El Cartero:  "Why would the TIP factor in?"  Don't know who you are asking, but....  the old TIP is now expired so this makes the car illegal. Cancelling it at the border is probably moot, but easy to do and clear the former owner's record. A new TIP makes the car (for her driver) legal and cuts down any potential questions about why the car in route doesn't have an import permit.

Personally, it I were this lady I'd get Spencer involved. Might be the best $s she has spent in a long time. Just saying....

I believe the best option is simply to get advice from Spencer and Sonja, as they deal with things like this and know the ropes and the laws, etc. Taking advice from anyone else here is a "crap shoot" at best, AND the responses have been all over the place, even "scare tactics". I believe those 2 people can relieve her mind and provide a smooth path for her return to the US. I believe that there is a simple path for her to follow and not worry. Suerte.

41 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

She is Residente Permanente, so cannot get a new Importada Temporal.

Ah, yes, you are of course right!  How silly of me to overlook that in my Post. Back to square one.... or zero. 

Archived