Chapala.com Webboard

Bullfight Anyone?

floridaze

I am looking for someone interested in going to the bullfights in Guadalajara this month and knows the way there. I could drive, but am a newbie with no Guadalajara driving expierence. I am NOT interested in your opinion of bullfighting. I neither condone nor oppose it. I would just like to expierence one live. Thanks.

43 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Im sorry i cant help you but i think its great you  want to experience the culture here  and hope you enjoy the atmosphere and day out.. i personally couldnt do it but i did once go to an american football game when on holiday in america.

LOL!  The young "bulls" in American football are killed much slower.  Traumatic brain injuries......

We drove by the Plaza de Toros once in Guad and it's also on my bucket list to experience.  Unfortunately I'm NOB at the moment.

3 hours ago, floridaze said:

I am looking for someone interested in going to the bullfights in Guadalajara this month and knows the way there. I could drive, but am a newbie with no Guadalajara driving expierence. I am NOT interested in your opinion of bullfighting. I neither condone nor oppose it. I would just like to expierence one live. Thanks.

The OP asked a question and specified his lack of interest in other posters' opinions about bull fighting. Those who absolutely can not resist telling everyone how they feel about bull fighting can get another thread going to rant about and debate the topic. If not one more foreigner ever attended a bull fight it would affect it not at all.

2 hours ago, ibbocat said:

Footballers getting brain injuries is part of the culture NOB.

Now that I can get on board with! Footballers don't involve innocent animals being stabbed to death like a living pin cushion. I don't really care if the OP requested non-judgement. I'm judging you, and on this particular thread, not another that no one will read, because the animals have no voice.

I am interested, my husband is not.  Send me a PM, he will drive me in and others in but visit friend in TElaquepque and will return at the end to extract us from the crowd.

Thank-you Soloajijic for the offer, sent you a pm. Nice point Xena! I guess if I introduce a topic that motivates people, it is good, and good for post priority. Something I have observed that keeps me impartial to a lot of arguments is. " The only person's opinion that is 100% right is their own" 

15 hours ago, floridaze said:

You are too new to drive in Guad without a navigator (an opinion you should listen to)..  I went in Spain a long time ago and while I am glad I went  it is a difficult situation to watch at least for me. Someone who wants to take him give him a PM to avoid the politics of this issue.  I will pass on this for a second experience.  Watching the people is quite an experience but so is going to a Chivas/Atlas soccer game.

Maybe save yourself some time, and gain some prior understanding, by reading James Michener's book "Mexico". This is not about "torturing" bulls, it is about something very deep, and a little bit dark, running throughout Latino culture. A poetry of life, death and redemption.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/769885.Mexico

http://www.csmonitor.com/1993/0204/04141.html

Chillin', I very recently read "Mexico." For the first time I really understood bullfighting. As you said, it comes from something deep and dark in the culture. There was one point in the book where I thought I might want to experience it. But, Michener's graphic (and nonjudgmental) descriptions of the fights cured me of that idea. 

17 hours ago, ficklepie said:

This is a disgusting part of the unique culture in one part of Mexico. How many of you would call this acceptable behavior, just because it happens here and is "culture"? This is OK, then, in your opinion? The culture argument only goes so far.

Ficklepie--I really, really wish you hadn't subjected me to this horrible film. Children batting animals to death for the fun of it while adults stand by and watch. . . . What was your point in showing this? We all know animals are subjected to torture in all kinds of horrific ways. I deplore bull fighting. There's been protest against it for decades. I understand that even though the OP asked for no judgment on the fact he wants to go to a bull fight; it's just hard for some of us not to comment. 

Guys who play professional football do it for the skill it takes, the glory it brings them and the big bucks. It's their choice. Animals who are tortured as a sport have no choice. I regret that anyone wants to see such a miserable "entertainment," but we should have let the OP get what he wants--a ride--without further comment. Like Xena said, the thread just keeps getting noticed.

Lexy

Archived