Chapala.com Webboard

No reviews of Just Chillin Papa?

mhopkins2

The concept of 3 restaurants under 1 roof is not new but having only 1 interface (waitress) is not common.  We were there on day 2 and the concept has some bugs to work out.  Though our party of 3 ordered from the same restaurant, I was finished eating before the other 2 in my party were served.  That's understandable if ordering from more than 1 of the restaurants but still a little ackward at the table.  The room for diners is quite large and live music is on the menu.  If you have suggestions to better your experience, be sure to let 1 of the kids know.  They're interested in receiving feedback.  

Well, I hope that the correct information comes out once and for all.  One minute, they have two locations, but their own menu is only available at Baby, while Big Papa has menus from three restaurants.  Less than a week later, they say they're only going to have the large location (closing Baby Chillin'), using their original menu, getting rid of the other three menus.  Now, you say that Baby Chillin' is still open?

Total confusion!

Well, that was fast.  I wondered if they were being a little too optimistic.  For myself, I would just prefer the old Chillin' here previously in a larger location.  Friendly, casual, fun.  So I hope this all works out for them.

Can someone tell me exactly where they are now?  The only address I saw was 32 Constitution - thought that was the old Tom's Bar (Baby Chillin') location.  Thanks.

i went to papa chillin last friday at old toms bar location, the band was very loud and i got my food and got the hell out. ill never go back. i talked to one of the 2 girls and she told me baby chillin would be open this monday, today, and maybe i would like it better. i hope she is right.

Nearly right. ! but baby chilling isnt in toms old bar. but big chilling is.baby is where ole ola used to be but that closed. so it seems has baby chillling  possibly temporary or maybe permanantly ,which isnt in toms old place. now big chilling which is like old chilling , the original one in west ajijic, only bigger, is in toms place.the papa chilling which opened in toms old place in consitution last week is now closed but has re opened as just chilling in the same location. hope that clarifies things.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Have they perhaps returned to Cozumel?

No pappysmarket, they are going to have one restaurant with the old name (Just Chillin') and their old menu.  It is at the location of the former Tom's Bar on Constitution.  They're not going back to Cozumel.

We chose not to go in because of the music.  There are plenty of places to go "dancing".  When we go out with friends for a meal we are looking primarily for decent food and a good conversation.  We are not going out for dinner at 7pm looking for music for dancing.  Chillin' will not be on our or our friends lists because of the focus on music.

They are nice people and I wish them success but frankly we were underwhelmed with the food when we've been there twice now, different locations.  It was OK but there are better places to eat in this town.

Agree with Sola, the last thing we want with our meal is loud music.  We pick our restaurants based on food quality and value for money.  This is an incredibly great town for both, the more we travel in Mexico the more we realize just how unique that aspect of living here is. 

However, for those of you who want your meal with noise, I can guarantee you the food is a great deal better than a certain unnamed place very close to me that calls itself a restaurant but is really a dance and drinking hall.

Go to Just Chillin, you'll eat a lot better and the music is probably better too.

5Jacks that is a option but I don't want to eat dinner at 5 pm and then what do I do with the rest of the evening?

I think early on when places began staying open after 7 pm that the first successful places had music...the old Melanies at Danza del Sol for instance.  There were only a couple places staying open late, and late was 9.  And then the buying boom occurred and music became a component of what restaurants thought people wanted then EVERY place had to have music and innumerable bands were formed and re-formed etc... and fairly soon the bands wanting to play were driving the market for their services, not the restaurants or their clientele.

We do almost all of our evening meals at Tango or Pasta Trenta these days because although they have music it is very low, thus it is enhancing the environment.  In the case of Tango the music can be adjusted within feet of your table...the speakers are controlled and can be turned off.

The problem that I have with Tango is sure, you can lower the volume of the music, but you can't get away from the loud conversations at the tables, because they're jammed in so tight together now!  I like to have a little privacy sometimes without having a stranger at the next table listening in on everything either!

Archived