Chapala.com Webboard

Thinking about solar . . .

J.Miller

19 hours ago, bradshoe said:

We have both solar water and solar electric.  We've had solar water for 5 years and it paid for itself in the first year.  We only fill our propane once a year now instead of every three months.  The solar electric we did through STI.  We have 2 solar panels connected to a microinverter system that was a fraction of the cost of other systems and it cut our electric bill in half and keeps us well below the DAC and it's easily expandable if our usage should go up.  Solar Technology (STI) did an excellent job of instillation and we've never had any issues.  Just depend on what your needs are.

Their local rep is Ron Magen and his email is ron@solartechnology.com.mx

We also have an STI system with microinverters.  The original batch of microinverters were glitchy and STI replaced them earlier this year with much more robust units that are performing flawlessly and actually increased our output about 5 percent.  We have 18 panels which makes all our power needs for a large house with pool and two fish ponds that have pumped waterfalls, plus the whole house domestic water pressure system.

Very satisfied.  At the time we bought I felt STI understood the engineering of these systems better than their competitors and their pricing was excellent.

12 hours ago, J.Miller said:

Thank you everyone; you have all been very helpful.  Can anyone tell me how long installation takes?  Not that it is important, I am just curious from first contact to finished product was it days or weeks?

I think that will depend on how large your systems ends up being and if they have the panels on hand. Our system took about a week from e Sun from initial meeting and calculations at house and install. The install for 6 panels on a precarious mirador roof was one day.

12 hours ago, J.Miller said:

Thank you everyone; you have all been very helpful.  Can anyone tell me how long installation takes?  Not that it is important, I am just curious from first contact to finished product was it days or weeks?

I think that will depend on how large your systems ends up being and if they have the panels on hand. Our system took about a week from e Sun from initial meeting and calculations at house and install. The install for 6 panels on a precarious mirador roof was one day.

If you are at the "just thinking" stage, you might want to know that China has built up a large surplus of solar panels right now. The Solar City company, which Tesla wants to buy, is anticipating a big price drop for panels. Everybody is waiting. Just like home security systems though, the skill and experience of the electrician/installers is much more important than the price of the hardware.

Please take note that no one has mentioned how good service is from E2 (now SmartPV).  That's because I and everyone I know that purchased from them has never needed service!  Also, I highly recommend getting proposals from 2 or more vendors.  Pay particular attention to the manufacturers of the panels and the inverter.  Personally, I wanted US, Japan, or European brands.  Those vendors have stayed in business for many years.  Many others e.g. Chinese have failed.  Your 10 or 20 year warranty is useless when a maker is out of business.  Finally, insist that your proposal shows the make and model number of every component.  Without that information your warranty will be useless if the local company goes out of business.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, J.Miller said:

I know that this has been covered before but I would like some updated information on the pros and cons of going solar.  I would like the names of the best companies to deal with either here or in Guadalajara (if they would consider installation Lakeside) and it would be nice to hear the good, the bad and the ugly of your experience with Solar and solar companies. 

Pros -- reduced or eliminate bi-monthly CFE payments.   Cons - if you can't afford the start up expense.   Read the experience of the posters and I think you will find anyone that's been lakeside longer than heartbeat will tell you E2 Engergies (Bettina's the contact person) and E-Sun Energy.  Find out what products they have available and google reviews of them.  Also, talk to them.   Ask them point blank questions.   I'd go with the person who answered my questions clearly and frankly -- not the one who blabbered on for 20 minutes and couldn't give me a direct answer.    And as to my experience -- exactly what El Salto said.

3 hours ago, el bartman said:

Pros -- reduced or eliminate bi-monthly CFE payments.   Cons - if you can't afford the start up expense.   Read the experience of the posters and I think you will find anyone that's been lakeside longer than heartbeat will tell you E2 Engergies (Bettina's the contact person) and E-Sun Energy.  Find out what products they have available and google reviews of them.  Also, talk to them.   Ask them point blank questions.   I'd go with the person who answered my questions clearly and frankly -- not the one who blabbered on for 20 minutes and couldn't give me a direct answer.    And as to my experience -- exactly what El Salto said.

I've been here 15 years and I think Ron Magen is the best. All those mentioned are probably all good? 

BEST DECISION EVER! We had solar put in around 4-5 years ago by E-Sun and the savings was unbelievable. Our CFE bills went from around $4100/2 months to $46-150/mo. We had one small glitch in the beginning and it was immediately addressed. Regardless of who you use, you will not regret going solar. I'm ashamed (only slightly) to admit that I cackle each time we get our CFE bill.

19 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Please take note that no one has mentioned how good service is from E2 (now SmartPV).  That's because I and everyone I know that purchased from them has never needed service!  Also, I highly recommend getting proposals from 2 or more vendors.  Pay particular attention to the manufacturers of the panels and the inverter.  Personally, I wanted US, Japan, or European brands.  Those vendors have stayed in business for many years.  Many others e.g. Chinese have failed.  Your 10 or 20 year warranty is useless when a maker is out of business.  Finally, insist that your proposal shows the make and model number of every component.  Without that information your warranty will be useless if the local company goes out of business.

We also used E2 Energias ( now SmartPV ) and had excellent service and a price 1800 USD lower than eSun's quote.  We would highly recommend them.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2016 at 9:33 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Very good friend of mine, Nyah Walters, is an expert at eSun Energy near WalMart. 331-400-2646

We highly recommend Nyah at eSun.

• 1 year later...

My experience with Thermosol with tubular solar hot water system was far from good.  I live in Upper Ajijic and within a year the condenser tubes within the outer tubes that attach to the tank corroded causing leakage and a big mess.  3 times they came out to replace the tubes and then told me it was my fault because my water was too acidic.  They never tested my water beforehand and refused after 2 years to do anymore  maintenance.  Granted they say they will pay me half and take out the system but they never tested the water beforehand and their warranty which they did not give me in the beginning but later emailed me, stated the warranty was void if the water was acidic. They tested it later and it was 6.3, 6.4.     I do not want to bad mouth the company but people should be warned.  They were professional and courteous but do have a water-test done before putting in a tubular system and perhaps a flat panel system if the same goes for that system.

IMG_20170424_100424.jpg

IMG_20170424_100503.jpg

IMG_20170424_100428.jpg

IMG_20170424_100421.jpg

IMG_20180403_161600.jpg

Looks like a few helpful reply posts were lost here since the other day, incl Johansons,  re-posting this:

For perspective, these types of vacuum tube heaters (wet tube and the dry heat pipe tube you have) are in successful wide and long term use all across lakeside and most of MX.    Highly efficient and effective.    We also supply the flat panel heaters so am giving a balanced perspective here.      

I'm guessing the issue is more likely an issue with the tube or tank seals, than the pH of the water.      It also appears the pressure relief valve on top of the tank has actuated a number of times.    

See heat pipe image and also this link below.

https://www.watersystemscouncil.org/download/wellcare_information_sheets/potential_groundwater_contaminant_information_sheets/9709284pH_Update_September_2007.pdf

heat pipe tube.png

• 3 years later...

I’ve been trying to contact Matt Neighbor on the phone numbers provided here, but it seems like it’s disconnected or out of service. Matt installed panels at some of our properties. Also, emails bounce back to his email address, and his website doesn’t load. Does anyone have current contact information for him? @johanson @MyHomeSweetHome

Sorry I do not have contact information for Matt. I can only say that I have never had any problems with my solar hot water system nor my electric solar panels.  However, I do have to occasionally dust the panels, but nothing else. 

• Like 1