Chapala.com Webboard

New Brew House

Kyle

We have been there several times now and look forward to going back. Really enjoyed our food and had good service every time. Based on some comments we paid attention to the wait staff on our last visit - although we had good service on our previous visits. It seemed pretty clear to us that not all the employees on the floor are waiters - some appeared to be more like busboys. It did seem like everybody was moving around a bit more although we had no complaints on our previous visits.

Anyway, we REALLY like the food and have had good service, The staff are very friendly and eager to please. It is noisy but that doesn't bother us - all part of the experience. We had fun and enjoyed our meals.

I absolutely understand that others may not have had positive experiences.

We will be regulars. If at some point if we are not as happy with their food or service we will simply quit going. I personally would never post an extremely negative review of any business but understand that others don't see things that way.

31 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Why is there a noise problem at this place?  Is it from the road or another source?  We're interested in giving it a try but noisy is a deal killer for us when it comes to restaurants.

Are there better times to go when noise would not be an issue here?

Thanks.

I figure that the best time to go is too early for the patrons to be heavily into their beers.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Why is there a noise problem at this place?  Is it from the road or another source?  We're interested in giving it a try but noisy is a deal killer for us when it comes to restaurants.

Are there better times to go when noise would not be an issue here?

Thanks.

It's noisy because it's a reasonably small room with hard surfaces everywhere.  When the restaurant is busy, all the customer's voices and kitchen noise seem quite loud.  I spoke with Jason, who is a partner there, and he told me that they were getting some sound-deadening materials to put on the walls.  That will make a huge difference!

This is clearly a place where "different strokes" applies.  Sorry, but this is pretty negative.  However, the following was the experience of all of our group.

Four of us went at noon today.  It was half full shortly after opening.

Setting:  tables big enough for two were set up for five.(and none of us are supersized) Hard chairs.  Bar stools look uncomfortable.  All metal. Some kind of pounding noise to accompany the terrible accoustics.  Had to shout across the narrow tables.

Service:  No problem.  Pleasant servers.

Food:  Four orders:  one caesar salad with chicken: looked good and diner liked it.  Generous portion.   One fish and chips: He liked it and praised the tartar sauce. One lamb shepherd's pie consisting of tough shredded lamb shank and some mashed potatoes, seasoned strangely.   One order of "sliders" which were unclear on the concept.  Impossibly thick buns & meat patty, rendering them impossible to bite down on and requiring dis-assembly to consume.  Not lovable.

Beer: 50 pesos for a glass of their home brew which was judged not as good as the better brews in the store.

NOISE:  Deafening.   A DEAL BREAKER.    Won't be back.

Pretty simple!  It's a pub and long overdue at Lakeside.  Food, beer and service all good.  $2.50US for a draught beer is unheard of in the U.S.  In fact just do the math on all of the prices.  If you still have a complaint it would likely indicate that you shouldn't be living here.  As said...."It's pretty simple".  As for the noise.......that's part of a pub's atmosphere.....and if you still have a complaint would likely suggest that you avoid pubs.  Last night there were 18 of us at the Brew House who all knew each other.  We were spread around the pub at different tables as no more than 4 of us knew that any of the others were going to be there.  Prior to leaving all of us had the opportunity to talk and guess what......no complaints at all and I have to suggest that "gringal" definitely wasn't one of the 18.

39 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Pretty simple!  It's a pub and long overdue at Lakeside.  Food, beer and service all good.  $2.50US for a draught beer is unheard of in the U.S.  In fact just do the math on all of the prices.  If you still have a complaint it would likely indicate that you shouldn't be living here.  As said...."It's pretty simple".  As for the noise.......that's part of a pub's atmosphere.....and if you still have a complaint would likely suggest that you avoid pubs.  Last night there were 18 of us at the Brew House who all knew each other.  We were spread around the pub at different tables as no more than 4 of us knew that any of the others were going to be there.  Prior to leaving all of us had the opportunity to talk and guess what......no complaints at all and I have to suggest that "gringal" definitely wasn't one of the 18.

Yes, it's a pub, and if that's what you're looking for, by all means go there and enjoy it. I didn't know what to expect on that first visit.  Silly me, I was looking for lunch.

I was recounting my group's experience as objectively as possible so that people know what to expect.  Others had indicated that the food was really good, so we gave it a try on our weekly dining meet. Regardless of your opinion of the beer, I call it overpriced at 50 pesos a glass for beer in Mexico.  Just about double of most other restaurants.  Matter of opinion re the quality.   You needn't get snarky, Carivore.  It's your cuppa, but not mine.  At least, between my post and yours, people know what to expect and won't waste their time if that's not what they want.

Gringal, I think what carnivore was mostly trying to say is that, for a micro-brewery with specialty beers, 50 pesos is extremely reasonable!  You can't get most of those beers at other restaurants in Lakeside.

I'm sorry that it wasn't your cup of tea, but for many of us, bringing an urban-style brewpub to Ajijic is what we've been waiting for!  I know that they'll be fixing the noise problem very soon.

14 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Gringal, I think what carnivore was mostly trying to say is that, for a micro-brewery with specialty beers, 50 pesos is extremely reasonable!  You can't get most of those beers at other restaurants in Lakeside.

I'm sorry that it wasn't your cup of tea, but for many of us, bringing an urban-style brewpub to Ajijic is what we've been waiting for!  I know that they'll be fixing the noise problem very soon.

I have no problem with the price of a micro-brewery's beer IF the beer is outstanding; better than what you can buy elsewhere.  I've happily paid higher prices for specialty beers NOB.   I tasted this, and was not impressed.  Neither were the two guys in my party.  YMMV, and that's what makes for success or failure in places that serve food and drink.

We enjoyed tasting the beers but won't be back until the noise is taken care of.   I don't remember being in a pub in the States where I had to actually shout across 2  to 2 1/2 feet to make myself heard across the table.  Not fun for us ... but to each his own.  Of course, we were right next to a table of about 12 people that were all shouting across the table at each other so it was pretty miserable. 

We went tonight, our group was extremely satisfied with the beer and the food, It was great quality, the salmon outstanding with fresh vegetables, don't miss out on the lamb sliders,yummy...You now need reservation to get in, they were full and turning people away, and the noise level was not that bad...

• 3 weeks later...

We dined there last night. It had been 2 weeks since we went just after they opened. This time, all was good. Service prompt. Beef short ribs with garlic mashed and corn on the cob were outstanding. Caesar salad and pasta alfredo were equally good. Some 6 friends at another table said their meals were good with a couple having the fish and chips, saying it was fantastic. The owners listened to the early feedback and adjusted accordingly. 

Because of the great reviews here my wife and I decided to try this place today. All I can say is what a surprise! We were the first ones there before they even opened today so naturally didn't have to worry about over crowding or loud music. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. Of course since we were the first ones there we basically had the place to ourselves. The decor fit in nicely with the theme of being a brew pub.

I had the fish and chips and I think they were some of the best if not  the best that I've had down here. Large pieces of fish and not overly breaded. Fries were crispy on the outside and tender inside. My wife had the 4 mini tuna tacos with wasabi sauce, radishes, sesame seeds and jalapeno. She loved them.

Last but not least was the great selection of beers. I wish there was more restaurants here that took advantage of the great craft beers that are available.

We'll definitely be back.

Edited by Moderator because this entire post was a personal attack.

I better not see another one like this from you.

Just so we all understand, this section is for posting our reviews and experiences GOOD or BAD.  Keep the focus on yourself and your experience.  Try to avoid going overboard with criticism, use neutral language and avoid hyperbole either pro or con.  Remember to post what you ordered, what it cost and observations about service and setting.

If it is a new place, clear directions also appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what evenings they are not open during the week? 

BTW, we've been there twice and love it.  The food is very good, great service, we love the ambiance and they go out of their way to make you comfortable.  It is a new, regular go-to place for us.

They are closed thursdays. The glass wall giving a view of the brew room probably causes the noise issue which is for real.

I find it interesting that "newbees" who are here on 20 peso dollars find prices cheap;which is fine for them. Those of us who are living on 10 peso savings are not cheap just living on money at a different rate. When vendors price their products based on the current exchange rate they are hurting the Mexicans and expat residents.

BTW we liked the place too. Corona light on draft, bar food ample and well priced. Friendly staff. please get the noise baffles in pronto!

Archived