Chapala.com Webboard

Can I continue to practice U.S. law while living in Mexico?

Tenant Attorney

Hi,

I'm new here. After yesterday's election I'm looking into my options to get out of the U.S. for the next 4 years.  I am an attorney licensed to practice in California. I am wondering if/how I could continue to practice California law remotely while residing in Mexico. I would maintain residency in California and renew my visitor Visa every 6 months/ as needed (assuming I could still get back into the U.S. once "the wall" is built :P)

I am NOT looking to practice Mexican law, as I have no qualifications to do so. I am thinking about a virtual practice that would consist primarily of drafting  and reviewing documents for California residents.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

CA attorney.

Guest bennie2

same person w/the donkey&cowboy hat who needs advice about his greiving mexican wife. that wall is causing expats so many problems, i need another box of tissues :(. maybe the attorney can help his wife while vacationing down here, he can do the immigration papers thru the internet. just a suggestion. goodluck

Best to ask the California State Bar about remote representation, issues and compliance and avoid the temptation to give advice locally as that would get you in hot water with local attorneys as well as officials.

Spencer

A Mexican licensed attorney

7 hours ago, tomgates said:

If you are really an attorney, you should already know the answer to your question.

If you know anything about being an attorney, then you know most of us don't know every aspect/area of the law. I don't practice international or immigration law, therefore I would not be expected to have the answer.

Thanks to Intercasa- calling the CALBAR was going to be my next step in the process. Figured I might find a person or two that was already doing that about which I am asking, which make it easier to look into the details. I did look into the matter, but mostly found info on foreign attorneys practicing in the U.S. and/or U.S. attorneys working for int'l companies in other countries, neither which applies.

Thanks for the helpful answers. I will find out what CALBAR has to say on the matter. I suspect at the very least I could do contract work for colleagues as they'd be happy to pay someone below current bay area rates.

Thanks,

CA

6 hours ago, bennie2 said:

same person w/the donkey&cowboy hat who needs advice about his greiving mexican wife. that wall is causing expats so many problems, i need another box of tissues :(. maybe the attorney can help his wife while vacationing down here, he can do the immigration papers thru the internet. just a suggestion. goodluck

Why is there always one like you on these sites, did you take Pedro's spot?

55 minutes ago, pedroshalfbrother said:

Why is there always one like you on these sites, did you take Pedro's spot?

interesting that you know so much about Pedro and you have only made 3 posts. Very Interesting. Looks like bennie2 is "right on" !

Guest bennie2

cant fool bennie, we know a troll when we see one. hes playing around w/people who fall for scam calls. people who answer the door for strangers. his characterure of a mexican is offensive but let that go. the wife, funeral, the sick baby, the bad crops, he works the internet on the side, & that big scary wall. he's also pedros 1/2 brother. sonia & spencer got to do another plug. winwin.

7 hours ago, Tenant Attorney said:

I'm confused. Is this an ongoing insider's thread?

I'm assuming it has nothing to do with my original question?

Yup.

you could probably do a good business getting apostillas from the states as it is a pain for the ordinary person to go through the hoops.But you're really asking about working online which many people down here do, translations, scriptwriting, investments, classes, travel, would like to hear some of them ring in on the ability to do business here. how good are the internet connections, what are your tax requirements, do you need any permissions...

7 hours ago, Tenant Attorney said:

I'm confused. Is this an ongoing insider's thread?

I'm assuming it has nothing to do with my original question?

The reason for your confusion is that the nit pickers are back to their nitpicking and have gone off topic, as usual. You're lucky. You actually got an answer to your question before the bickering started, many do not.

Archived