Chapala.com Webboard

What is happening

artsnob

Whew!  I am sure glad that some of the posters were not standing watch on my schooner in the middle of the Pacific, back in 1975, or we would still be out there, going in circles, or even figure eights.  Everybody should buy a pocket compass and learn how to use it. One day, it may save your life. 

Well seeing how no one is stating what will be built on the site, I stopped by and asked at the food takeout place to the West of the construction site on the same side of the Carretera.  Both the workers in the store and the two customers from the neighborhood were told and tend to believe that the site will be turned into a Car wash facility. That doesn't make sense to me, but that is what they were told and believe.

Well, at least is wan't really the whole block!  Ajijic will never be a Pueblo Magico what with all the commercial noise (bars, gyms, carpenter shops that are much busier now than before, misc. eventos including rock concerts, etc.)  and now either a car wash or a big pawn shop on a major corner.  Aren't the pueblo magicos supposed to have a lot of traditional charm?  That seems to be gradually disappearing from Ajijic due to too much commercialization - and traffic.

20 hours ago, Xena said:

According to a poster on TOB:"... that corner will be a new building/facility for a new First Cash operation. You will be able to pawn and borrow in style."

If you live in that neighborhood, now they can rob you and walk right across the street to pawn you stuff -- how convenient! Oh crap! 

Guest bennie2

harryb, entire neigborhoods were bull dozed over night in guadalajara. this includes most mansions churches musuems private homes. it took about 40 years to destroy the entire city. malls apt buildings factories are the whats in store here. thats how they roll, expect this.

At this point it is all rumor.  I can't quite see a pawn shop in that location but just think about how easy it will be to find your stolen stuff! :D

BigD if you are from Big D, surely you jest.  There's so much development in that area it makes anything around here look piddling.

If you want to get away from it all, go to New Mexico.  That place is seriously stagnant.  Went back after 8 years, hardly saw any change at all.

Upon considering this topic and the sights and sounds as you enter town, I think the "Pueblo Magico" idea was somebody's pipe dream and the chances of it becoming a reality are unlikely.  This is no Bernal or SMA with enough notable sights to balance the rest.

When people are moaning about how commercial it's getting, there's another thought to go with that:  Nearly everybody enjoys the convenience of having more than one store for shopping.  "Everybody" includes all the Mexicans shopping at Walmart.  If somebody wants an  environment such as that which existed decades ago, there are still small towns in Mexico where it can be found, and instead of complaining about the changes here, maybe it would be better to seek their dreams where modernization hasn't happened as yet.  Modernization is like the wind:  Can't stop it by wishing.  It's too late here, for certain.

Typical of Mexico. There is a building going in above and to the east of us. A fairly small footprint but utilizing a very steep incline. At first we assumed a casa but then they kept building and what we thought was the house has now become parking. So we all figured offices. They continue to build up and now we are thinking condos. The workers themselves say they have no idea. Muy Mexicano.

Well I was referring to all the VACANT commercial space in this area and yet more keeps going up.  Not that many new stores really, just a lot of vacant new store space.  Kinda makes me wonder if money is just being parked in these buildings.

Most of the little mom and pop stores and restaurants really don't make enough to pay much in the way of rents.

Hi Guys! is this thread related to this? ir this is another thing?

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/49029-ajijic-neighbors-oppose-new-hotel

Thanks

Archived