Chapala.com Webboard

New Restaurant opening in San Antonio Tuesday Nov 22

holdrja

Antonio Enciso is opening a new Mexican restaurant in San Antonio Tlayacapan, at La Paz 59 (about a block down from Adelita’s).  Level room for about 200 people, dance floor, lots of music.  It will be called La Casa Del Músico (the House Musician).  There will be an opening party the afternoon of November 22, which is the Day of the Musician, with live music from 5 – 8 pm.  Tony says to bring your own liquor, as he doesn’t have a liquor license yet.

For those who are not aware of it, Tony and Nanette (recently deceased) Enciso were the people responsible for cleaning up the graffiti in San Antonio and then branching out to help the Chapala folks get going.  Tony is a giant among local graffiti warriors and I hope you all will support him in this new endeavor.

I don't think those things are equal. There are lots of BAD restaurants that come and go pretty quickly, and while I would hope for success, there is a big difference being a helpful community-oriented person and lousy food.

Since the restaurant is not even open yet can we wait to judge how effectively Tony runs it and how good or bad the food is? Since Tony is a member of the Mario's Restaurant family he likely knows what he is doing. I believe that people who have been active in their communities doing good things for decades are worthy of initial support when beginning a new venture. After that they will earn my repeat business. 

Absolutely. I trust my comments were taken as a general rule-of-thumb, not an indication of what I may or may not think about Tony or his upcoming endeavour. I do get tired of people 'discovering' a restaurant and immediately saying "Let's support this place so it doesn't go out of business"; a business will live or die based on itself.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:09 AM, Xena said:

Since the restaurant is not even open yet can we wait to judge how effectively Tony runs it and how good or bad the food is? Since Tony is a member of the Mario's Restaurant family he likely knows what he is doing. I believe that people who have been active in their communities doing good things for decades are worthy of initial support when beginning a new venture. After that they will earn my repeat business. 

Couldn't agree more.  I love Tony but I can't imagine why he is getting into such a crowded business around here.  I hope it succeeds.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:45 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Absolutely. I trust my comments were taken as a general rule-of-thumb, not an indication of what I may or may not think about Tony or his upcoming endeavour. I do get tired of people 'discovering' a restaurant and immediately saying "Let's support this place so it doesn't go out of business"; a business will live or die based on itself.

But.....if you try a new place and love it, I think it's a good idea to let the world around you know about it.  Word of mouth is the best advertising. (Or the worst, depending on what people think of and say about the FOOD)

Again, absolutely. I think both of us have enough "reviews" on here to attest to that. I care about food, service, and ambience, in that order. There is a dumpy little place near the lake at the end of Las Redes in Chapala, across from Letra Ch. They serve the best damn tacos and other Mexican food there. The floor is loose red gravel, the walls are bush fronds. The chairs are plastic from a beer company. But the people are great, service is fast, the place is clean, and the food is just dandy... and I will go back anytime. From these comments, "readers" should be able to see what is important to me.

As for Antonio, I realize now that the property is his, and that's why the restaurant will be there. I do worry that at the end of that diddley little street, so far out of the way, it could be a problem. He did say he has a lot behind that he may be able to get for parking. I would never comment on his food until I had it.

One more thing: everyone's tastes vary widely, we all know this. So one trip to a restaurant by someone I don't know, and then an admonishment to "support it" is, to me, patronizing.

Archived