Chapala.com Webboard

New Brew House

Kyle

48 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Looks like a new Microbrewery and maybe pub is opening in the West end across the side street from the French bakery.  Anyone know anything?

Jason from Adelita's sent out this email yesterday:

A little shameless plug... I (Jason) am a partner in a new venture that opens this Friday. It's a California style gastro brew pub featuring a local brew Corazon de Malta. We will have an emphasis on craft beer but obviously we will also carry a few national brands, wine, booze etc. Also we will have some EXCELLENT food on the menu! I have groomed a fantastic team through Adelita that are ready to take the helm at the new place! Lamb shank, Sheppard's pie, Seared tuna tacos, slow cooked beef ribs just to name a few! We open this Friday at noon! I hope you can stop by for a bite and a drink! we are located on the west side of Ajijic (for some reason Google says it's San Antonio??). We are a bit past Villa Nova but before the Tuesday market. Maybe you know the Hacienda steak house or the French pastry shop? That's where we are. Here is a link to the map:

https://www.google.com.mx/ maps/place/Brew+House+by+ Corazon+de+Malta/@20.3001468,- 103.2777709,15z/data=!4m5!3m4! 1s0x0:0x922f52fbecd874ed!8m2! 3d20.3001468!4d-103.2777709

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

Oh, good. A fireplace.

It is behind where the Italian Restaurant was, no fireplace. Peeked in yesterday. Cute place, much smaller than Adelita's. They are going to have some of the things on Adelita's menu plus other dishes.

There is only 2 things on the menu from Adelita's. All the rest are new to this site. About 20 small plate items for sharing in addition to short-ribs and lamb shanks, shepherd's pie (beef, lamb or chicken), fish and chips to name a couple.

A friend and I just came from the Brew House.  It will be a VERY long time until I will go baclk

First, the volume of noise is horrendous.  They intend  to do something about it but it will take awhile.

Second, The service is a disaster.  It took 45 minutes to get three tiny tacos with chopped up bits of aracherra that could have been cooked in no more than 3 minutes. The waiter was called over three times, a manager spoken to twice and a supervisor twice asking where our food was.  None went into the kitchen to check.

During this time several people came in after us and left.  We were still waiting.  Someone who had been there before said they are very disorganized.  An understatement if I ever heard one.

After we had paid the bill we discovered another manager who checked into what had happened and apologized and offered us a lunch on them.  I said thank you but no thanks.  He was the only one who cared about what happened and why.

At some point they might get it right but they are a far cry from it now.`````

I am adding this..They were posting and advertised that the staff had been trained at Adelita before being posted to Adelita's new venture.  Either the training didn't take or Adelita does not know how to train.  The fundamentals of service were nowhere to be found.

The restaurant has only been open 5 days. Give it 2 weeks. There were some service issues when we went on Sunday, namely one head waiter doing all the work and 4-5 people standing talking to one another! You don't get to gripe in the first 2 weeks!

I can't believe how many people either have never heard  of or don't believe the old axiom of"you only have one chance to make a good first impression".

Best to have a few days of free stuff in return for honest feedback.

I would think management would love to hear the things going wrong in their new venture.   It gives them info on kinks to work out and an opportunity to give clients and future clients the impression that they value their opinions.   As you well know this is something consultants do for big bucks while this board is doing it here for free.   I think he/she/they should welcome the input.  I know I would.  But you're absolutely correct about waiting a few weeks.

4 hours ago, Shira said:

A friend and I just came from the Brew House.  It will be a VERY long time until I will go baclk

First, the volume of noise is horrendous.  They intend  to do something about it but it will take awhile.

Second, The service is a disaster.  It took 45 minutes to get three tiny tacos with chopped up bits of aracherra that could have been cooked in no more than 3 minutes. The waiter was called over three times, a manager spoken to twice and a supervisor twice asking where our food was.  None went into the kitchen to check.

During this time several people came in after us and left.  We were still waiting.  Someone who had been there before said they are very disorganized.  An understatement if I ever heard one.

After we had paid the bill we discovered another manager who checked into what had happened and apologized and offered us a lunch on them.  I said thank you but no thanks.  He was the only one who cared about what happened and why.

I am adding this..They were posting and advertised that the staff had been trained at Adelita before being posted to Adelita's new venture.  Either the training didn't take or Adelita does not know how to train.  The fundamentals of service were nowhere to be found.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience, but we had a great experience on Sunday night.  No problems with service or food.  And from several people that I've either spoken with, or have read their reviews, it appears that most people have been very happy!

The noise issue will be an easy fix, but they have to custom fit noise-reducing material into the ceiling area.  I hope that people will be forgiving, and not bad-mouth them in the initial first few days.  How would you like it if people didn't forgive you when you made a mistake occasionally?

Good for you having a good experience Suegarn.. You are always preaching how people should act as you are so perfect.   If it had been a mistake or a problem  and they tried to rectify it it would be forgivable but no one went into the kitchen to see where our order was.  The waiter turned out to be the culprit when the person I think is a partner, got involved after we exited and he admitted to being at fault  when pressed.  He is not a new waiter.  He is a veteran Adelita waiter.  No one stopped their personal conversations,  including management,  to check for our order.

None of their handling of the situation was done in a way that makes me want to return.  I never say never but it will be a very long time before I even think about it.

Their menu sure looks good. As does Adelita's, although I find nothing to recommend food-wise Adelita's except that it's "good". By that I mean, if someone asks me "where can I go for a really good meal?," I can't say Adelita's without adding "They are consistently middle-of-the-road, so you won't dislike it." The menu at this new place is a cut above most of what we are used to around here, and I would really like to see it work. I guess the thing to do is wait awhile and then try.

Shira, as I said before, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.  They obviously made mistakes, which hopefully they have learned from.  I understand that first impressions mean a lot, but I believe in giving people a second chance.  If that makes me 'preachy' and 'so perfect', well then, I guess I am!  :)

Imagine if that manager or partner had gotten involved sooner with Shira's group, made nice, listened attentively, comped the whole meal and sent out dessert. I suspect that she would be singing the praises of a place that did not do well but then recognized their mistake and did the right thing after all. And made sure the diners nearby realized what was going down.  For an incredibly small number of pesos they could have gained a huge amount of positive publicity.

Pappys, right on, and that kind of thinking seems to fly over the heads of most of them. It doesn't even matter if you think the customer is a flying ****ole, you put on your biggest smile and do it. And you get the biggest reward. So easy, costs so little.

On November 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Shira said:

I'm sure they won't miss you if you never go back...  

The place had just opened.. They offered you a free lunch..  They tried to make it right...  But you still had to post such a negative review.. 

Just about everyone is saying good things about them..  I guess the old adage is true... 

You can't please some people any of the time...

9 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I'm sure they won't miss you if you never go back...  

The place had just opened.. They offered you a free lunch..  They tried to make it right...  But you still had to post such a negative review.. 

Just about everyone is saying good things about them..  I guess the old adage is true... 

You can't please some people any of the time...

This is a good example of getting personal when posting.  If one doesn't agree with a review, the correct response is to address items in that review for which one has personal experience.  That doesn't include attacking the experiences of the other person.  You didn't have those experiences and hence are not qualified to invalidate them.  You are qualified to post that you didn't have those experiences.

I see nothing in this post describing your personal experience with this restaurant.  Instead, it is entirely an attack on the review of another member.  This sort of posting is not permitted here.  

I'm getting tired of this kind of thing from you TelsZ4, knock it off or else.  

I decided to post this admonition publicly as a general example of what is expected here in posting reviews or responses to other posts.  Those of you who can't post in a civil and non personal manner here are welcome to go to TOB.

Since the preponderance of opinions is positive, we're going to try it on Friday.  If I don't like what I experience, I'll be specific.  I probably won't like the noise, but if the food is good, I'll give that a plug.   Some restaurants in this area are inconsistent, and reviews are bound to be at opposite poles.

Reading this thread I get the feeling we have here another case of a restaurant not thoroughly putting itself through the paces before opening to the general public.

I have a friend whose son is a manager of multiple restaurants in the U.S.  Before opening to the public, they have a test run where a limited number are invited to come at a substantial discount off of usual prices in return for which they are asked to provide their candid, spare no feelings, evaluation of the food and staff.  If the reviews are bad enough, corrections are made and a second test conducted before opening.

There was a place a few years back, "Joe's" I think, opened on the carretera after obviously spending a lot of effort on the building and themes.  The opening was a complete disaster, everyone panned the place and it was closed in a matter of several months.

My wife and I went by there on Sunday after church. I found it to be quite nice! I believe all places have their bad moments so I try not to sweat the small stuff. My wife and I had the sheplers lamb pie, that was really good!!! The beef ribs where good! And the waiter's were really attentive. And the prices were very reasonable.

Archived