Chapala.com Webboard

chilly AM

MarkEliot

Something is wrong with WU reporting. It definitely was not 57F here in PV a half hour ago when I got up. But that was 4 degrees colder than yesterday morning!

I love this time of year. Beautiful sunrise, morning dew, burned off by the hot, intense sun. Blue, blue skies. Beginning of fireplace season, smell of wood smoke in the air. High of 93 degrees in day, 73 low at night, no thanks Pappy - you flat landers can keep it :P. Only complaint, mosquitoes were almost nill, then unseasonal rains, they are back. These nightime lows will keep them away again. Everybody got their firewood in? Start a new thread?

Lived up there for 6 years and in PV for 8. Pluses and minuses for both but at least neither one is NOB. Fewer expats here compared to LC. Could be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. Better weather up there from June to November, better here from December to May, IMHO. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito here and bobos don't live here. Traffic can be bad but usually not like it was up there last September. Looking out on the beautiful bay the water is clean and no lirio. (Sorry that was uncalled for.) High of 88 and a low around 75 with lower humidity since about a week ago (the bathroom door no longer sticks). The first summer is the worst and then something happens and you adapt to the heat and humidity. Chores are done in the morning and afternoons at the beach under a palapa with a cold one and the sea breeze are very comfortable. Get a block away from the ocean going home and you definitely are sweating. We have 3 mini split A/C's and have never used them except to test them every year. Between the daytime sea breeze, ceiling fans, and the nighttime land breeze we are fine. We are up on the hill at 270 feet elevation and the flatlanders do not get those breezes. Highest CFE bill of the year was last week, $864 pesitos. Solar would never have a payback for us. Imagine making pay de quesos for your Mexican friends and having them rave. I could never have imagined. All credit and thanks to our wonderful cook up there, Rosario.

The biggest drawback here is not having so many friends from up there closer. Life is what happens after you make all your plans.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Lived up there for 6 years and in PV for 8. Pluses and minuses for both but at least neither one is NOB. Fewer expats here compared to LC. Could be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. Better weather up there from June to November, better here from December to May, IMHO. I can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito here and bobos don't live here. Traffic can be bad but usually not like it was up there last September. Looking out on the beautiful bay the water is clean and no lirio. (Sorry that was uncalled for.) High of 88 and a low around 75 with lower humidity since about a week ago (the bathroom door no longer sticks). The first summer is the worst and then something happens and you adapt to the heat and humidity. Chores are done in the morning and afternoons at the beach under a palapa with a cold one and the sea breeze are very comfortable. Get a block away from the ocean going home and you definitely are sweating. We have 3 mini split A/C's and have never used them except to test them every year. Between the daytime sea breeze, ceiling fans, and the nighttime land breeze we are fine. We are up on the hill at 270 feet elevation and the flatlanders do not get those breezes. Highest CFE bill of the year was last week, $864 pesitos. Solar would never have a payback for us. Imagine making pay de quesos for your Mexican friends and having them rave. I could never have imagined. All credit and thanks to our wonderful cook up there, Rosario.

The biggest drawback here is not having so many friends from up there closer. Life is what happens after you make all your plans.

pappysmarket, when you say 'up there', where are you talking about?

It has actually been in the low 40's high 30's F here in Lake Chapala before.. I have been here 18 years.  This is quite chilly quite early it seems to me.  Was only in low 50's F last night late..brr.. my house was built to stay cool.  yikes.  Got my heater out. Hate to put it on so early..holding out. LOL. 

Lowest I have seen it in 10 years here was about 8 years ago in lower Chula Vista when there was FROST--it warmed up rapidly but if you were growing veggies you needed to keep the sprinklers on all night! That was in Jan., as I remember. Folks, it is NOT cold YET! There are still Canadians running around in shorts!

PV is not ready for full time living yet. Pappy has been very lucky. The last 4 years the climate from October to April has been awful - really only two, max three months, of predictable nice weather, then, as a blessing, occasional days/weeks of good weather. The new condos must show some innovation, like massive solar electric and water heating panels (especially for pools), integrated into the architectural design of the building. Double or even triple glass windows, well insulated from drafts. Fiber optic internet/cable wiring throughout, even if the providers are not quite there yet. Efficient mini splits can then run on dehumidify setting, keeping out the moist air - very comfortable. Good security, and you can really lock up and go, not worrying about mildew, crawling pests, ongoing maintenance, etc. The way it is now, many condos will not allow solar panels at all, for example, and many are mired in the awful politics and pettiness that is often the mark of any HOA or condo association, most anywhere in the world. Houses do offer much more autonomy, but especially on the coast, need constant repair and upkeep, mostly because they were founded upon poor construction techniques. To manage two houses in Mexico would be a more than a full time job. This is all just an opinion, of course.

I've been here 19 years on October 31st.  A LARGE house was purchased unfurnished and household goods didn't arrive until Jan/February 1998.

Don't remember the date but it was December  1997 and the temp was down to 39 F  and Guadalajara had slight snow. Everything shut down but I do remember

driving to Joco in our "new" used car which had heat. Found a store open on the plaza that  had sweaters and those heavy velour blankets.

Even now anyone who visits in the winter knows to bring a sweater - the house is still cold....  But great in the warm weather.

A warm object can radiate heat 15' to a cooler body. So, the warm body, you, radiate heat to the cooler walls. The uninsulated  masonry walls in MX houses are always cold in the winter and that's why you feel it so much. Not much you can do about it except to bundle up and wait for Spring.

I remember the day of the snow. It was a Saturday morning and we were next to the old Pasada. It was perhaps 36 F out and we actually saw a few snow flakes that did not stick. I later drove to Guadalajara that day and although some parts of GDL had snow I didn't see any. Later on the Mexican news they made an error and where there were a few millimeters of snow they reported it in centimeters or 10 times as much. And I remember that it was near Christmas in either 1997 or 1998

Archived