Chapala.com Webboard

Censorship, Murder & Lake Chapala's Economy

MexLuis

In 2014,  with the murders in La Floresta of the two Canadians, our view of area crime has been limited.

This web board which is run by area realtors, announced at that point:

"Local crime reporting is not permitted on this board.". (Yet, we are allowed to discuss crime in SMA & other areas of Mexico)

At the same time, the Chapala Crime reporting site also went offline.

In addition to that, crime reporting in local newspapers became sparse, particularly that with results in area deaths.

What has been voiced in this offline community of Chapala is concerning.

Those with a stake in real estate or government, are controlling the media and what is stated online.

The economy is important to both, but should never be a reason to withhold area crime posts and reporting.

This does not yet have control of Facebook social media, but that area is being monitored by the Lake Chapala officials.  If upset presents on that source, note how quickly someone in charge (group leader) is contacted.

The goal here is not to serve the public, but rather to quiet that public's fears.

I do believe that reporting should be without censorship.

I do believe for this to be a valuable resource to those investigating this area, that crime be allowed to be reported.

A recent break in at gunpoint, ended in the death of a resident.  No news on that.  What is wrong with this picture?

40 minutes ago, MexLuis said:

In 2014,  with the murders in La Floresta of the two Canadians, our view of area crime has been limited.

"Local crime reporting is not permitted on this board.". (Yet, we are allowed to discuss crime in SMA & other areas of Mexico)

In addition to that, crime reporting in local newspapers became sparse, particularly that with results in area deaths.

Those with a stake in real estate or government, are controlling the media and what is stated online.

The economy is important to both, but should never be a reason to withhold area crime posts and reporting.

This does not yet have control of Facebook social media, but that area is being monitored by the Lake Chapala officials.  If upset presents on that source, note how quickly someone in charge (group leader) is contacted.

The goal here is not to serve the public, but rather to quiet that public's fears.

I do believe for this to be a valuable resource to those investigating this area, that crime be allowed to be reported.

A recent break in at gunpoint, ended in the death of a resident.  No news on that.  What is wrong with this picture?

Perhaps you should attempt to read or watch/listen to Mexican local media. the written word can be translated by google if your Spanish is not up to snuff. Your complaint is not valid if you only read the limited English news and English webboards. And let me say this,you had better have a cast iron stomach because the mediums I have recommended to you are more graphic than you're use to NOB so there goes your censorship theory. Perhaps you should also pay more attention when you hear a town crier-like person because when something really nasty happens around here some Guadalajara rags send down these guys and you can look at all the gore and read about it too in graphic detail for about 20 pesos or less.

This board is private property and they can do whatever they want to do.  Also as someone else pointed out the other board (TOB) allows much more of a variety of comments. Also since it is easier to read spanish for us than speak it I suggest you read the Laguna spanish newspaper available for ten pesos weekly. I understand your frustration but info is available in other places than this board and obviously management does not want to deal with certain issues which is the right of the owners of this board.

I particurly love the hot sheets with all the gruesome pictures of car wrecks and murders and the cheesecakes at the back.. Sex and gore whatelse could anyone want?

The murder rate amongst expats is low  in no matter if this board allows reporting . Yes there are break.ins and robberies as well and pickpockets but really the really great danger in this town is the Libramiento and the parking lot at Superlake..

If the op is interested start a reporting website and see how many people will help you. See how many people report crime to the MP which is the only place where it should be reported.. I was involved in that a long time ago and I lost interest..people are not interested in this stuff and do not want to be involved.. so good luck to you.

The other website allows crime reporting and read the crime section..pretty slim..

1 hour ago, MexLuis said:

Well said. Some on this Board love it that way, so they can tell everyone how much safer it is here than any place in the world, which, of course, it is not.  And, they are ready to POUNCE on you should you dare to post something to the contrary. (How dare you to suggest THIS is not Paradise !) :(

1 hour ago, ned small said:

Perhaps you should attempt to read or watch/listen to Mexican local media. the written word can be translated by google if your Spanish is not up to snuff. Your complaint is not valid if you only read the limited English news and English webboards. And let me say this,you had better have a cast iron stomach because the mediums I have recommended to you are more graphic than you're use to NOB so there goes your censorship theory. Perhaps you should also pay more attention when you hear a town crier-like person because when something really nasty happens around here some Guadalajara rags send down these guys and you can look at all the gore and read about it too in graphic detail for about 20 pesos or less.

That's true!  In the newspaper business the old saying is, "If it bleeds, it leads!"

33 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Well said. Some on this Board love it that way, so they can tell everyone how much safer it is here than any place in the world, which, of course, it is not.  And, they are ready to POUNCE on you should you dare to post something to the contrary. (How dare you to suggest THIS is not Paradise !) :(

Agree

As has been mentioned many times before, this forum is a commercial enterprise for selling real estate in the area. Obviously, they don't promote any of the less desirable attributes of the area. If that perplexes the people who take issue with this, then why not start your own forum and post topics which you deem important? All it takes is time and money.

I am not sure who Jim Bowie is talking to with his comment. Not one poster on this thread "pounced" on the OP, denied there was crime here or said it was safer here than anywhere else in the world. Posters did offer several sources for crime news and discussion. The posters seem to be well informed about crime here and offered help to the OP. 

12 minutes ago, zerbit said:

As has been mentioned many times before, this forum is a commercial enterprise for selling real estate in the area. Obviously, they don't promote any of the less desirable attributes of the area. If that perplexes the people who take issue with this, then why not start your own forum and post topics which you deem important? All it takes is time and money.

There are free hosting services but it does take a lot of time. The vast majority of people want somebody else to do it for them-NO?

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

This board is private property and they can do whatever they want to do.  Also as someone else pointed out the other board (TOB) allows much more of a variety of comments. Also since it is easier to read spanish for us than speak it I suggest you read the Laguna spanish newspaper available for ten pesos weekly. I understand your frustration but info is available in other places than this board and obviously management does not want to deal with certain issues which is the right of the owners of this board.

Yes they can, do as they want to do.  That was only one aspect of the above posting.  

It seems that with the 2014 crime, sources of news/crime reporting evaporated.  Note that the the Crime website went non operational, and Chapala.com took a no crime reporting permitted approach at the same time.  It will be interesting to see if ANY newspaper prints an article on the robbery/home invasion death that took place recently.

5 minutes ago, MexLuis said:

The above links while informative, do not report Lake Chapala crime.  Example:  The recent robbery at gunpoint, and death of a resident. Which news source does, if any?

The sources I suggested are not links and are you saying that these aren't good enough for you? They seem to be good enough for Most of the Mexicans I know and also my foreign friends that are interested in the Mexican media because that's where they live now. If there was a recent robbery and death of a resident it would have been reported complete with pictures of all the gore if any

You might want to notice that there is some reporting of crime here.  Too often these reports end up being rampant exercises in sensationalism and false information. 

There was no connection between this board and Lakeside crime.  Basically, the latter simply had no one and no funds to sustain it.  To suggest this board's sponsors had anything to do with that is false and insulting.

As noted previously you can use TOB to report, theorize and sensationalize to your heart's content.  You can also insult and attack to your heart's content.

Archived