Chapala.com Webboard

Recording Studio

soundpam

Hi. I'm a recording engineer (35 yrs, gold & platinum albums, major motion pictures, ABC & HBO specials, Dallas Cowboys & Mavericks stadium & music, etc), live sound engineer, have taught audio recording, live sound, & midi sequencing at a Dallas college for the last 14 years, & have a really nice Professional Level ProTools setup, good mics, etc.... I had a stroke 2+ yrs ago, lost a good portion of my vision, am now (at age 58) on disability retirement & have decided to move to Lake Chapala (a long held dream) this spring. I'm wanting to connect with recording studios, engineers, & musicians (my peeps) & was wondering if there were any on this message board or if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

There aren`t any studios beyond the nice-mike-connected-to-a-program-on-a-computer type here I know of other than the one Harry noted above (and this little comment will probably flush out any "real" studios that ARE here) but there are dozens in Guadalajara. Just google for them and they`ll pop up.  Or ask Jorge Verdín <j.org@icloud.com>, a pro jazz keyboard player that lives in San Antonio. He knows about the Guad scene and speaks and writes English.  Galen is a local pro classical pianist (used to play jazz gigs at Number Four) whose partner Dale was the drum player for a local band called the Tall Boys.  They were kinda the kings of the rock scene before they stopped playing recently and recorded quite a bit (don`t know where).  Galen`s handle on this board is Music Doc.  They may be in the States now but could give you some leads.  Blue Velvet is another local jazz plus group who are pretty connected. They play at a cafe and gallery at Ocampo 71 quite a bit, or did. You might want to stop in at the Mediterranean restaurant on the plaza and talk with Robert. He knows Blue Velvet pretty well and is probably the premiere teacher of Indian raga music in Mexico. Blue Velvet`s music "guru" (forgot his name) was pretty connected with a recording scene, maybe in L.A (so he says), before moving here and is connected with whatever is here.

I`m looking to record a bit myself (Appalachian song) so please let me know when you arrive!

One more thing, you`ll want to post this on the main board, Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara. Very few of the audience you want views this board. If you can`t figure out how to move this topic (I sure don`t) just repost to that board.

• 4 years later...