Chapala.com Webboard

Electrician Req'd to Dispute CFE Overcharge

mkshawn

We have rec'd an invoice which is 3x the largest bill we have ever paid $2,733 mxp. I approached CFE with a translator, end result they require an electrican's report on the inner works of our electrical system? At this point I asked who they would recommend: Sr Bernabe Lazcano 333.447.8103, retired from the CFE was offered. 4 days later we still have not made contact with him? So have any of you been in a similar situation? Do you have someone to recommend?

They have our money as the account is a Direct Withdrawal, All assistance is appreciated.

Perhaps Mcshawn could post the details of his most recent CFE bill, as well as the one before that, or the average of the last six bills; complete with KwH usage in each category and the charge, plus the subsidy, etc.....everything. Then, help might be available....or, at least, advice.

Been there! We had a meter that was more than a little.. uh....enthusiastic. Went to CFE with our outrageous bills and they were quite polite, helpful and responsive. Head guy speaks English. Everybody most polite.Understood problem, fixed problem. Recommend you go to CFE in Chapala.

10 hours ago, mkshawn said:

We have rec'd an invoice which is 3x the largest bill we have ever paid $2,733 mxp. I approached CFE with a translator, end result they require an electrican's report on the inner works of our electrical system? At this point I asked who they would recommend: Sr Bernabe Lazcano 333.447.8103, retired from the CFE was offered. 4 days later we still have not made contact with him? So have any of you been in a similar situation? Do you have someone to recommend?

They have our money as the account is a Direct Withdrawal, All assistance is appreciated.

Once they charge you the DAC rate as compared to the 3 tier subsidized KWH rate your bill will be 3X your usual bill for similar consumption. Seems to me it might be your air conditioning usage over the past 7 or 8 months that might have cost more than you think you were paying per 2 months because your alloted 3000 KWHs subsidized usage in 12 months didn´t last you 12 months. Possibly this is your current situaton. What was your last 6 bills KWH usage total [12 months]? If it is 3000 KWHs or under you not in the DAC rate.

I chose a long time ago not to have my bills paid automatically for just this reason. After getting bills less than 250 pesos for 2 months for several years, I got a bill for 2500 pesos. Nothing had changed in my consumption. I don´t have AC, just lights, a washing machine, and a few simple appliances. My meter reading bore no resemblance whatsoever to the reading on the bill. Brought my meter reading into the office, she said they obviously didn´t read the meter (it was summer and my road gets bad and those guys won´t get out of their trucks to walk 50 meters), so it was estimated, but she said they are supposed to estimate based on past readings. She adjusted my bill-from 2500 pesos to 198.

17 hours ago, mkshawn said:

We used Sr. Bernabe many years ago when we couldn't get any action from CFE and we were very pleased with his abilities to rectify the problem...

First thank you for taking the time to respond: So I totalled our usage off the history on the back of our Invoice. We are way short of the DAC unless there is something about it that I do not understand. We are away April - October 183± days each yr. The house is not occupied, rented or borrowed. No AC, small dunk pool

362 + 463 + 402 + 356 + 196 + 389 the top 6 readings

= 2168

389 + 277 + 404 + 396 + 349 + 204 the bottom 6 readings

= 2019, yes I used the middle number 389 on both

The other item we noticed is that since the last reading 26 days elapsed & 110 kWhr were consumed: 4.32 kWhr /day? The billing period in question is 121 days, @ 11.45 kWh /day or 1386 kWh rounded up from 1385.45 - our current usage vs CFE usage ratio is 2.7 times current? 

Thanks for the phone numbers, both land line & a confirmation on Sr Bernabe cell number. 

Setting aside the CFE bill data for a moment, have you checked / read / photo'd the actual meter reading, both to be sure CFE read it correctly, and as a proof for your records, and to take into the billing office?     This is a good and simple thing to start with, both for yourself and for CFE.

CFE has been the bane of my existence in Mexico.

I used to get $13,000 peso (yes thirteen thousand pesos) bills from CFE for a 2-br house -- no pool, no jacuzzi, nada... not even an electric garage opener.

I had electricians (checked for neighbors stealing, line leaks, etc.,) put in new meters, replaced my refrigerator, replaced my pressure pump, replaced my television and even replaced my computer.  I eventually hired a lawyer -- all to no avail.

My bills continued at $12,000 - $13,000 pesos every two months.

I had to move. But at least I have all new appliances.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this Topic Nov 6th, since that point I have been calling both numbers daily. Nada, either on Holiday or has moved on?

Sr Bernabe Lazcano 333.447.8103, retired from the CFE & his land line at 766-1274

So if any of you have another Electrician's name & number that would be appreciated. By the  way in the interim I have been doing all our usual power consuming things & the meter shows that our daily usage is 6-7 kWh or in our case bang on historically!

Good to know about the daily consumption being OK.    

So - Have you checked the CFE meter reading versus what the "out of whack" CFE bill said?    My guess is a reading error on that most recent bill, and not an electrical problem.       

On November 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM, mkshawn said:

The other item we noticed is that since the last reading 26 days elapsed & 110 kWhr were consumed: 4.32 kWhr /day? The billing period in question is 121 days, @ 11.45 kWh /day or 1386 kWh rounded up from 1385.45 - our current usage vs CFE usage ratio is 2.7 times current? 

Go Solar, I believe the above partially answers your question. The Jun 07 - 08 Aug was an estimate based on previous monthly use then they submitted the Jun 07 - Oct 16, 121dias for $2,733.00. So up to the Jun 07 we were fine. Since then we have this high usage followed by our normal.

Archived