Chapala.com Webboard

Refund of TIP Deposit

TeeDee

Entered through Nogales, with my Temp Resident paperwork, completed at the Phoenix Consulate.  Banjercito charged me $365.55 for my '01 Nissan.

Received my sticker and I thought they said I had 30 days to complete the process.  I have been working with Senora Nunez at Lake Chapala Society and I am meeting the 30 day residency requirement.  How long can I could drive on it, before I have to return to the border?. When that does occurs will I be refunded?

You can have your TIP extended as part of the Temporal process and that is when you need to do it.  Spencer does this routinely.  You need to bring this up immediately with Sra. Nuñuz.

Once you have the Temporal, you must extend the car permit annually at the time you renew the Temporal.  Once you convert to Permanente, the car must leave the country.  That is required after 4 years of Temporal.

If you definitely decide to stay here, take the car out well in advance of the end of the 4 year Temporal period.  It is a lot less hassle owning a Mexican plated car and right now with the exchange rate so high but car prices have not gone up to match, is a great time to buy Mexican.

Things have probably changed by now, but I did my exit/reenter through Laredo 3 years ago with a $300 deposit on the TIP. At that time you had to notify Aduana within 15 days of any changes, I asked my lawyer to notify them, the problem was that you couldn't notify them until you got your Temporal - mine took 2 months, so much for 15 days. When I left a year later I turned in my TIP at the border and didn't even bother to ask for the deposit - and surprisingly they didn't offer it.

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

You can have your TIP extended as part of the Temporal process and that is when you need to do it.  Spencer does this routinely.  You need to bring this up immediately with Sra. Nuñuz.

Once you have the Temporal, you must extend the car permit annually at the time you renew the Temporal.  Once you convert to Permanente, the car must leave the country.  That is required after 4 years of Temporal.

If you definitely decide to stay here, take the car out well in advance of the end of the 4 year Temporal period.  It is a lot less hassle owning a Mexican plated car and right now with the exchange rate so high but car prices have not gone up to match, is a great time to buy Mexican.

Residente Temporals first timers now first get 1 year and on renewing can get 1, 2, or 3 year renewals since the new INM law. No need to renew annually anymore. Those applying under the "vinculo familiar" law [family bond] can get a 1 to 4 year RT visa/card inside Mexico and need to be on a 2 year RT before applying for a RP.

• 3 weeks later...

With new rules we notify when you do fingerprints as that is when the change is authorized and your 15 day time limit starts to run and documents need to be presented in triplicate at Aduana, my office does this. 

Archived